NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Posted By: jay behrens 

since Wagner and the P&S Red Stockings basically got in based on thier significance to the hobby, why don't we just usher in all the key cards right now so that the vote can focus more on the truly good looking cards rather than signifacnt cards.

I woudl say the automatic inductions would be the t206 Plank and Magiee, e90-1 Mitchell and 1933 Lajoie. The t207s of Lowdermilk, Lewis and Miller are also possible candidates.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Posted By: John(z28jd)

I think we should put too many cards in too fast so it doesnt get watered down like the real hall of fame....eh,nevermind we can put in as many cards as you want but the more important ones should be recognized as that......maybe its time we had another vote,let me get the list together again,or find the original thread and repost it minus the cards that won

This by the way,is just a ploy by Jay to get the e90,e92 rebel oakes card in sooner

Old 10-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Posted By: Jay Miller

Rather than having this resemble the Keystone Cops, why don't we set up committees to recommend appropriate cards from the different categories. When these committees do their work, then we can have a vote. Just a thought.

Old 10-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...Let's set up a committee to appoint those committees. j/k

Old 10-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Damn, saw right through me :-p

I still think Plank, Magie, Lajoie and Mitchell should get passes in because of thier importance. That's only 4 cards.

As big a 207 fan as I am, they just don't carry the clought these other cards do and I would pass on putting them in under the 'hobby signifigance' catagory.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Posted By: leon

Not to toot my own horn but the T207 Red Cross Weaver is a pretty cool card.... as far as the HOF I think it should be in categories too.....ie tobacco, caramel, exhibit, baking, etc......just a thought....now about those committee's to elect committee's regards

Old 10-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

I think right now, the best thing to do is list the cards that have already been nominated before and then take more nominations after that, so that we don't get repeats.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Jay===I disagree. I don't think there should be any passes. Those four cards are only important to people who collect them. I only collect 19th century material and to me they are just like any other piece of cardboard, albeit a more expensive one. I'm sure I am not alone in this view.
I would suggest the following list of 19th century cards as a starting point for the Board's consideration:

1-Four Base Hits-Kelly
2-Hancock Clothing-Tomney
3-Just So-Young
4-Kalamazoo Bats-Ewing
5-Kalamazoo Bats-Corcoran (Just for John)
6-Old Judge-Anson in Uniform

Old 10-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Even thought you and others may not collect certain cards, there are a few cards that everyone knows about, no matter what you collect, The Big 3 and 33 Goudey Lajoie are easily the most recognzable cards in the hobby. It could be argued that the e90 Mitchell isn't nearly as well known adn you wouldn't have a hard time convincing me since I doubt there are many collectors of madern cards that could tell what the holy grail of e-cards is, but they can tell you all about the Big 3 or the Lajoie. The same can't be said for any 19th century cards, including the P&S card.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I'm afraid that you guys are going to get so political about this that you create a web page that's about some extremely stilted process that you've devised, some pompous phrasing, and a few scans of cards that are either vastly expensive or incredibly rare (and often ugly).

You need to agree on what kinds of cards you are trying to list, and select cards that you agree should be on the list, according to those criteria.

The HOF model has problems to start. The HOF is for "honoring" people. I can understand honoring a person, but honoring a card seems like a weird thing to do.

I am concerned that someone with a decent collection, some writing skills, and a scanner, could create their own list of interesting cards, which will be much better than a list chosen over a period of years by a committee.

bruce

Old 10-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

My idea of what this site should represent are those cards that people seldom see, but are truly pieces of art in their own right, or just plain interesting or funny such as the e92 Oakes or Fatty Arbuckle's Zeenut card.

Jay

Old 10-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Default Card HOF thought

I think Bruce makes a good point. We should really decide what we want the site to be. I viewed it as a virtual museum of the finest cards in the hobby. Maybe rather than vote in cards we could have Board members submit scans of their favorite cards. That way it would be our museum. I bet we would get most of the hobby gems anyway.