NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Set still full of surprises to this collector

Posted By: John

Hello guys, hope all of you are doing well. Thought I would share a neat thing I recently found, if you already knew this sorry for the trip down memory lane. But I would dare say this is a new one as I have run this by quite a few t206 collectors and it was all new to them so thought I would share.

I’m always upgrading my set and one card always bugged me in my collection it was my Marquard port card. It was one of a few I just never got around to upgrading when cards did come up they went way high for my tastes or they just looked dirty or out of focus, which I find a lot with this card at least in my experience. So it got me looking one night and I happened to zoom in on a scan of my marquard I was looking to upgrade, and I noticed something neat in between the “N” and the “Y” on his chest the “N” had bled and the dot separated the two letters formed a reverse style comma.

I chalked this up to neat nothing more than a printers freak which I dabble at getting when I can etc. I also have been watching eBay for a year or so now seeing if any more with this mistake have popped up and have come up with none to date.

So I was shocked when pouring over eBay recently looking for upgrades to find another card of Marquard with the exact same flaw not one speck different.

So I got my upgrade as I think the card looks great, but also confirmed that this little flaw or freak happened more than once. So check your collections and see if any of your Marquards have this.

Is this a new variation etc. I’ll let you be the judge on that but none the less I thought it was neat.

And Dan McKee if your reading this looks like you have another one to add to your watch list….and I’ll hold off on those partial “G” cards…LOL

Cheers,

John

P.S. For Ted both cards are P350, if that helps...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

well, well, well...Mr. Wonka finally found a second one! that is great news, obviously the difference between only one existing and 2 exisitng is monumental...very important, i would say.

congrats!

call me when you can to catch-up.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

Interesting. Never noticed that either.

Thanks
Jantz

Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"So I got my upgrade as I think the card looks great, but also confirmed that this little flaw or freak happened more than once. So check your collections and see if any of your Marquards have this.

Is this a new variation etc. I’ll let you be the judge on that but none the less I thought it was neat. "

cool stuff John.

definitely not a new variation in my opinion.
just a printing imperfection.

most likely just some garbage on the printing plate that was wiped off at some point.

as far as 'happening more than once'. I would be much less likely to believe ANY flaw happened once rather than happened many times.
if it was on one press sheet, it is likely it was on a bunch.

Now - the number of copies that survived with a particular flaw.... well I guess that could lead us to some one of ones..... especially since the flawed ones should have been discarded (and I am sure most were).

Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi John,
I'm glad it's not April... otherwise I would assume you were pulling a good joke. Be well Brian

PS Your photoshop skills rule....

Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

John,

Interesting find.  Your new Maquard looks Fantastic!  The question now is, what are you gonna do with your orignal?

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"The question now is, what are you gonna do with your orignal?"

Hoard Them...

Old 07-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

John,

Neat find--thanks for sharing. Put me in the camp that says this is not deserving of separate classification because the "backward comma" in all liklihood is not the product of conscious design but rather a flaw in the printing process. It would be a tougher call if the "comma" were correctly oriented.

Scot