NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Posted By: Mike Williams 

is this something you're allowed to do (I'm assuming proper permission of some type is needed)?

Old 01-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Posted By: leon

What are you referring to?.....

Old 01-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

the use of the same Gehrig image as issued by Goudey in 1933. For example, if I wanted to print widgets using exact images of classic baseball cards/images, would I need permission...would royalties come into play etc.? Just curious what the implications are from a legal perspective. For the record, I'm not trying to cause issues for this seller, just thinking out loud...

Old 01-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Posted By: petecld

(Based on my understanding of copyright laws/use)

Goudey would have paid for the use of the photo image to be used for their cards. The Gehrig family can't claim any royalties to the image of the card.

If the copyright that Goudey had FOR THEIR CARDS has run out then you can legally reproduce the image of the card.

There may be laws about reproducing/distributing the image in a manner that would cause confusion between the reproduction and the original.

I will assume laws vary from state to state. I'm sure one of the lawyers on the board will know more.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Posted By: jay behrens

I think Curtis Management Group represents the families almost all deceased athletes such as Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson, etc and are quite agressive about protecting those rights. Not sure how it works if it is an image of a card you are talking about, but if it's a photo, they don't they don't play nice when those are involved.

Jay

Old 01-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Posted By: Hankron

Mike, the significant issue is how the Goudey is going to be reprinted. If someone is going to reprint a Goudey in a book on cards, newspaper article or on a website, there's no problem. That's fair use. If someone was going to reprint the Goudey on T-shirts and umbrellas and sell them outside Yankee Stadium there's a reasonable chance that George Steinbrenner's lawyers, and and less likely Gehrig estate lawyers, will be talking to you. This would have nothing to do with the Goudey, but all to do with reprinting Gehrig and the Yankees symbol on commercial products without permission. When Topps or Fleer make a card with Gehrig's or Ruth's image on it, they have to, and do, get permission from the estate or other representing company. They would certainly loose their contract with MLB if they didn't.

This law is not always enforced with the little guys, but that's not a matter of legality but practical enforcement.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

My above posts suggests why I think it's ILEGAL to make and sell unauthorized reprints of trading cards that depict most famous 20th century babeball players, like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Joe Jackson. This is an angle that should be persued, if people want unauthorized cards to be removed from eBay. If there was the correct pressure, I beleive that eBay might prove sensitive to the selling of illegal goods on their website.

Old 01-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Old 01-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Cool idea....but

Realize that these copyrights do not work backwards to infinity (Though Disney wishes they would). You could make and sell T-shirts, umbrellas and lunchboxes with the likness of King Kelly, Jim Creighton and Hoss Radbourne to your heart's content. Heck, I might even by a Hoss Radbourne lunchbox from you. This also means that anyone can reprint Old Judges and Allen & Ginter's-- though I strongly advise against it.