NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Sean Brennan

Default Im back! pics added! Where is the cheapest place to get Cubs tickets

Was wondering if there is a cheaper way to get tickets for cubs games then through their website with all the fees. Also can anyone recommend good seats to get there?
thanks!

Last edited by milkit1; 04-11-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Had great success buying Cubs tickets on ebays. Great prices and close to the field.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Sean Brennan

awesome, just got tix way up next to the press box but look like good view and only $28 for 2. Do you know the parking situation there? hotel recommendations?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Wrigley Doc

Spring 1977, I was the doc at Wrigley Field during the home games for the players and fans. 8 seat box next to ondeck batter's circle First Base side with concessions....all for free.

Didn't get the same deal for Medical School, however.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Zach

Go White Sox lol
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Ken McMillan

Bleachers are the best and most fun seats. Also the cheapest.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Last year and I assume this year too

wait until about mid-May when they are 10-15 out and a train wreck, then go to Stub Hub and pay 1/2 face value. No lie, this was the case last year, of course not with Cub/Sox or Cards or Red Sox games this year, but pretty much any others should be the same.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM

Bleachers are the way to go if it's your first time, just lots of fun and really there are very few bad seats at Wrigley because everything is pretty close to the field, they are the friendly confines after-all. Parking stinks, there is no parking unless you pay someone $50 to park in their garage. If you have a hotel, park there and take the L, it drops you off right outside and it's cheap... Anyway, enjoy, I always do.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 AM

Oh, and if you go in April, bring a coat, gloves, heavy socks and a scarf, it gets cold. I went to opening day in the late 80's and it snowed just before the game...

-Jim
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Sean Brennan

awesome, thanks for the help
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Matt

Default unless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex View Post
....and really there are very few bad seats at Wrigley because everything is pretty close to the field, they are the friendly confines after-all.....
This is true, unless you're behind one of the many poles supporting the upper deck and roof. I feel sorry for those suckers on sell-out dates. Other than the poles, Wrigley is the best inside atmosphere and outside with the neighborhood setting. Have fun.

Matt
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
This is true, unless you're behind one of the many poles supporting the upper deck and roof. I feel sorry for those suckers on sell-out dates. Other than the poles, Wrigley is the best inside atmosphere and outside with the neighborhood setting. Have fun.

Matt
That's funny, yeah, avoid the poles. I went to the 89 NL championship with tickets my dad won on a radio station in Indianapolis and we were lower level, behind a pole. My dad was nice enough to sit behind the pole so I could keep an eye on the game with my left eye, still, one of my favorite days at Wrigley ever, first night playoff game in it's history and Ryno put one out, but Will Clark made for a sad ending...

-Jim
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Sean Brennan

awesome, i was tempted to get Bleachers but I got one next to the press box as the picture from the seat looked too good to pass up. Hopefully things are as easy to see in reality as they seem from this picture?

cubs game.jpg
Old 03-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Cheapest place to get Cubs tickets is when they play in Pittsburgh

Costs me nothing
Costs regular fans some years off their life watching them
Costs Cubs fans about $10 for good seats
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Zach

Wrigley is packed beyond belief, no parking or extremely expensive parking. Ticket prices are high. I love going to the Cell, yes there are less fans but I love it. You don't have to sit shoulder to shoulder with strangers, the food tastes way better at the Cell, and it's a beautiful park. Go White Sox!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I have had a chance to go 4 times. The first time entering the ballpark from underneath to the field was baseball heaven, the way it should be at every park. As far as seating, I twice had seats in the lower level under the upperdeck, not the greatest, it was like watching the game on TV in 3D with out being able in see anything that went up in the air. Always a great experience, luckily haven't had to worry about parking.

By the way anyone is in MN during the summer, I have Twins tickets for almost every weekend. Let me know and we can see if we can work out getting together.

