NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2002, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Default New Mastro auction preview

Posted By: brian parker

Not many baseball lots in the preview, but this Jar O' Hair may bring some spirited bidding, perhaps even from the by now chrome-domed King himself, wherever he is hiding.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Preview%20Lot%20Information&DisplayIndex=132

I think I will wait until his former manucurist desperately needs some cash.

Brian

Old 10-18-2002, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Reminds me of a story I recently heard about Bing Crosby, who died on the exact same day as Elvis. Over the years Crosby had donated his personal items to his alma mater of Gonzaga University (Washinton State). Years after his death, two Gonzaga folks were going through the unopened boxes and discovered what they thought were dead hampsters. Turned out to be Bing's tupees.

Old 10-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

that we have a brisk trade in celebrity body parts?

Old 10-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

I think scott gaynor was selling some celebrity hair samples a week ago or so, too.

maybe that will be the solution for HOF collectors for those players who never had a contemporary card: hair! it was mass-produced...though i'd bet it doesn't "feel" like a card...

Old 10-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

One of the items was a letter with a lock of his hair - it was pretty eerie. I wonder what the Indians did with his "lock" of hair.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Keeping hair is more than a modern collecting practice. In the old days it was not uncommon for, for example, a man going off to war to carry his wife's or daughter's locket of hair entombed in a small painted portrait or photograph (Daguerreotype or ambrotype) of the woman/girl. Similarly, the wife or daughter would keep a locket of the man's hair in similar manner. Modern collectors of Daguearreotypes and ambrotypes will occasionally find photographs with the hair still inside.

Old 10-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Actually, the hair ends today 10/17. I would not collect hair, but I have had them sell in the past.

Weather they "feel" like cards or not, is open for debate.

I know that two stands of Einstein's hair sold for $10,000.

Scott

Old 10-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

That Einstein purchase was very "intelligent"

Old 10-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Hmmm!

Hair...
DNA...
Clone...

Glad to see the memorabilia market is on the right track...

Old 10-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I hope everyone knows that Indians DID NOT scalp people. This was introduced by the White Man. What the Indians did was Count Coupe(sp), which was to cut off the braided hair at the back of the head.

Jay

Old 10-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I have zero money to spend and there are 2 lots I would love to get my hands on for my player set. The with the w711 and other 1940s team set cards and the lot with T209s, Old Mills and Obaks.

If anyone wins either of these lots, Iw ould be interested purchasing a few cards, especially the w711s since they are not with a box or a complete set.

Jay

Old 10-18-2002, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

They started the practice in the French and Indian Wars, paying the Indians for settlers and English soldiers killed. The Indians had to prove the number that were killed so they turned in scalps. The English quickly adopted the practice so both sides were just as guilty, with the Indians being the "scalpers" and soldiers, colonists, settlers, traders, and other Indians being the "scalpees."

Old 10-30-2002, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

The suspense is over...it will only cost you $10,000 plus the $1500 hammer fee (if you luck out and there are no other bids) to get that Elvis hair transplant you have always desired.

Brian

Old 10-30-2002, 01:26 AM
Administrator

I don't know if the figure is correct, and I'm sure there are MastroNet folks who read this board and can correct, but I was told today from a knowledgeable person that the jar of hair originally sold $10,000.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I think there may be a business venture involving the Elvis Presley hair. There is alot of hair in that jar. How much do you think individual strands of that hair would go for if they are marketed properly? Does anyone with marketing experience want to partner on this?

Old 10-30-2002, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

This item was part of a Mastronet story on the news here in Chicago last night. It is a pretty big chunk of hair and according to the news story it is expecting to hit the $1 million mark.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Any guess as to what that works out to per strand? For the perfect heads on this board (G-d only made a certain number of perfect heads and he put hair on the rest of them) we could offer a discount for volume purchases.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

one of her Pubic hairs sold for $3000.