NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default People's Tobacco Co., LTD. - T216

Our American Card Catalog cards numbered T216, People's Tobacco, are showing up a bit more in recent times, with a few new-to-the-hobby finds. That being said they are certainly still one of the tougher tobacco sets to collect. And if the cards are tough to find the packaging is much tougher.This Mino tobacco pouch seems to be period to the cards (ca.1915s) but the cards would have come in a pack, probably similar in design as a later pack of cigarettes which is pictured on Jon Canfield's (hi Jon) geat website and one which I reference frequently, http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/t216.htm.
Kotton advertising is scarce too and this pouch, if in fact period, could have held a card.
These aren't great pictures as I didn't want to handle the packages anymore than I needed to, for obvious reasons. Show some T216 packaging or cards if you would like to.

Last edited by Leon; 11-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T216 cards' design

Regarding the Kotton, Mino or Virginia Extra card sets, I find it very interesting that these T216 cards are actually designs borrowed from
the American Caramel (E90) sets. A possible explanation for this paradox may be found in the law suit that People's initiated against ATC
in January 1912....which precluded the printing of the T216's by American Litho. (ATC & American Litho. had a close working relationship).

People's Tobacco vs ATC......
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/getcase/us/246/79.html

[linked image][linked image][linked image]

TED Z
Old 11-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Geez I am Slow....

So...I may be the dullard my wife sometimes claims I am...I think I just figured out MINO means Made in New Orleans...

Back to the cool cards, tobacco pouches etc...

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 AM
JeR@Me

Default Great Stuff Guys !

Leon - Thanks for sharing those beautiful packs ! I love all the stuff out of New Orleans ! Some really obscure issues, and interesting backs for sure.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Wow, that is some impressive packaging Leon. Have you thought about how best to preserve/conserve them going forward?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Wow, that is some impressive packaging Leon. Have you thought about how best to preserve/conserve them going forward?
Thanks Dave et al.....as for preserving I am not sure. I have them both put away in small cardboard boxes, inside of a plastic bag in them. They are in a dark, fairly humidity-less place. Not sure what else could be done. I guess we are lucky they survived at all. To date I have not seen other packs/pouches like them, though some probably exist somewhere. best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt216mino.jpg (74.0 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Leon; 11-26-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:08 PM

Just a couple Kottons for me:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tris Speaker (SGC 20).jpg (79.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg John McGraw (SGC 40).jpg (78.2 KB, 94 views)