NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Alright, good point.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

With regards to the registry, I know they won't allow cards with less than 4 copies if they're numbered to be added. So you can't put 1/1s in a set registry and then have the only one. Since this is the only one confirmed of Berra and Mantle, it's possible they wouldn't be "required" members of the set registry and instead be "optional" non point getting cards.
If they are permissible, they would probably poll the top 50 or 100 members of the player set registry to see whether they should be added, before actually doing it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:32 PM
pete ullman

is babe ruth butter cream on the registry?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
is babe ruth butter cream on the registry?
yes, looks like it's in the master set.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...timeset/177698
Old 01-30-2018, 05:43 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
yes, looks like it's in the master set.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...timeset/177698
thank you kind sir...how many of those are there?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
thank you kind sir...how many of those are there?
There are four graded by PSA.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:42 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
There are four graded by PSA.
I wonder if rare front back combos fits this “guideline?”
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
With regards to the registry, I know they won't allow cards with less than 4 copies if they're numbered to be added. So you can't put 1/1s in a set registry and then have the only one. Since this is the only one confirmed of Berra and Mantle, it's possible they wouldn't be "required" members of the set registry and instead be "optional" non point getting cards.
If they are permissible, they would probably poll the top 50 or 100 members of the player set registry to see whether they should be added, before actually doing it.
I can only speak to Cobb, but I can tell you the 1908 Detroit Free Press is on the master registry with only one graded by psa. The Brush Cobb PC is also on there with only 2 graded by psa.

Last edited by orly57; 01-30-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I can only speak to Cobb, but I can tell you the 1908 Detroit Free Press is on the master registry with only one graded by psa. The Brush Cobb PC is also on there with only 2 graded by psa.
There were a couple of only graded on the Mantle one too, and I wasn't asked to vote on it. So, I'm not sure that's the procedure.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:53 PM

Default 1952 Mickey mantle and yogi Berra mascot dog food cards

I read some previous post about these 2 cards that went up for auction and sold. I have a complete collection from mascot dog food with 10 cards in mint condition with geo specs toporcler, don newcombe, Eddie Matthews, Gil Hodges, Monte Irvin, yogi Berra, Mickey mantle, Robin Roberts, al flip Rosen, Ed lipstick. Need some help on how to authenticate and possibly value. I noticed the Mickey mantle sold with Wheatland auction for $23k. I have the whole collection
Old 08-04-2020, 03:01 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbruderer View Post
I read some previous post about these 2 cards that went up for auction and sold. I have a complete collection from mascot dog food with 10 cards in mint condition with geo specs toporcler, don newcombe, Eddie Matthews, Gil Hodges, Monte Irvin, yogi Berra, Mickey mantle, Robin Roberts, al flip Rosen, Ed lipstick. Need some help on how to authenticate and possibly value. I noticed the Mickey mantle sold with Wheatland auction for $23k. I have the whole collection
Authenticating would be easy enough. If you want them graded, You could go the beckett route though I be hesitant to send anything through the Postal Service at the moment. For a Collection like yours, perhaps wait until one of the Shows to happen again and tart going through the grading process there.

You could also post scans of the cards on here, if you want the board members to take a look at them. I'm completely out of my element for something like this, but there are very knowledgeable people on this forum. Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 PM
Jonathan Sterling

It should be easy to get them authenticated if you have 10 of them. Do the Roberts Mantle and Berra all match up with the 3 known examples? If they do then I would think that PSA would be your best shot at getting top dollar. Please I know it is frustrating to post pictures on this site the first time so if you email me the pictures front and back I can post them for you.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:02 AM
Ben W.hitener

WOW...please post pics.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Wayne V

I also would love to see the pics.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

So the known checklist and known count currently is (alpha by last name):
1: Yogi Berra (2) - Set Size: 8
2: Gil Hodges (1) - new name
3: Monte Irvin (1)
4: Ed Lopat (1)
5: Mickey Mantle (2) - Set Size: 11
6: Eddie Mathews (2)
7: Don Newcombe (1) - new name
8: Robin Roberts (2) - Set Size: 8
9: Al Rosen (1)
10: Specs Toporcer (1)
11: UNKNOWN - Presumably Bucky Harris (Mgr)

Originally there were 8 according to the back of the Robin Roberts card in the standard catalog. Do all of your cards mention 11 in the set on the back? If the Robin Roberts in your collection mentions 11 cards, then it's also a variation to the original known card. Once the 11th card is found and authenticated, PSA will likely allow for this to be graded by their company.

I disagree with the poster from a few years ago that the card is so rare that condition wouldn't matter much. I think that if you have an authentic Mantle in "mint" condition (like EX-MT or better), you could put the card in a much more active auction (REA, Heritage, Goldin, etc) and easily get over $100K. You have the benefit of finding the second one, so now the first one has kind of proved the authenticity to the market. If a 2009 Mike Trout is about to sell for $3 million or so, a 7-figure price on a super-rare high grade Mantle wouldn't shock me.

