NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Default 1906 Chicago White Sox Postcard Question (in HUNTS Auction)

The world of postcards is still new to me, but this 1906 Chicago White Sox postcard in yesterdays Hunts auction was trimmed (on the right side). Is that correct? Just curious, since it wasn't mentioned in the description.

1906.jpg

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/im...98&lot_num=221

Lovely day...

Last edited by iggyman; 04-19-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
J@son M1ller

I like to look at the back as well in determining if it was trimmed. Typical postcard size is 3.5 x 5.5 or a little under each dimension. So when you have one that is 5 x 6.5, it is an odd dimension and warrants further review. Just because the guy is cut off on the right does not mean it was trimmed. Might just be that they couldn't fit the entire image onto the determined size of that particular postcard. I don't know that card specifically but many vintage postcards were done in that larger format and they were taking an existing image and imposing onto that format. So, they would have to determine where to crop.

That Fred Wagner photo would normally be on a 3.5 x 5.5 postcard so they give you more headroom but less on the sides in order to get it onto that size. The original negative was in an altogether different aspect ratio.

Last edited by Jaybird; 04-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Robert A

No, I don't think it's trimmed.

I believe this particular postcard is not normal pc size, but much larger. I have a Cubs of the same style that cabinet size.

Rob
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Thank you Gentleman! Good info which makes alot of sense and is definitely appreciated.

Lovely day...
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Dan Brown

I just got my hunt's catalogue in the mail today! I was watching the auction anyways, but still nice to get it before the auction.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

It is a larger than normal postcard but the cropping of the photo looks very strange to me, could very well be trimmed. The ones I've seen (from memory) show more of the players on the right.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Pup6913

Don't want to highjack the thread but what would a 1906 Chicago cubs team pc go for?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Found the postcard in an old 2008 Heritage auction. Here is the link....

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=48123&lotNo=43148

The Heritage auction had a pic of the back side (perhaps Hunt can learn something here).

1906 ws.jpg

Thus, my conclusion; the modern prewar card collector is a finicky animal who is constantly in need of displaying his macho manhood by flipping cards (at a lost). Apparently, the same holds true for prewar postcard collectors. Oh well, live and learn.

By the way, the postcard was not trimmed (if we are to believe two different auction houses)................just a lazy 19th century worker who had some centering issues (from my own experiences, they are not extinct (of course, not on this forum......).

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 04-19-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Zach

I am drooling over that photo right now.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Upon further review, apparently laziness and centering issues did not exist in the 19th century. It is a modern phenomena, that seems to hit auction houses extremely hard.

Found a Legendary auction of a 1906 Chicago White Sox 5X7 over-sized postcard. I believe both Hunt and Heritage owe us postcard collectors an apology on this one.

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=70920

1906 PC.jpg

Lovely Day...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Robert A

Why would someone trim a large pc? Especially an oversized pc...and trim part of the subject matter? I don't think so.

The top example has more left border then the bottom.

Rob
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Why would someone trim a large pc? Especially an oversized pc...and trim part of the subject matter? I don't think so.

The top example has more left border then the bottom.

Rob
There's a little more left border 1/8" perhaps but it's missing 1/2 inch on the right. Even in the description it calls it a 6.5" wide card instead of the typical 7".

There's no reason to trim it and perhaps it was miscut at the factory. I don't think anyone's saying it was done to get a higher grade, etc. but just that it isn't its full size.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Perhaps it was trimmed to fit a scrapbook. The corners certainly appear to have the characteristics of a prior run-in with corner mounts.

scrapbooking-corner-mounts.jpg

If you've read this thread, I've obviously waffled backwards and forwards, but I'm now back on the side of a trim job. Does anybody at Hunt ever read this board? If I was the buyer, I would certainly want to know that the possibility exist that this pc has been trimmed. It sure would be a grand day, if Hunt gave this pc a second look before shipping it out.

Lovely Day...