NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default How Many on the Board Actually Follow Baseball?

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Hard to believe the Yankees could have found a worse broadcaster than Phil Rizzuto, huh?

Old 06-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I've been a Reds fan all my life.I try to keep up with them,but it seems that they find a way to fall by the wayside.'90 was sweet,no offense Jay,but I'm wondering if they could ever recapture the glorydays of The Big Red Machine.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Die-hard Tigers fan. I live almost three hours from Detroit, and still had 20 game mini packages for years until I started school. Even drove all that way and sat in the stands to watch them lose 119 games. Doesn't matter.

1968: World Series games were still played during the day. Our 4th grade classroom had it on the radio every day it was on. Awesome memory (and Denny McClain was wilder than hell in the All-Star game that year).

1984: Living in Maryland in grad school. I could get Ernie Harwell on WJR all the way in Md if I sat on my balcony. I sat out there in a lawn chair with a beer and listened to Ernie the night they clinched the pennant. Finished up my thesis and got home in late Sept just in time to watch the playoffs.

Definitely follow baseball

Joann

Old 06-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm a hard guy to offend, I just randomly attack attack people for no reason At least that's my rep. Some people got street cred, I got board cred.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Donaldson

Been a fan since I can remember. Red Sox season ticket holder (weekends only). Been to about 20 MLB parks and another 10 or so minor league. Watch at least a few innings of almost every Sox game (or highlights). In the winter I watch DVDs of old games from my youth (60s/70s) to get me to spring training!

Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I'm another loyal member of Red Sox Nation....

Patrick

Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I was just worried that since you are an A's fan that I would offend you because the underdog Reds swept the "no way they could loose" A's! As Dibble coined the phrase,"We kicked their ass" !

Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Not even close to an A's fan. I had season tix so I go to the AS game and then kept getting them because they were a good bet to go to the WS and I didn't have to pay for Giants tix. If I had to pay Giants tix I would not spent money on A's tix after 1987.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

After all of this steroid ****, with big mac, sosa, bonds and probably half of the league, it really doesn't get me as interested as i once was . The pitching is rediculous. These guys should be in the minor leagues for god sakes. hitters on steroids plus minor league pitching in the majors = too many 500 HR hitters and 100+ RBI seasons. i mean come on here, look at the HRs already, and we're not evenhalf way through the year, and some guys are almost averaging 1 HR every 2 games. i don't like all of this HR stuff, because thats all people notice is how many HRs a guy hits in a year. i think it takes more skill to hit .330 every year, rather than 30 HRs a year. whats really funny is most of the big HR hitters have a ****ty AVG. 40 HRs, 100 + RBI and a .260 avg. well thats enough ranting for one night.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I love baseball---just not major league nowadays.

now if they'd put a vintage/deadball game on tv, you couldn't pull
me away.
guess that can't happen.

barry

Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Giants fan I'm afraid... interesting tie in to the pre war forum..Jason Schmidt tied Big Six Mathewson for the most strikeout in a game by a Giant pitcher yesterday.

Although I miss the early 70's era (since that was when I was a kid and first became enamored of the game) I still enjoy the game today..nothing like spending a summer afternoon out at the park.

Ricky

Old 06-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Still bleed Dodger Blue, though the flow of blood is less severe than when I was a kid (the Brooklyn and later Koufax/Drysdale days).

Old 06-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I love the game, but don't follow it as closely as when I was a kid. Sadly, I am a lifelong Seattle Mariners fan (since 1977 when I went to their opening game in the Kingdome). I love reading about the "oldtimers" of the game.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

Yankees fan from 1975-1995.
Cardinals fan from 1995 to present.
I don't hate the Yankees, I just like the Cardinals' team colors better

Monkey see shiny, monkey want shiny.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

It's a lot harder to be a Twins fan than a fan of almost any other MLB team because of the chintzy owner who won't spend to build a contender and then won't sell off the good players when they still have value to restock, reload and come back with a really good team in 4-5 years which can contend.
Glad there are so many Twins fans around. It used to be easy to love them because they were the real America's team, a bunch of young kids who played hard, battled to the end and were just good people. Now under Ron Gardensnake they have gotten worse every year, they are a joke other than Mauer, Santana, Nathan and Liriano, and they don't execute fundamentally, don't play the great d they were once famous for and don't hustle and bust butt. They are a joke and if not for the hapless A's would the worst team in the American League. I love the Twin Cities and the State but there are times I wish they would relocate so I could move on to another team to root for.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary Bills

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned the college world series as that is some real baseball.

