NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default Taking A Gamble On A Cobb

Posted By: Jason Silvey

Either someone just got a heck of deal or they're getting taken for a ride. An SGC 50 Cobb Red just ended at $599 from a seller with 0 feedback. Do you think it's worth the risk? Anybody recognize the scan?
http://tinyurl.com/3hqb2l

Jason

Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

"I AM PAYPAL APPROVED BUT MY ACCOUNT IS LIMITED DUE TO ITS NEWNESS. FOR THIS INCONVEVIENCE I AM GIVING A 10% DISCOUNT ON ALL FINAL SALES PAID BY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER TO MY SECURE BUSINESS ACCOUNT."

interesting...

Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

ZERO feedback, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

LOL!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

There are a few familiar names among the winners of his completed auctions.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

New or old user, Paypal doesn't limit how much can someone can send to your account. That's how PayPal makes their money-- fees off of money sent to your account.

Either the guy can accept the payment via PayPal or he can't-- there's no half pregnant.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I would be concerned with any 0 feedback seller that takes the time to put fluttering flags in their listing. Right up there with "got my cards from grandpa."

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

When I see scans for past items that don't look at all like scans in the current item, I run away. Look at the Bobby Jones Sports Kings versus the Cobb. Completely different.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Yikes. He's done $7000 in sales on 22 items over the past 3 days with zero feedback.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (sarcasm).....who wouldn't take a trimmed card back from me after about 3 weeks. I never looked at it close until then and saw it to be trimmed. We argued a bit. That buyer said he would buy the card back from me at a fraction of what he sold it for. I sold it back to him as I didn't want to fool with it, and if I recall it was about 70% of what I paid and I didn't figure I would get that much for it on the open market. It was a Coupon T213-1 Huggins portrait and really nice otherwise.......... Needless to say he's not a Net54 VBCF board member....regards

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

I just hope the buyer of this auction doesn't get burned. I didn't bid on this auction because of all the warning signs mentioned above, but I have to admitt I was tempted.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

The poor soul proudly displays your country's beautiful colors and you guys couldn't even bid it up to a measly grand?.. How unpatriotic.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

He displayed the flag twice which works like a double negative. It think it means Finish.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Im not saying this guy isnt pulling a scam, but paypal does limit the amount of money you are allowed to receive if you have a personal rather than business/premier account. I believe the limit is $500 per month. I know because I keep a personal and premier account. The personal account allows me to accept payments (as long as they are not cc's) without incurring any fees.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil

Yeah, I was watching this auction too, but never bid due to the 0 feedback. That's not to say it is not legite, but very questionable. I'm sure if you are new to eBay, you have start sometime, but when I looked at his other listings, that's when the red flags went up for me. His listing of cards really had no connection other than the fact that they were key cards in different sports.
He had: Gretzky Rookie, Michael Jordan Rookie, Joe Namath Rookie, Gordie Howe Rookie, a Babe Ruth 33 Goudey, Johnny Unitas Rookie, and Lew Alcindor Rookie.

That just seemed "all over the place to me". If he had a bunch of T206s, then I might have been more inclined to bid.

Now he has a bunch of nice Mickey Mantle cards. I've been keeping my eye on this to see if he ever gets a positive feedback. It just seemed to me that I wasn't willing to lose $600 to take a chance on a nice Cobb. This will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

One of the things he's selling now is a swingset and it's pickup only. He'd have to be pretty bold to scam a bunch of people and then give out his home address.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

You are assuming that he will have to give you his real address after he already has your money.

The swingset listing says, "UPON AUCTION'S END WE WILL WORK OUT OUR PERSONAL INFO"

That sounds a little fishy...

Old 05-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Again, not saying this isnt a scam, but what is so fishy about exchanging the personal info after the auction? It doesnt say after payment. I would never give out my address to a bidder prior to them winning the auction. Ive actually sold many non-card items that were for pick up only and have never once been asked for my address prior to the close of the auction. Who would seriously expect to receive that info w/o being the winning bidder.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

For some reason, I don't think the front/back scans of the Cobb are from the same card. The spacing of the cards corners against the corners of the black holder insert don't match up (most noticable with the top-left front/top-right back corner).

Steve

Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

I just looked at the Mantle cards he's listed and they're all 3 day auctions. Should that quick turn around be a warning sign? When selling cards like this wouldn't you want a longer listing time to increase potential buyers?

Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator

JK, I think your missing my point. What I am saying is that since he is selling the swingset, don't you think he would have the money first and then could give out a false address? Not saying this is what he is up to, but just saying that "Pickup Only" does not guarantee that there is not a scam going on here.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Phil,

I do understand what you are saying - but, in my experience, each time I sold something for pickup only, the buyer brought the money with them. If I had any questions at all about this seller, I would only pay at the time of pickup.

I guess given the other issues, there is reason to be suspicious. I just don't regard the failure to exchange info until after the auction to be one of the red flags.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

I see where you're coming from JK...it's just that if you are selling something that is PICKUP ONLY, I assume you had it inside your house until the seller came by with the money. With a swingset, I assume he has to keep it outside, so if he is legite, he would have to have the money first before giving out the address, since someone dishonest could show up at an odd hour with the address and take it away without paying for it.

Therefore, he would probably ask for the money before giving out a legite address since the swingset will be sitting out in his yard. Now, he would have to ask for the money first and that could lead to a false address...

Geez, I guess I must have slipped a "pesimistic pill" into my vitamins this morning.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

I see this seller is "no longer a registered user" on eBay. Boy he had some great cards up on eBay for about 2 weeks only. I was tempted on a couple, but I'm glad I didn't bite....especially on this Cobb.

Wondering if anyone on the forum did business with this guy?