NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default Every major leaguer 1908-1945

Posted By: jay behrens 

At Scott's request, here is the information I have in my pursuit of one card from every major leaguer that appeared on a card from 1908-1945:

My database contains only cards relavent to what I want for the set. I am not interested in having multiplayer cards, such as the 1935 Goudey and 1941 Double Play cards, but there are a few players who only appeared in those sets, so I will eventually own them. I also omitted W sets from players that appeared on numerous sets since I do want strip cards unless it's their only appearance or they are decent looking, such as the w514s.

Also omitted from the list of cards were players like Rassmussen, Irving Lewis and other players that appeared in the t207 set and other sets who never actually played in the majors.

My criteria for the cards I want for this collection are that I don't care much about condition. Paper loss, back damage, writing, pieces of the card missing, etc are fine as long as the face does not have a noticable crease and the name on the card is legible. Priority is given to cards with bios on the back. I also want all the e90-3 Cubs, mainly becuase dumb allowed me to get 4 really cheap and figured I may as well get the rest. White Sox would be nice too, but I have no desire to punish myself trying to find Smith, Hahn and Gandil.

Some of the cards that fall into the catagory of "only one card" means only that there is one card that is acceptable for my collection. The player may have cards in the 35 Goudey or Double Play sets, or cards issued after 1945.

My database is almost complete. I only the Zeenuts from letter R-Z left to enter. Then I need to do some research on some other minor league issues from 1930s and 40s.

I would also like to thank the person that sent mea list of all the major leaguers who appear on Cuban baseball cards. I thought this would really throw a wrench into the works, but to my surprise, there are only 5 players that appear only Cuban cards.

Some info I do need is first names to with minor leaguers in the t206 set so I can figure out which ones appeared in the c46, t210 and t209 sets

Here's the data I have so far:

2150 different players. I assume that will be close to 2500 by the time I am done.

Currently, there are almost 700 players who only have card that meets my criteria, the vast majority of which truely only have one card. Though some players will be taken off this list becuase they are minor leguers in the t206 set and in others, these will be more than compensated for by the Zeenuts I have remaining to enter. I entered the e107 set just in case I deside to punish myself in the future. To my surprise, only 47 players make their lone card appearance in that set. I would have thought it was higher.

Much to my dismay, since I hate multiplayer cards, 19 players make their only appearance on Double Play cards. There is also one player in the 35 Goudey set and, surprisingly, 2 players in the t201 set.

Not counting Zeenuts, the 1933 Goudey set has the most players making their lone appearance, with 50. Other sets of interest and how many players dipicted made their only appearance:

t204 8 cards
t205 4 cards
t206 31 cards with minor league data still needed
t207 26 cards
Obak 49 cards, which is really surprising since
you would think they would also be in the
Zeenut sets
and for you caramel fans 3 e90-1, 3 e91 (I hate these cards) and 1 e96.

I am trying to build this collection on the cheap, so if you have a bunch of really low grade cards, I will be happy to give them a good home

Jay

Old 01-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Good luck on the those 26 T207ers, especially since I believe 3 of them are Ward Miller, Louis Lowdermilk and Irwin Lewis!

Old 01-18-2003, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Lowdermilk is the only one of the Big 3 that actually spent any time in majors and a number of other rarities in the set, such as Rassmussen, also never saw a day in the majors, so I am not interested in aquiring their cards.

The a few cards that are on my 'might never see/own" list are m101-5 Jim Thorpe and Ernie Nevers Zeenut. They are rarely seen, and it will be a long time before I enough coin to buy either of those cards in any condition.

Old 01-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

I know you don't like the multi-player cards, but I think that the Fatima team sets might be useful (and get you a cheaper Thorpe).
Also I think McMullen (the 8th man out) will be very hard ($$$$$).

Old 01-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I've already decided, that if there is a solo shot of the player, that is what I want. otherwise, I could knock out a nice chunk with Fatima cards.

Personally, I also have more a problem with the Fatima team cards than the 35 Goudey and Double Plays because it depicts the whole team and faces are not very clear. At least with the other sets, the player is clearly visible.

Jay

Old 01-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Are you pursuing cards of guys who were players before 1908, but who appear on cards after 1908 only as managers? John McGraw comes to mind.
Todd

Old 01-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Yes I am. The only crieteria is that they played major league baseball at some point in their career and appeared on a card between 1908-1945. Connie Mack another player that would fall into the catagory.

Jay

Old 01-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

You can always buy the Fatima NY Giants team card to get Thorpe...