NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default I can't believe people are still buying this shat...

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...look at the bids on some of this seller's stuff!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1867947692

All AAA-graded rubbish. eBayers: READ THIS BULLETIN BOARD and LEARN what crap NOT to buy. AAA-holders contain pieces of paper cut out of magazines, newspapers, catalogues, tv guides, encyclopedias and occasionally the yellow pages. THEY ARE WORTHLESS. Save yourself some money.

-dan

Old 10-22-2002, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

..you can actually see there's something printed on the other side because of the "thin paper stock"...

Old 10-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

OK! OK!

Enough it's enough...

We already know about AAA and other crap.
If people want to buy this sh*t, it's their problem.

How many different threads about this issue do we have to read each day?

Old 10-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

my thoughts exactly

Jay

Old 10-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I think it's a good idea that this subject is discussed. I don't see anything wrong with Dan's post. There are new readers of this forum every week and some are not aware of AAA & NASA. It's too bad this forum can't have a "top ten" list of previous threads. Elliot????

Old 10-23-2002, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I wouldn't mind seeing it once a month or so, but do we need to know wabout everything that appears on eBay?

Jay

Old 10-23-2002, 01:53 AM
Administrator

...but, given the number of people still bidding-on and buying this stuff (based on "seller's other auctions") I figured people still aren't aware of the scam. And, maybe some of them might stumble upon this or other threads relatred to it.

Since these "items" fall into Vintage Card categories by their misleading postings in eBay, and since we are all hurt by this in every respect (soured newcomers who get ripped off, bidders throwing good money after bad, the whole collectible industy is marred by bad people with bad scruples like this, etc), i figured it was still wise to toot a horn about it now and then.

sorry if you think it's out of line, but you know what a few bad folks can do to the stereotype of everyone in an industry... the cockroaches will only scurry away when the lights get turned on.

Old 10-23-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I see Jay's point and your point. I think I will side with you on this one though. I looked at feedback for probably the most prolific, recent, buyer in vintage stuff on ebay yesterday. He has purchased a few PRO graded pieces of shat in the last week or two. I kindly emailed him to let him know that most likely the cards he paid big money for are trimmed. He is the Rockets Lover guy.....obviously new to ebay and not "in the know" about a lot of this stuff. In the event of helping others I will most usually side with helping people, with the possibility of being overtly redundant. The pain is less for us than the people we might save.....now carry on guys.....regards all

Old 10-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

There is a thread about "rockets lover" on the CU forum. Apparentely he's spent over 400K in the last few months on cards, and is buying EVERYTHING- pro, bgs, sgc, aaa, etc. at money-is-no-object prices. Might be a good time to start listing those extra cards!

Old 10-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I was advised 'by counsel' to be subtle if I were to proceed, and diplolatically I contacted the seller of the Wagner tobacco card and each of the bidders to advise them of the history of the card. This was a couple of days ago and, at least so far, the seller hasn't stopped the auction and none of the bidders have cancelled their bids.

Old 10-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

How do you access the CU Forum?

Old 10-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

There are a couple of different ones. Its virtually all post WW2, (mostly post Vietnam) but occassionally some good info. http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=11

Old 10-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Administrator

...and, again, I do apologize for the redundancy if it does bug anyone. I think you all know what my intentions are by now, and you know I don't post things to annoy or simply to piss people off.

I have come close to being ripped-off myself, and when you unknowingly buy Shat from someone and someone warns you a bit too late, that feeling thuds like a rock in your belly. Even if it's only for a couple hundred bucks, nobody likes the feeling of getting ripped off.

I don't want ONE SINGLE NOVICE to have their FIRST EXPERIENCE with Roy Huff or other pirates out there like him. And, if my posting helps that, that's my goal. Nobody wants cards sellers to all inherit the "rip-off car dealer" stereotype that car dealers, insurances salespeople, and some other professions have. Right? And, if we do what we can to help and educate others, i think it's worth a posting here and there to bring out the cockroaches.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runcott

Maybe the guy just has a lot of money and just recently got interested in cards. I read where Nicolas Cage just sold his comic book collection for a bundle, including his Action #1 - perhaps someone enlightened him and he switched to vintage cards.

Old 10-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Administrator

...would go by the name Rockets Lover though, Scott. He was almost killed by a rocket in The Rock, and had to inject himself in the heart to live. I would think he'd be more likely as Rocket Hater, or something like that. Good chase scene in that movie, though. Heh heh... I cracked up to see Connery flying around in that Hummer...

Old 10-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I am ready to compete:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1573524974&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1573525079&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1573525135&rd=1

Old 10-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Well done...I think these auctions should be emailed to every seller who has placed auctions and bidders who have bid on these type of worthless paper scraps--any volunteers with some time on their hands? The only thing I would have changed was to make the opening bid two cents...as in Scott putting in his two cents about this whole absurdity.

Brian

Old 10-24-2002, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Can't be done, for Libertyforall at least, as the auctions are private.

Agree that it was a good job by Scott. However, don't be surprised if a newbie places a sincere $200 on the McGraw Dog 'later generation paper cutout near-card.'

Considering that no one retracted a bid on the Wagner card, even after I sent each a link to the Post-Gazette article, I hold little hope for this world.

Old 10-25-2002, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

the buyer can continue to pretend he owns something rare. He probably also pretends his wife is a supermodel when the lights are out.

What I wonder about is those goofuses with eight or ten AAA-graded HOF'er paper scraps (a "collection"). I can just see their living-room with Honus, Ty, the Babe and Shoeless Joe in their plastic tombs, sitting on little stands on the fireplace mantel. Until one day they invite a card collector to one of their parties to show off the collection, he gets a little tipsie, and tosses them in the fire. (my fantasy)