You can load the pictures on a site like Facebook (if you have an account), then use the image icon (mountain with yellow sky) above the text box to format your embedded image in the post, or just post the links (URLs) and people can embed the images for you.

Add: Hodges and Newcombe, along with Mantle, look to be the three cards added to the original 8 (known from the article posted in Post #52).

Last edited by swarmee; 08-05-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:59 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbruderer View Post
I would really like to see photos or scans of the fronts and backs of the cards if you have them. I wonder if you have a complete set since the backs differ in the number of "post card photos" offered. Also, do you have a "mixed" set of cards. Do some say "8 post card photos" on the back, and some say "11 post card photos"? Either way, you would certainly be adding greatly to the checklist of known card examples in the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mascot Dog Food Yogi Back.jpg (63.8 KB, 843 views)
File Type: jpg Mascot Dog Food Mantle Back.jpg (63.2 KB, 850 views)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Chuck Whisman

Bucky Harris is the 11th card in the set. I have scans of the 11 cards, front and back from my research of these cards over the past couple of years since I found and sold the Mantle and Berra. I am actually in the process of writing a story on the set, with photos, and should have it completed in the next 2 weeks. I have photos of the only known complete set of (11) from the original owner who remembered buying mascot dog food in the early 1950s - these are really rare items (I have people calling me frequently to see if any are coming up for sale soon). Three of the card backs mention 11 postcard redemptions in the give-away (Mantle, Newcombe, and Hodges) and the rest mention 8 cards in the post card redemption. There are (11) cards in the baseball card set and the list presented here is accurate. I think they likely made 8 cards in the first year, then added the other 3 (Mantle, Newcombe, Hodges) in the second year. If anyone has more information on Mascot dog food, the company, or these cards or redemption program please let me know. It's been fun researching these cards over the past couple of years to try to piece together more information!
Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw View Post
Bucky Harris is the 11th card in the set. I have scans of the 11 cards, front and back from my research of these cards over the past couple of years since I found and sold the Mantle and Berra. I am actually in the process of writing a story on the set, with photos, and should have it completed in the next 2 weeks. I have photos of the only known complete set of (11) from the original owner who remembered buying mascot dog food in the early 1950s - these are really rare items (I have people calling me frequently to see if any are coming up for sale soon). Three of the card backs mention 11 postcard redemptions in the give-away (Mantle, Newcombe, and Hodges) and the rest mention 8 cards in the post card redemption. There are (11) cards in the baseball card set and the list presented here is accurate. I think they likely made 8 cards in the first year, then added the other 3 (Mantle, Newcombe, Hodges) in the second year. If anyone has more information on Mascot dog food, the company, or these cards or redemption program please let me know. It's been fun researching these cards over the past couple of years to try to piece together more information!
Ah, so you've been holding out on us... ;-) Are you working with pbruderer? Or are you saying you're aware of a second set of 11? If that's the case, we've gone from one known copy in 2016 to about 25 known only four years later.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mascot

Has anyone gotten an answer from the original poster to email
Old 08-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Chuck Whisman

Quote:
Ah, so you've been holding out on us... ;-) Are you working with pbruderer? Or are you saying you're aware of a second set of 11? If that's the case, we've gone from one known copy in 2016 to about 25 known only four years later.
Not really holding out! I was looking forward to announcing it on here and then helping to see if all three grading companies will grade them - that was part of my effort to research them. It appears there are the following known examples to surface from the entire set (24?):
- (1) the original Robin Roberts in the old price guide;
- (2) Mantle and Berra that sold via our auction at Wheatland;
- 11 that I discovered in one collection;
- 10 from pbruderer?
- am I missing any?
Old 08-05-2020, 05:28 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot et al

as I've always believed eventually everything shows up
How long did it take for cleveland indians central bank cards
Cleveland Indians prize frankies?
Bazooka 1960 box set
Mascot dog food
30 years for a red correct mantle armour and then 10
Still finding new pros pizza
Took me 20 years for sal yvars 54 hunterS
60 years to see the missing dice gsmes
Still haven't seen 1/2 set of opc tattoos...they exist but where are they
Only 1 Venezuelan tatoo...they must exist..where are they
Still haven't seen 3/4 of the felin franks
Still haven't seen 3/4 of national tea
How many jerry Jonas have u seen?
50 years to see cheri baas cola
50 years for the plaks
Somewhere someone has these cards just a matter of when and where they turn up
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw View Post
I look forward to reading your followup story about the set.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:37 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

pbruderer....
Doesn't respond to pm or emails
Could be fake
Old 08-06-2020, 07:45 AM

Default Weather Channel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
pbruderer....
Doesn't respond to pm or emails
Could be fake

..most of the East has no electric power,,,,patience this week , eh ?---and I'll be down to see you right after Thanksgiving , virus be damned...

