NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Default Why more Reprints?

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

Can somebody tell me why Ebay lets people like this Feldman put a whole bunch of reprint lots in the pre 1930's? This really gets anoying when searching. It is really a pain in the butt to go looking at 450 T206 card up on auction just to find a few real ones. There has to be a way they can stop this. Rob

Old 01-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

all you can do is report it to eBay and hope they actually care, or do like I do and keep bombarding them with complaints about all the auctions and hope they eventually tired of seeing the complaints from you and give the seller a warning. As long as the guy is not a Powerseller, you have a shot at him getting a warning for posting to the wrong group.

My pet peeve right now is the guy that is listing in his description "Allen & Ginter album page #". What he is actually selling is a t-shirt with a picture of the page. No mention of a t-shirt in the title.

Jay

Old 01-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff M.

I think the reason that these people keep listing this stuff in the pre 1930 catagory is that ebay has yet to have a JUNK or GARBAGE catagory.They could also include all of the cut up books in this catagory,better yet they could call it the toilet paper catagory.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

People seem to be bidding fairly high on these reprints, maybe because of their supposed 'real look'. Some of those ruths and cobbs went as high as $50 about a month ago if I remember correctly.

I wonder how many of these will re-appear on ebay, with no mention of reprint. hmmm.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Anybody have a link at ebay to file a complant with? He has 50 cards and I have a feeling a lot of people will get beat when these cards show back up on auction without the sellers stating they are reprints. Do you guys think he is making these cards? I was under the impression that reprints have to state that they are reprints? I know people alter the reprints but do they not have to have it stated when they are printed? Rob

Old 01-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Here's the link to report probelms with auctions. And they sure don't make this easy to find either.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html

Jay

Old 01-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Thank you Jay. Does this piss you guys off to or is it just me? Rob

Old 01-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Read this description. Like it means anything what this gut says. Rob http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2702274586&category=31719

Old 01-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I agree that it belongs in a reprint section, not a vintage section, but you'd have to be a complete idiot not to understand from the listing that it is a reprint of the card, so I don't have a problem with the listing.

Raises an interesting issue, though. Say I want to sell one of the Burt Sugar books with the classic cards reprinted in it. I know that my most likely buyer is someone who likes the old cards but can't afford them. Odds are that person cruises the vintage sections. Can I list that item in the vintage section without risking the wrath of the board? How about one of the Frisch reprint sets of T3 cards? Would that be a legit listing? How about an N28 or N162 card of a non-baseball player. I see these listings all the time and I find them quite interesting and helpful since I can't search every nook and cranny of ebay every day. Do we crack down on these people too?

It seems to me that part of the problem is that ebay isn't as knowledgeable or responsive to the real world needs of collectors as it should be. I and my cronies regularly email ebay to ask for a boxing card section, to no avail, despite the presence of several thousand boxing cards in the "other" cards and boxing memorabilia sections. They have Australian FB, for crissakes, but not boxing? Also, why don't we have a baseball postcard section? Why are sports postcards relegated to the general postcards section?

Old 01-22-2003, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

so that collectors can find the items more easily, but flooding a category like Libertyforall and Feldman and AJSportscards to, is ridiculous and takes away from the useability of the category. David Rudd lists his books on old photos in the "old photos" category, which technically is incorrect, but it's exactly where it needs to be in order for the appropriate buyers to find it, or to request his services.

I think two new categories for the AAA's, Feldmans and AJSportscards would do the trick: "vintage reprints" and "pictures cut out of publications". What these bozos do with these categories would then be their business (e.g: adding "graded" vs "non-graded", "reprints" vs "forgeries", etc.)

Old 01-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I just think it is a real pity that these cards that Feldman is selling will probably end up back up ebay one day but not as reprints. Did you guys look at the CJ's? They look to real. Someone down the road could either send these to PSA for grading and they well get by them that's for sure or just put them back up the way they are with no mention of it being a reprint. Warshawlaw you said you'd have to be a complete idiot not to know these are reprints? What happens when these cards show up again and someone who is not that knowable about CJ's does not know they are reprints and buys them. That is not right. Yes, this auction states that they are reprints, my problem is not the auction it is the cards. If they were made to sell as reprints then they should state on the card reprint. These cards were made to deceive people. Rob

Old 01-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Administrator

but Adam is right - you WOULD have to be an idiot to buy one of these thinking it is real. The real CJ's use the natural color of the paper rather than printing white, so there is a blend that is very easy to spot. If you check his t206's, most really are old reprints, not forgeries - type-set is terrible in some cases, colors are way way off, etc...but I will give him a little more credit for the '33 Ruths and Gehrigs he was selling previously.

