NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2002, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Default What a Great Forum

Posted By: Lee Behrens

If you ever wanted proof the power of this forum, read the thread about the T206 Cobb mislabeled. It is long but it has our usual suspects (MW, Bruce, Dan Matty, and others), but it is the the responses from others (PSA rep, owner of the Cobb, friens that was on hand for his purchase) that make this forum great.

There been other threads in the past that have also received such reactions. If this forum isn't the heartbeat of the vintage card market, please tell me where it is. Everyone can form there own opinions with out being constantly bombarded by people advertising their own product or service, although some of you might think MW is the spokes person for SGC.

A great thanks to Elliott for making this happen.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

If I had known all those fancy types were reading, I would have shut up more often. Or at least tucked in my shirt.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I couldn't have said it better, Lee. Of course, after being a cop for more than a decade, I'm not quite used to being called a "usual suspect". Heh heh.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

... was an outstanding movie!

Old 11-26-2002, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

was overrated and predictable. But I seem to be in the minority with this opinion.

Kaiser Sosay

Old 11-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Overrated.

Old 11-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Sorry guys it was a great movie... One of my all time favorites.... but then I am a sucker for movies with Kevin Spacey. I think he is a great actor

Old 11-27-2002, 02:28 AM
Administrator

but you can't put a big name actor in the role of the surprise character unless you ahve some other equally big names to help cover the bluff. Pkus, his character was so inconspicuous and low key that it was obvious that he was Kaiser.

Now if you want to see aome truely great recent movies, check out Snatch, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty and Moulin Rogue.

Jay

Old 11-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

I didn't suspect Sosay HAD to be one of the characters we had seen, so finding out who it was was a big surprise to me. Now, as to Fight Club, I read the book before seeing the movie, so I knew what the twist was.

There are some recent movies I'd also suggest, but on a baseball theme, I recently saw HBO's documentary on Babe Ruth for the first time and while it had some of the same commentaters as Ken Burns Baseball, it did include some interesting additional things, including a copy of the home movie someone took of the "called shot" in the World Series against Chicago. The Ruth docu is available on DVD.

Old 11-28-2002, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Thought entire movie was excellent--the way it was put together. But, having seen it three times, I just don't see how Spacey could have won Best Supporting Actor. He has the most screen time, he is the voice-over narration, and he's IT.

On the other hand, I can't believe Hollywood would be so gracious as to award B.S.A. to the B.A. simply so as not to ruin the surprise!

So there has to be another explanation. The men thought of themselves as a team? Pretty weak.

American Beauty was also great, in fact greater, and so was the Shipping News. In case you think I like Spacey, you're right!

Old 11-28-2002, 01:05 PM
Administrator

that's where "the usual suspects" came from. The way it's used in "Casablanca," though, the chief of police is telling someone to "round up the usual suspects" for the murder (killing) of a Nazi, when the killer is the hero of the movie and a great friend of his.

So, though the movie starts with "rounding up the usual suspects" in a jail, who subsequently go on a mission together...I suppose that was Kaiser Sousay, too, huh. Yup, makes sense.

Old 11-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BOTN

If you have not seen Swimming with Sharks, then you must. Glengarry Glen Ross is also a classic.

Old 11-28-2002, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Spacey was also great in 'the Negotiator'...alongside Samuel L. Jackson.

Those two had some serious onscreen chemistry

Old 11-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Apacey on the old TV series Wiseguy was great. I knew he would be headed for greatness. Loved that whole story arc. And having Joan Severence for his sister didn't hurt any

Jay

Old 11-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Mel Prophet was the character Spacey played on Wiseguy. Couldn't think of it when I made the post.

Jay

Old 11-28-2002, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

Now that was a truly funny movie. Sick but funny.

Too bad they used my old boss as the model for Kevin's character..... it brought back bad, bad memories.

Scott

Old 11-28-2002, 06:25 PM
Administrator

I don't think it's my age (67), because I know other women as old as I who are still turned on by men, beautiful clothes and beautiful jewelry. But I'm not.

Except for Kevin Spacey. He turns me on!

Old 11-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

You mean that Eddie Plank doesnt make your heart flutter? <grinning>

Old 11-28-2002, 07:05 PM
Administrator

...and Kid Nichols. And pedro martinez. And a whole bunch of cards...

Old 11-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Administrator

...I have really enjoyed both Harry Potter movies. Great acting, upbeat, fun, entertaining...

Second only to the Lord of the Rings. I expect the second in the LotR series (Two Towers) to even exceed the first one. Great story...even thought they have to depart form the purist version a little (for Hollywood glitz) it is done tastefully. I've been a lifelong fan of Tolkien and it's been a treat to see it given the screen tribute it deserves.

Old 11-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Administrator

I'm with Dan ( he's one of the orignal three blind mice, along with me and Brian H.) Lord of the Rings was the best movie I have seen since Star Wars, can't wait for the Two Towers. That's one movie I am glad is so long because it is so good. The DVD release with an extra 30 minutes was great.

Old 11-28-2002, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

The movie did a good job dealing with a very dry book. Three volumes of dense prose with almost no female characters is hard to make interesting.

bruce

Old 11-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Administrator

...the extra footage was quite a treat. I had 17 friends over the night the extended DVD version was released. We all loved it. Really whet our whistles for The Two Towers. I really have to take my hat off to Jackson for how he has portrayed one of my favorite novels... The Tolkien family has to be really pleased. (And, probably like everyone associated with that movie, very rich...and getting richer.)

Funny, I never thought that the book/trilogy was dry at all. It was intriguing to me, even during repeat reads. I thought Tolkien was a terrific writer. I understand that more printings of the Lord of the Rings have been sold than any other epic novel in our history... (The Silmarillion? Now...that was a tough, dry read written by Tolkien that I never made past Chapter 4...)

Old 11-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Administrator

The Bible is the only book to outsell the "Rings". I even went out and bought the animated version of the "Rings". But the real life version is awesome!!!! I got my free ticket with the extended version!!! I wil definately be going as soon as I can to Two Towers.

Old 11-29-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Looking forward to "The Two Rowers." My sister re-read "Lord of the Rings" after she saw the movie--I didn't have to, I'd read it so many times (it came out when I was in my teens, I think) that I'd memorized parts of it. I quoted them to her and drove her nuts. "Is everything sad going to come untrue?"

Old 11-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Administrator

good lord, what books were you reading? The Silmarilian, now that was a tough read. But it does give a lot of great background info on Middle Earth and the everything that lead up to and including Sauron's creation of the rings.

Another great read that may people think is dry becuase of a lack of action is Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. The guy was truely amazing, being able to tie together all his book together with the last few books he wrote before he died.

Jay

Old 11-30-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Turns out I HAD seen it..but didn't remember anything except who the villian was. Now that I've seen it twice, there're still things I don't understand: the whole sequence with Spacy, the party=boy and the politician, for instance. Has Guy Pearce (the hero, sort of) been in anything since? I thought he was very good. Hate to say this, but Russel Crowe was the best of them all, or maybe Danny DiVito. Spacey was good, but not great...

Happy, gory Thanksgiving!