Gary Bills

Old 06-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

been a mets fan since '83. strawberry & gooden had me hooked. who would have imagined how their careers would turn out. still follow them religiously thanks to the mlb tv package & must admit that i'm feeling fairly well about their potential this year.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

As a long suffering Padre fan I have to ask, has that ball re-entered the atmosphere yet?

Paul wrote:

I'm a long suffering Tigers fan. I was there in 84 when Gibby took Gossage yard and it is still the most electric moment I've ever experienced in person.

Scott

Old 06-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I have been a Dodger fan for over 40 years. I vividly remember taking a transister to grade school and listening to Koufax during the World Series. It's great to see so many Dodger fans on the board.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Die hard Mets fan,,, up till 1 am the last four nites to watch them win 3/4 on the Coast.
Saturday ticket plan holder for many years. My son (yes the ESPN employee ) and I have had the Saturday or Sunday plan for many years now.
Who has the best record in the National League?
THE METS.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 06-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

In the Spring of 1949 I became a Yankees fan.....thanks to Mrs McGregor; our
5th grade teacher. She was such an avid baseball fan that she would show us
the movies of the previous years' World Series. I will never forget the 1947 WS
(Yankees vs Dodgers). It has to be the most exciting 7-game WS ever played.
And, it made me a Yankees fan forever.

I read some of the anti-Yankee posts here lauding Mazeroski's HR in 1960. I recall
that game very well. I can recall that ball carrying into the Left Field stands like it
was just yesterday.

OK.....Trivia Quiz time.....who was the Yankee left-fielder watching that HR go over
his head into the stands ?

And, then I'll tell you who he blamed for the Yankees losing that game....and it was
not Mazeroski.

T-Rex Ted

Old 06-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Wasn't it Yogi?

I still watch it everyday, but I can't seem to find an allegiance of any sorts. I enjoy the game being played correctly, small ball with teams that actually build up their minor league system. You could say I'm a fan of the game more than the players and/or teams.

I do root for players that I have come to know in the past, friends. This whole steroid thing sucks and I was one of those excited about the 1998 race that just seems "duped" in some ways and when I see someone praising Barry Bonds (like Livian Hernandez and Albert Pujols), I find myself disappointed yet more. I'm also not particularily fond of Bud Selig.

DJ

Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Huge baseball fan. Though right now Im all about the Hurricane's bringing the cup to Raleigh.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

maybe nobody follows baseball more then me, then I play in 2 leagues....roughly 40 games per year. I like my personal
trades with my few comrades, this to much the most extent is what I like about cards, then there are others , like
one in mind that BLEW my W-600 deal by emailing the person
behind my back...that part is what I dont like about cards.

I learned along time ago that the polish,jewish , germans,
chechs, swedes, etc....all stay together AND IT'S EVERY
HUNGARIAN FOR THEMSELVES, SO IT IS ALL GOOD !!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

white sox/baseball fan since 1959! love to watch any mlb game, & read about old baseball! dislike...aluminum bats and artifical grass.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

DJ

You are correct.....Yogi Berra was playing LF in the 7th WS game in 1960.

Yogi faults relief pitcher Jim Coates for failing to cover 1st base in a crucial
play in the 8th inning which would have stopped the Pirates 5-run rally (which
put them ahead with a score of 9 - 7).

The Yankees came back to tie it up with a 2-run HR by Yogi in the 9th.

Then in the bottom of the 9th Mazeroski came to bat.......and that is where
my memory fades (or I have a severe "mental block").

This Yogi story was personally told to me by Clete Boyer, who was the Yankees
3rd baseman in 1960

Old 06-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

Yet another loyal member of Red Sox Nation, both up in Boston and down in Pawtucket (one of these days we'll get up to Portland). My wife and I live and die with the team night after night. Today happens to be a good day. The chest pains will be returning in a few hours I'm sure. Have always loved the history of the game and, as history continues to be made, we enjoy watching it unfold. How can you not if you love the game? Of course, it doesn't get any better than Fenway Park if you appreciate history and what has gone down in that hallowed part of Boston over the years.