NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default eBay's New Managed Returns Process

Has any eBay seller opted into eBay's new managed returns process?

It appears to be another plus for the buyers.

Grab a beer and read this lengthy description.

Here is a summary of what it is:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-process.html#eligibility

Does this make you nervous? As a seller, it makes me wonder whether this has gone too far. Is it time to start selling on Net54?
There is a mention of a restocking fee. Has anyone considered setting up for a restocking fee?

Just wondering what you think of this?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Jim M.arinari

I will not opt-in until such time as that is no longer an option. Which will not be long, IMO.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Good lord that's a long read. I would probably have to read it several more times to truly understand all the BS in there, but I don't have the time or patience for that.

My quick take is this, if I opt out of this program the buyer can't return the item just because they changed their mind and they don't want it anymore. If I opt in they can. At least if I opt out they have to make up some reason why they want to return the item and I might have a sporting chance to defend myself and avoid having to give a refund when I did nothing wrong. So I will opt out of this program.

All this being said, they probably will require sellers to opt in eventually. Especially if they want to keep their Top Rated Seller status.

The moral of the story is, it sure would be great if Ebay had some competition so they couldn't continue to push around us sellers. I know it would take a huge budget to truly drive enough traffic to another site, but I can still dream, right?!?!?!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
The moral of the story is, it sure would be great if Ebay had some competition so they couldn't continue to push around us sellers. I know it would take a huge budget to truly drive enough traffic to another site, but I can still dream, right?!?!?!
Just sell it here! This b/s/t board could always use more action. 2k of sales for me in the past week here as I climb out of debt...

Last edited by rainier2004; 09-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Just sell it here! This b/s/t board could always use more action. 2k of sales for me in the past week here as I climb out of debt...
99% of what I sell is modern. On the rare occasion that I do have vintage cards for sale I always offer them up on the B/S/T here first.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I've opted in already. I think overall it should be good and easier for buyers. This is similar to Amazon where you are able to print a return label very easily, and I think that ebay is trying to become more like Amazon, where buyers think of it as just one big store with the largest inventory in the world. I think the point here is to just try to make sure that your buyers don't return anything, so make your scans as large as possible, include back scans, and try to describe as best as possible anything that might be missed in scans such as surface wrinkles or light creases. Obviously for big sellers, this might be really tough because they just have too many items. For returns, I always have it that the buyer pays for return shipments, so that often discourages returns somewhat where buyers do feel some responsibility if they don't view the scans close enough. They still lose something from their pocketbook. However, if it is my fault that they are doing the return such as the item was damaged in transit or I missed a flaw in the description, I will pay for the return shipping. I don't refund this until after I receive the item since I don't want the buyer to use really expensive shipping back if they know they don't have to pay for it.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:01 AM
octavio ranzola

EBay is a joke net 54 rules
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 AM
$teve O.

+1

Last edited by 39special; 09-06-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What crappy seller protection--a scam waiting to happen. Every buyer will claim the item isn't as described so he can avoid the restocking fee and make the seller pay for return shipping with the inflated Ebay return shipping charges. Looks to me like Ebay will profit on the return shipping, which is higher than the rates you can get direct from the post office. If Ebay makes it mandatory I will have to rethink my use of their site for selling. It will be yet another reason to consign items to auctioneers and avoid the hassles.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-06-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Dave

Waiting for the first:

"Item not as described"

translated as:

"Hello, I am returning your item to you, had no luck selling it at last weekends show."

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Mark Fox

As a seller, being on the hook for return shipping at the buyers whim is pretty ridiculous. If you move any significant volume of merchandise on Ebay this could have quite an adverse effect on your profits and your bottom line.

The inherent problem with Ebay, is that Ebay is simply a forum for a buyer and a seller to consummate a sale. Ebay never touches or handles the merchandise, like an auction house does, so they’re really stuck in a tough situation when trying to resolve issues such as “Item not as described”. They have to place more power either with the buyer or the seller since there is no 3rd party mediator for such situations and it seems they have, and will continue to place that power in the hands of the buyer.

Making the seller pay for return shipping for a fraudulent “Not as described” return is bad, but making a buyer pay for shipping for a actual “Not as described” item is just as bad…and how can Ebay make that distinction?

No matter what policies they institute someone will always find a way to take advantage of the situation and exploit it.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

True, Mark, but in this case it will be 100% the unscrupulous buyer who takes advantage. I don't appreciate being stuck with return costs [coincidentally I am in the process of sending back an item that was improperly packed and consequently damaged in the mail, and it will cost me several dollars to send it back], but if Ebay refunds my initial payment I am at least close to whole. I am just afraid that sellers will be screwed royally by the policy whenever someone can't flip a card or has buyer's remorse.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Mark Fox

You're completely right Adam and I agree, as I mentioned, sellers who move a lot of volume on Ebay could be adversely effected to extremely damaging results now.

And if you turn the tables and push the cost and burden of return shipping to the buyer, I would think that would discourage a lot of buyers from doing just what you suggest they do which is buy a card, they realize they can't turn it for a quick buck, but now if they want to return the item under a false "Item not as described" claim, they have to eat the return postage. If they try unsuccessfully on say 5 items, all of a sudden they're eating a minimum of $25 in return postage. That could discourage some from the practice.

And let's be honest, how many times as a buyer have you received something worthy of an honest "Item not as described" claim? I think generally they are few and far between, especially if you stay away from suspect sellers. In my 14 years of Ebay I've come across such a situation just twice as a buyer. If you look at it from that perspective it would make even more sense to push the cost of return postage to the buyer.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

The few times I've had a problem with an item I bought on Ebay it's been one of the bigger dealers. I've had few problems since 98. One item "lost in the mail" one lot only partly shipped, and one card sold as EX+ massively overgraded even without the trimming. All from large respected dealers. And lousy communication from two of the three. I've also had maybe 5-6 items sent with miserable packing but only a couple damaged.

I've also had great experiences buying from sellers who might be seen as "suspect".

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
You're completely right Adam and I agree, as I mentioned, sellers who move a lot of volume on Ebay could be adversely effected to extremely damaging results now.

And if you turn the tables and push the cost and burden of return shipping to the buyer, I would think that would discourage a lot of buyers from doing just what you suggest they do which is buy a card, they realize they can't turn it for a quick buck, but now if they want to return the item under a false "Item not as described" claim, they have to eat the return postage. If they try unsuccessfully on say 5 items, all of a sudden they're eating a minimum of $25 in return postage. That could discourage some from the practice.

And let's be honest, how many times as a buyer have you received something worthy of an honest "Item not as described" claim? I think generally they are few and far between, especially if you stay away from suspect sellers. In my 14 years of Ebay I've come across such a situation just twice as a buyer. If you look at it from that perspective it would make even more sense to push the cost of return postage to the buyer.