NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Another reason I collect Pre-WWII

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09154/974921-100.stm

I no longer attend Pirate home games. The effort of the front office doesn't exist. I think my true psychological reason for my collecting before WWII is to, at some level get as far away psychologically from this mental monstrosity of an ownership!

I know what you're thinking. Don't hold back, Brian. Tell us what you really think.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Well, I still attend Pirate home games. But I bet I wouldn't be collecting as much Max Carey, Tommy Leach, Reb Russell, and Paul Waner stuff if the Bucs would stop taking these backward steps. What is worse, my little boy (8) was a Jason Bay fan until last July, when he switched to Nate McLouth. How do I explain this to him?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Todd Schultz

Default wow

this makes little sense. They just signed him for three years this Spring. I could maybe even understand a sign and trade, but usually there's a bunch of shopping before that trade is made, and this was pretty much quick and under the radar, no?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Erich W

Default Bucs

That's why I love living in Boston
Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Frank Wakefield

Brian, sorry for your pain.

Mark, I wish you well with that... I'd think you son has to stay loyal to the Bucs, and then watch Atlanta box scores, you can't fault the player for going. Afterall, it isn't A-Rod's fault that Texas offered him that contract that the Yankees bought.

Guys, realistically, you can join me as someone who is not a fan of baseball. Instead, you're a fan of 19th and 20th century baseball. This 21st century stuff is a mess...

Frank W.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I agree. I collect pre-WWII cards because I like the cards, but also because none of the players will do something in the future to disappoint us. None of them will be traded to a team we hate, and none of them will do anything to soil their reputations. Also, collecting pre-WWII cards takes us back to a time when players played the game because they loved it, not because they could make millions of dollars doing so.

There really seems to have been a connection between players and fans back then, unlike today when the players don't seem to know or even care about those of us who call ourselves fans.

Steve

Edited because I can't spell.

Last edited by Steve D; 06-03-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Tim

I think this is an issue about MLB more than it is the players in question. McLouth didn't make the deal, the Pirates did. He didn't show any less loyalty to the Pirates than great players of the pre war era that were traded from their respective teams.

Sadly the Pirates and other small market teams have become nothing more than farm systems to the teams that are willing to spend the money or in this case make the trade.

As a Brave fan I'm not complaining about getting a great young outfielder. The Braves tried to fill this spot in the off season and were unable to. I'm not thrilled with giving up three young prospects but if they're going to compete with the Mets and Philly's they needed to do something.

If you have an issue with this trade it should be with the Pirates lack of committing to the present. Otherwise you should see it as a look to the future. Though they have a poor track record of that.

I personally don't see this particular deal as a slight on modern baseball, free agency would be a much better argument.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
M@rk Lu7z

My son remains a Jason Bay fan, and with the omnipresence of the Bosox on tv, it works out ok. But there is no substitute for having a first rate player playing for your favorite team. It is sad to see the Pirates having to trade good players to acquire a number of good prospects. But that is baseball. It is done not because the Buccos are "small market" but because they are a bad team with little talent in the system. This is due to many years of really poor management, not to the team's location or fan base. As the original post noted, the sad state of a ball club can send devoted fans back to the past to revel in ancient glory. I wish I could put my heart into the contemporary club like modern Red Sox and Braves fans can, but I can't. On the other hand, when I look back to my first 13 years following the team (67 thru 79) I consider myself very lucky.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 AM
qu@n nguy3n

it was not that bad a trade at all, mcclouth is overrated and he's blocking the pirate's #1 prospect. give mcclutchen a chance, i think the pirates front office is starting to turnaround the atrocious decisions the previous regime made.

edited to add: for one jason bay you got 3 serviceable guys imo (i think it's 3)...laroche, moss, and hansen(?). laroche was always a favorite of mine when he was with the dodgers and after the 0'fer start he's starting to feel comfortable and maybe living up to that big potential...800+ops from a 3rd baseman ain't bad at all, and you got alvarez in the wing.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 06-04-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM
marty

The Pirates ownership can't be all that bad I mean, they did get rid of those train engineer pinstripe hats from the late 70s and who can forget those yellow pants.

I certainly miss the Bucs of the 60s/70s and agree that this team is nothing more than a farm system but you can blame mlb including the owners, union and commissioner for the current status of the Bucs and other small market farm teams. All you can hope for is some single sesaon success because once the young players gel, off they go to bigger and better markets!

Last edited by martyogelvie; 06-04-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolterse View Post
That's why I love living in Boston
Loyalty can hurt too. I think we're way past due on a ride out to Logan with Lugo.

I do miss the days players stayed put throughout their careers. In all the major sports. I still well-up, When I think about a crippled Orr sent west to fill seats in chitown. Unlike the Babe, at the twilight, shuffling off to Boston. A sentimental Ruth was just returning to his roots.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 AM

from my earliest memories as a baseball fan living in chicago, i always loved when the pirates came into wrigley to play the cubs. my memories of the 60s/70s teams of clemente & stargell and thru the early 90s with bonds. what a great legacy. now i love when they come to chicago for a different reason....they STINK and both chicago teams beat on them. sad for the pirate fans.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Baseball is going to the Dogs

I don't watch much baseball anymore because of what is going on. D.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 06-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Doug C.

Even though they are different sports at least you don't have to deal with watching the Bengals.