Old 01-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott, I know the difference and you know the difference and everybody here knows the difference but there are people out there that do not. Look last week when a Cobb Batoff went to about 350.00 that guy or girl whoever it was did not know the difference I guess you can say he or she was an idiot. Some people just really don't know how to tell a fake or reprint from the real thing. I know the transaction was forgotten by both parties but if we on the board did not let the buyer know they would have taken a beating. This kind of thing should never happen. All I am saying the less of that crap the better. Regards Robert {Bigb13}

Old 01-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Administrator

As you know, I don't think these reprints/forgeries should be on ebay and I am not for people getting screwed as punishment for lack of brain capacity. But I still agree with Adam's assessment of people who bid on cards that they don't know enough about to identify as fakes.

Let me explain a different way: If you know so little about a particular card issue as to think from looking at Feldman's scans that they are real, and then to actually bid seriously on them, then you haven't done your homework.

Vintage card homework is very easy to do - you can look at the seller's ebay history, ask for guarantees, go look at images in books or compare to other images on ebay or the web, or you can ask questions in a forum like this one. Another good investment of your time is to spend months doing all of these things prior to ever buying high-$ cards, and to start off by buying cheaper lower-grade commons and examining them closely under a 10x prior to jumping in to big purchases. I'm sure that you already know all of this, but I'm simply repeating it for others.

And do I have any sympathy for the guy who bought the fake t206 Cobb bat off? No...well, just a little.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Administrator

that you'd have to be a complete idiot not to know that these items were reprints based on this listing. The listing clearly ID's the items as reprints. If it came out wrong, sorry. I am in good company; as The Great Communicator once said "what would this great country of ours be without this great land of ours."

Old 01-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Administrator

I see that I did in fact qualify my assessment of who were the idiots out there by referencing the listing. So there!!! (just joking).

People who read a listing stating that an item is a reprint and still buy it are buying a reprint; if they think otherwise, they ARE idiots or they are greedily gambling on the reprint assessment being incorrect. Hey, I did that once myself (bought a lot of exhibit baseball cards listed as reprints for under a buck a card, figuring that if they were reprints, I'd have nice display and autograph platforms and if they were real, I get over. They were reprints, but very nice for display). If they decide to break the law and try to resell an item purchasedd as reprint as an original, that is their decision. It has nothing to do with the reprint seller's right to sell his accurately described goods.

I do agree with Scott that if you are going to plunge into big ticket vintage cards you had better do major homework first AND (I would add) deal with a reputable professional dealer for your first few cards AND (I would add) consider (gasp!) a "reputable" (I know, I know) grading service as a third party opinion. If this is too much trouble to safeguard four figure purchases, then you are bound to lose eventually. Ignorance will kill you in any collectible field.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

...I'd email the people bidding and point them towards Larry Fritsch's site where they could buy these reprints for a lot cheaper, with no reason to get into a bidding war with anyone, but alas, I have neither the time or energy...

Old 01-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Administrator

The concern of Robert and others (myself included) is that Feldman is selling these items, clearly described as "replicas", hoping that people will buy them to re-sell as "real". It should be obvious what this little rat of a man is up to.

My point in my reply to Robert is that anyone who buys these from the next seller (assuming they are re-sold in attempt to dupe the end buyer), and thinks they are real, hasn't done his homework and my sympathy for his/her loss will be minimal. Personally, I would like copies of the '33 Ruths he was selling, just because I am curious how real they look. Undoubtedly some of them will show up on ebay being sold by 0-feedback sellers (...not that there's anything wrong with that) or antique dealers who "...found in old pair of Grampa's longjohns...don't know nuthin 'bout ball-cards, so sold 'as-is'...".

Old 01-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott I don't know about everyone else but I do as much homework as I can. I think you can never know enough about cards. And I only buy from dealers like yourself, James V. and others who I can trust and have a good reputation. I was just worrying about other people. Robert PS Scott put some stuff up.