NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Forgery

After reading all those "what do you think of this one" posts over the past couple of years I decided to open up a Forger's Hall of Fame.

Nominations anyone?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Richard Simon

1- Ron Dross - the grandfather of the modern forgery business. He was forging BB Hall of Famers while he was still in grade school .
2- Dave Zimmerman - "virtual" nephew of Dross. Former NY Mets batboy.
3- Johnny Fang - A damn good forger. Probably the best ever. Signed all those To Charlie balls from the Black Sox (sold to Charlie Sheen, the scam was that the To Charlie was To Charlie Rigler an ump in the WS of 1919).Johnny Fang might not have been his real name.
4- The guy in Michigan - forgot his name.
5- The guy who bought a lot of unsigned wire photos from me about 15 years ago. Two months later a good and knowledgeable customer came over to my home with a whole bunch of my wire photos, mostly Babe Ruth. Only now they were signed. He bought them from the guy I sold the unsigned ones to.
6- The Cowboy. He was Bob Feller's traveling companion. Walked around at shows, wearing a big cowboy hat, peddling forgeries. Not quite certain if he was a forger or just selling the crap.
-
There should also be a section for enablers. The sellers and authenticators who enable forgers to thrive.
-
Now back to my drink .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM

Default fake fake fake

Looks like a great class for the inaugural ceremony! I knew you could start us off right lol

Everyone is also welcome to scan in some of your fakes that they got off on you.

Last edited by SmokyBurgess; 05-02-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Da.vid Schu.lman

top of the class had to be Operation Bullpen star Marino(Eric might have been first name).Once he got some MaryJane in his system,he could start dishing out the fake sigs.A Must read book Operation Bullpen.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Michael I.

Wasnt there like a Fragpanni that had hundreds of fake Ruth balls and bats on Ebay at one time? Maybe 15 years ago?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Wasnt there like a Fragpanni that had hundreds of fake Ruth balls and bats on Ebay at one time? Maybe 15 years ago?
Donald Frangiapani was the "forensic document examiner" certifying the crap...
Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
top of the class had to be Operation Bullpen star Marino(Eric might have been first name).Once he got some MaryJane in his system,he could start dishing out the fake sigs.A Must read book Operation Bullpen.
Greg Marino.

He was considered skilled at the time I suppose, but his work is obvious by today's standard. Certainly not as skilled as most that Richard mentioned.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Default Greg the Forger

that's the guy.the criminal star of Operation Bullpen.But the lessons were not really learned after that tumble of the ring of forgers.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Tony W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
6- The Cowboy. He was Bob Feller's traveling companion. Walked around at shows, wearing a big cowboy hat, peddling forgeries. Not quite certain if he was a forger or just selling the crap.
When I was a kid in the 90's I remember seeing a TV program called something like "Outside The Lines: The Autograph Game." It was all about forgeries in the sports memorabilia industry and featured them confronting The Cowboy after Joe DiMaggio was shown one of the Cowboy's DiMaggio balls. Almost 30 years later, I can still remember Joe D. saying, "That's my signature, but I didn't sign that ball." It was a pretty good program. Wish I could find a way to see it today. Hasn't ended up on youtube yet...

Tony
Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Richard Simon

How could I have forgotten Marino on my initial list???

And to add two more things, Ron Dross was the forger in the infamous B&W HOF plaque scam.
And my Clarence Darrow quote in my signature is very appropriate for Mr. Dross and Mr. Zimmerman.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-03-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I need to know who the guy in Michigan is if you have any leads, I know several people selling forged items out of my home state, but no-one that actually did the forging. t

there is an ESPN short coming out about Marino, very good, the guy was skilled.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Christopher Williams

I know the name of the Michigan forgery (the one who penned that Babe Ruth '700th Hr Ticket'), but it probably isn't his real name.