Have fun, Sean

Lee

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 03-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
awesome, i was tempted to get Bleachers but I got one next to the press box as the picture from the seat looked too good to pass up. Hopefully things are as easy to see in reality as they seem from this picture?

Attachment 59507
That's it, really, everything looks incredibly close at Wrigley, even in the upper deck it feels like you are close to the field. Hope you are going when the ivy is full and the grass is green, it's a beautiful sight...

-Jim
Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Bill T.

Default Go for it

Sean,

If this is going to be your only time at Wrigley, spring for the good seats. My one and only game at Wrigley, I got a seat about three rows behind the far corner of the home dugout. I paid more than I've ever paid for any other ticket, but it was worth it. Sitting right at field level you get a different feel for the game. Plus, the home bullpen is right there.

If you're going for the "ballpark atmosphere" of Wrigley, then just about any seat will do in that old rattletrap. If you're going for the immediacy of the game, then down on the field is the way to go.

Bill
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
awesome, just got tix way up next to the press box but look like good view and only $28 for 2. Do you know the parking situation there? hotel recommendations?
Parking situation? LOL. They have no parking, you'll have to pay $40-$50 to park in an empty lot (if you can find one).

Friends and I come from Northern Indiana, we take the South Shore train into Chicago, and then take the "L" to Wrigley. The few times we've driven, it's been a nightmare traffic and parking wise.

Also, they don't call it the Windy City for nothing, the weather changes in minutes, go buy a cheap throwaway poncho from a discount store to take with you in your pocket in case it decides to rain, and dress warmer than you think you need to.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Dave Foster

[QUOTE=z28jd;976605]Cheapest place to get Cubs tickets is when they play in Pittsburgh

. . . or san diego!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Sean Brennan

well i am back from my Cubs night out. Just thought I would post a few pics and my experience in case anyone else is planning a cubs chicago trip and has never been.

- Took amtrak only cost $36. train trip was fine but waiting at chicago amtrak for our return trip was like something out of a really bad disaster film: way too many people crammed into one room. However the staircase from the movie "the Untouchables" was pretty cool!
-Got tickets on Ebay for $27, realized face value was $20 so I missed something there. However tickets were quite good for the price (which was the cheapest tix there were).
- bought CTA 1 day tickets (good for 24 hours of bus and tram) for $5.50 per. Only used it twice as tram was a germaphobes worst nightmare. We spent the extra money and took a taxi (THAT is how funky the tram was). Also, if you are at 626 n. michigan ave and are going to 524 N. Michigan ave. its not just one block down. Chicago is way big and my legs couldnt handle it!
- ate at the following places:
Giordanos stuffed pizzqa - got a stuffed pizza, was alright but nothing special
Chik Fil-a - oooh la la!
Potbellys - for breakfast, kind of bland and staff was not very friendly
Benningan's - only because it was close to the Art museum where we ended up at last)

- went to Art Museum - very cool! $16 per person but took us well over 5 hours to get through. Best stuff - The minature rooms! The Dorian Gray painting from the film (I am doing my worst Harpo impression in the picture)

- Cubs game went well. They lost thus keeping with the predictability of our trip.
- Stayed at the Omni. 4 1/2 star hotel. paid $120 with taxes through Expedia pick a hotel for ya deal. smallish room but great view and right next to all the shopping I could handle much to my chagrin.

-Also, Don't pretend that you are lost as inevitably a homeless person will come to you posing as a nice person just wanting to help when in fact they are doing it all for $$$ (happened to me FOUR times, once bitten/quatro shy)

There ya have it. Thanks everyone for your help and hope this helps in some sorta way?

2012-04-09_20-16-19_794.jpg

2012-04-09_13-05-05_444.jpg

2012-04-10_07-49-47_65.jpg

2012-04-10_09-54-21_126.jpg

2012-04-10_12-46-22_929.jpg
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM

Is that painting from the movie Portrait of Dorian Gray?