Old 08-06-2020, 07:53 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

possibly....but I'm guessing he has a phone which has email, internet etc
Old 08-06-2020, 08:07 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I tried to ship a package UPS yesterday and one store had power out and did not expect power until weekend at earliest. Next store 3 miles away had no internet, and other customers at second store said that cable internet was down in entire town and most of county.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:13 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

Just strange it shows up just when wheatlands shows up.....NOT big on coincidences
Old 08-06-2020, 11:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
possibly....but I'm guessing he has a phone which has email, internet etc
If it's like mine, the battery is already dead.

We got nearly nothing here, a fairly bad thunderstorm and that was about it.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:18 PM
Ben W.hitener

What a letdown. Was hoping to see an actual find of the entire set.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
What a letdown. Was hoping to see an actual find of the entire set.
Sounds like you will since chuckw posted that he has photographed one.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Jason Ursaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
One would think that any TPG could look at the previous cards, compare, and grade these. I understand they want to be careful but if they can hold one of these in their hands, with all of their equipment they have and not be able to tell if it is real or not, then I am not sure what to say. Pathetic?
Agree with that!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
Sounds like you will since chuckw posted that he has photographed one.
Thanks John. Look forward to seeing them ChuckW!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:39 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUrsaner View Post
Agree with that!
I do not. This would mean they are assuming Beckett got it right. Why should PSA rely on the inferior experts at Beckett? Makes no sense to me. I have no issue with a company deciding it does or does not wish to grade an issue. There are issues I feel are very questionable in some companies holders. I do believe the find chuck made a couple years ago was genuine but PSA should be able to make the determination on what they grade and what criteria need to be met to grade an added issue or card to the catalogs.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:32 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

So has anyone heard from pbruderer yet
No response to email or pm
No response on this board
Anyone think he's real? Whats his name?
Wheres he located,?
Still interesting just happens to show up same time as wheatland with the same unknown cards
Old 08-08-2020, 07:32 AM
edward

I believe many would argue about "inferior experts" at Beckett compared to PSA. Especially in light of PSA's recent problems.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Psa

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmith View Post
I believe many would argue about "inferior experts" at Beckett compared to PSA. Especially in light of PSA's recent problems.

..PSA has been having problems with older cards for a long time...

Old 08-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Glyn Parson

Data entry is. Not done by the graders. I stand by my statement. Beckett grading is. Not reliable I trust it less than any company that I know is still
Operating. They all aren’t perfect but to me Beckett is the farthest from it.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I do not. This would mean they are assuming Beckett got it right. Why should PSA rely on the inferior experts at Beckett? Makes no sense to me. I have no issue with a company deciding it does or does not wish to grade an issue. There are issues I feel are very questionable in some companies holders. I do believe the find chuck made a couple years ago was genuine but PSA should be able to make the determination on what they grade and what criteria need to be met to grade an added issue or card to the catalogs.
As I understand it they generally don't make up their own minds, insisting that a card already be cataloged somewhere first.

To me that's not an expertise that anyone would be inferior to.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:50 PM

A couple of years ago I got a call out of the blue from PSA regarding an issue that I discovered and got put in the Standard Guide. About a month LATER I got another call from PSA regarding another issue I got cataloged in the Standard Guide. When I asked to be put on the payroll they hung up and haven't heard from them since
Old 08-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Scott Russell

I actually put together the composite for 1932 Bulgaria Sport for PSA because I wanted it included in the registry.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-16-2020, 07:18 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

So has anyone heard from pbruderer
Never posted any response....never answered any emails or pm
Was he real or a plant by an auction house
Where are the cards?
Btw...offered him in email a ton of green And he didn't respond

Last edited by sflayank; 08-16-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:36 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Ask Leon to call him if you wish, just PM him.

I just find it pretty amazing that he knew the name of the other two cards in the set before chuckw posted a confirmation. So I'm still in the believer camp. Although I do watch a lot of House and NCIS, so I understand the "there are no coincidences" theory.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:00 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

Why not respond to anyone?
Old 08-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Beckett and PSA seem to do their homework more than SGC nowadays, to me.
I completely disagree with almost everything you say on the subject. Not that that matters, just another opinion.

And this person claiming to have a set is going to be suspended for now. It is a girl and I am not sure that post is on the up and up. I tried to call her but it was a voicemail and I don't leave them.....Caveat Emptor.....

Last edited by Leon; 08-17-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mascot

So where are the pictures
Old 08-20-2020, 08:54 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mascot

pictures of the set which were already taken were promised 2 weeks ago
where are they
Old 08-20-2020, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
where are they
Maybe you can subpoena them?
Old 08-20-2020, 09:19 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mmascot

They must be mixed in with trumps taxes
Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
They must be mixed in with trumps taxes
Done with politics. Infraction given.

and it might say something that with over 10000 members you are the first to ever accumulate 4 infractions and still be here. A new record. Be proud.

Last edited by Leon; 08-20-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Chuck Whisman

Quote:
where are they
I don't think the original person who started this post has responded with their photos. I indicated that I'm finalizing a story on the Mascot cards and will post a link as soon as it is ready (involved in a lot of important environmental and hurricane response work right now but still hoping to get it finished by the end of next week). I'm trying to get information from another owner of a few Mascot cards over this weekend.