NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2022, 08:52 AM
J@RR0D

For those that remember this, here is a fun little update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI3mP8xV-KE

(I did a search in case this has already been posted, but didn't see it)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:06 AM
J@E R1T0

Default Picture of it slabbed

Pictures of the card are now circulating online, see below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aca Wagner.jpg (6.0 KB, 290 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:14 AM

The show was interesting. We know this story from many years ago. Unfortunately for Ray, the card is wrong in so many ways. The investigation can start and stop with the large (not accurate to T206) name, team caption.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:37 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
ACA Grading, based in St-Jerome, Quebec, met with the men recently and after examining the card, decided it was an "unreleased version" of the hobby's most famous trading card, issued in 1909 and then recalled after objections by Wagner.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:46 AM

This show was from early 2013, covered here https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161975

As you can see a few pages back in this post, I have the same reprint card they have and freely shared scans of it at the time. I would not be working right now if that card was real, I would have sold it 20 years ago, and I wouldn't just assume it was fake unless I didn't have 650+ real T206 cards to compare it to. They refused to take expert opinions on the card, as if auction houses wouldn't be beating down their door to sell that card
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-04-2022, 02:36 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
This show was from early 2013, covered here https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=161975
Ah, I searched "Edwards Wagner", but didn't see that come up in my search. Maybe the dash messed me up. Just one of those legendary hobby stories...
Old 03-04-2022, 02:57 PM
Robert J. Miller

I must have been in a coma as I have never seen this story before.

When I saw the scan of the card on the first page, I started laughing.

Bob
Old 03-04-2022, 03:08 PM
Fred

Wow, blast from the past.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:30 PM
J0sh.ua Le0nard

I watched that entire video and loved it....not for one second did I think it was real...neither did the investigators.

"T206 Earl Gray Portrait with piedmont back"

Last edited by joshleon; 03-04-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:32 PM
Brian

At the beginning of the video it recites as fact the number of T206s produced and the number of T206 Wagners produced. Are these facts known?

(This video was interesting and sad although I kinda knew how it would end).
Old 03-04-2022, 10:00 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I loved how the card owner, quite uncomfortably, gave his lame excuse why a multi-million dollar card would be graded by someone other than the Big 3.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:41 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I loved how the card owner, quite uncomfortably, gave his lame excuse why a multi-million dollar card would be graded by someone other than the Big 3.
hes been at it for so long. I wonder how he is able to afford all of these shenanigans, unless he is being paid to be humiliated on these shows.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:38 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Much more closer to the truth is that you would be completely lost without one, as the counterfeit details of many of those cards are not at all clear to the naked eye. With regard to the trimmed cards, many of the most famous dealers prior to TPG in the early '90's carred a loupe with them to shows where they bought raw material in order to check the edges in just the manner I specified, because the cards would indeed measure correctly, and the trimming could not be detected with the human eye. Instead, magnification was required to properly examine the edges and to compare their much sharper appearance against those known to have been factory cuts.

It would clearly seem that you have voluntarily chosen to fall within the category of those befallen by prejudice and/or arrogance, prefering to decide the issue presented on the basis of who these people who own the card are and how different they are from you, when what is really important are the actual facts pertaining to the card itself. You can attempt to rebutt me all you like, but you can't kid yourself about what you really see deep inside you, and you won't change the actual facts about your behavior until you yourself change! Your hostility is only indicative of the truth of the above, which, when you've been brought face to face with it, brings about resentment on your part, and the nastiness comes through. I feel sorrow for your pent-up hatred, which causes you to behave in a manner which you most likely would not prefer, and tends quite strongly to make a complete fool out of you.

Best wishes on a successful metamorphis, becoming a person more willing to objectively consider various sources of actually relevant information, rather than jump to a conclusion based on all the wrong reasons. Remember, my initial post in this thread merely indicated I would like to have more objective information conderning the card itself, rather than people's reactions to the identity of the would-be seller. I did not take any position with regard to the card's validity at all, and most assuredly did not start the nasty comments, but as you have readily seen, am more than capable of defending my position against them.

Larry
And Larry wonders why I think he’s a fool. This is clearly why, next time you see me I’ll know since I couldn’t recall why I thought you were an idiot the last time we talked at a national. You are a moron if you need a loupe to tell that cards bad. Sorry that’s just a fact. Not that anyone who reads your dumb arse posts wouldn’t already know you are a fool. I don’t care what race those gentlemen are only an ignorant clown would defend that card and say something so idiotic like you need a loupe. What ignorance for such a longtime collector.

Last edited by glynparson; 03-05-2022 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:43 AM
octavio ranzola

Probably the most idiotic thing I’ve ever watched😳😳
Old 03-05-2022, 04:50 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I must have been in a coma as I have never seen this story before.

When I saw the scan of the card on the first page, I started laughing.

Bob
+1 on everything he said

I will just add...5 page thread about probably the fakiest fake card of all time!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 03-05-2022, 06:00 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
+1 on everything he said

I will just add...5 page thread about probably the fakiest fake card of all time!
Agreed you think🥺🥺