My cousin is regional manager of Potbelly, but on the West Coast.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Sean Brennan

yeah its the movie painting. Was super excited to see it in person. Wished I had taken a pic of one of Albrights other paintings they had that was quite similar. A spooky door with a decrepid old hand reaching from off painting.

Yeah i think potbellys is more of a lunch kind of place. They did play some great music though! Heard Neil Young's "The Loner"
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM

Potbelly is usually in busy urban areas and caters to office workers on lunch with limited time. I ate there once-- eh. Neither loved nor was offended by it.

One thing is they don't accept tips. Company policy. My cousin use to work for Starbucks and says he doesn't think they should accept tips either. I said "Why not?" and he said "They don't bring your coffee and food to you." Just thought that interesting as he used to be an employee. Though he was management.

Last edited by drc; 04-11-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
David Str@@te

Des Moines, and sometimes, they actually win!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM

I want to hear about your Wrigley experience... Maybe it was because I was 6 years old the first time I walked into the place, but it has been a shrine to me my entire life. How did it feel walking in and seeing the early blooming ivy?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Zach

No one talks about the beautiful U.S. Cellular field on the other wonderful side of the city.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Sean Brennan

This was my third time to Wrigley but first in 15 years. My wife expected a bit more out of it but i enjoyed it. It was interesting that they still used the old scoreboard. It was great to think of all the events that had happen there. Now I want to see Fenway!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Todd Schultz

Sean, you may not know it, but one of your dining experiences was also card related. The Bennigan's where you ate is in the People's Gas Bldg on South Michigan, where Felix Mendelsohn had his offices during the time he came up with m101-4, m101-5 and m101-6.

(Maybe I should have posted this in the "you know you're a card junkie when.." thread, as it was the first thing I thought of when you listed Bennigan's).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Sean Brennan

Thats awesome! I currently collect m101-4's and I noticed a lot of the doors and windows seemed old. Very neat!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
wait until about mid-May when they are 10-15 out and a train wreck, then go to Stub Hub and pay 1/2 face value. No lie, this was the case last year, of course not with Cub/Sox or Cards or Red Sox games this year, but pretty much any others should be the same.

I hope none of you were stupid enough to pay face value (or over) or get them on Ebay. If u listened to me you were wise, if u didn't, you'll learn.

They are giving tickets away to Cubs games on Stub hub, going from $2.70 a ticket and up

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-19-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
No one talks about the beautiful U.S. Cellular field on the other wonderful side of the city.
I went to this stadium last year at the National and was severely disappointed. Mostly because the seats fit half a human and legroom is nil and the angle is weird to actually watch the game.

But, if you like commercials being blasted at you at full volume between every pitch, this is a great place to see a game.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I went to this stadium last year at the National and was severely disappointed. Mostly because the seats fit half a human and legroom is nil and the angle is weird to actually watch the game.

But, if you like commercials being blasted at you at full volume between every pitch, this is a great place to see a game.
Wow, so many cynics here... I guess my romanticism is based on early childhood experiences, but the history there keeps me going back and I never once thought I was sitting in anything other than a shrine to baseball. I guess church pews aren't that comfy either, so if you are not really into the Cubs or the history, I could see where it might pale in comparison to the faux-aged, sushi-selling, municipally built horrors that are modern stadiums, but give me Wrigley or Fenway, give me the old Tiger Stadium, which was horrible and a wonderful place to watch a ball-game. Give me Comiskey, the old Comiskey which was as crappy as Tiger stadium, but just as fun, just less fans than the North-side. Wrigley may be a relic, but so are the stupid pieces of card-board I collect and cherish...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post

Lol I guess you got to be a Sox fax to like the park. The food at the Cell is amazing though, and I also love the fact the games are almost never sold out, so I get plenty of room in the nose bleed section, especially since I hate being cramped next to complete strangers unless they are hot women. I also love the wonderful view of the Chicago skyline from nose bleed right field. But I am mostly there to watch my Sox.