NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Mark Medlin

Default Saco river auction

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think the Saco river auction site is easy to use and understand at all. I would have bid more but the site seems to suck. The inability to actually see what the item was bid to cost them money, imo. Any other opinions? Did I not use it correctly?
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
S Gross

Could not agree more, don't know why I even try:

I "think" I bid ???
I "think" I was winning ???
I "think" I lost ???

I "know" I don't "know."

Now, the response will be "it's a live auction" and on line bidders are not their main focus. Which seems to be true "I think."
Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Mark Medlin

Their loss I guess. I won't participate again.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Don Hontz

I just got back from the Saco River Auction---your best bet for bidding is to call them and they will bid for you live---they have many phone banks---and extra people---you can also leave bids with them and they will bid for you accordingly---also the proxy bidding is best for early bid bidding---they look to the floor and the phone banks for the heavy bidding----I was happy to win the 1927 Yankees press pin against heavy phone bidding---Plus I won a few other goodies.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Their loss I guess. I won't participate again.
+1 Tried their site and gave up. Too many other AH with better, easier to use sites. +21% juice? Uh, no . . .
Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Mark Medlin

Congrats on the pickups don!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I just got back from the Saco River Auction---your best bet for bidding is to call them and they will bid for you live---they have many phone banks---and extra people---you can also leave bids with them and they will bid for you accordingly---also the proxy bidding is best for early bid bidding---they look to the floor and the phone banks for the heavy bidding----I was happy to win the 1927 Yankees press pin against heavy phone bidding---Plus I won a few other goodies.
I was in on the 27 press pin. You got it at a very solid price. I was hoping it would go for a song. While it didn't, it still went low. Beautiful pick up.

Tom C
Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I was in on the 27 press pin. You got it at a very solid price. I was hoping it would go for a song. While it didn't, it still went low. Beautiful pick up.

Tom C
Thanks Tom---I was going to go up to 3K before the juice---I am very pleased---The pin is beautiful---better condition than some that sold in the last few years and it is the real deal---I most likely will take it to the National.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Luke Lyon

Yeah I have to agree. I've won a few lots in the past, but I always wake up to an invoice after placing bids two weeks earlier and forgetting about them. It's weird to place an online bid blind without seeing any of the other bids. I'll keep trying if they have cards I like, but it feels very uncomfortable.

Basically, I agree with Scott.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Mark Medlin

As a side note, I just bought a t207 McGraw on eBay from Luke and I am very happy with it!!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Maybe I'm just old, but I don't think the Saco river auction site is easy to use and understand at all. I would have bid more but the site seems to suck. The inability to actually see what the item was bid to cost them money, imo. Any other opinions? Did I not use it correctly?
It's so cumbersome I've given up on their auctions completely
Old 02-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Sean Costello

Their site is a pain. I've bid live with them, and that does work better.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM
J3ff Thr0m

I've bought several times from them and admit it took some getting used to but am now comfortable using them. I've had pretty good success at it too and have been happy with my purchases.

I typically leave my proxy bids the first days the items are posted on Live Auctioneer and then remind myself when the auction is. When it gets close to the date, I confirm my proxy bids and also check how many other proxy bids have been placed. Then I watch through the auction.

I usually use the LA phone app to watch the auction since they start at 4PM my time. As the auctions go, If I'm willing to bump the bid a notch, I do so and then see if it wins. If it doesn't, so be it.

I think people find it odd because it's a live auction, and of course different from eBay and all the other auction houses. It can promote impulse purchases, but it also means you don't wait until breakfast to see if you won a $50 card.

Advantages and disadvantages, agreed. But I've gotten pretty comfortable with the process.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
As a side note, I just bought a t207 McGraw on eBay from Luke and I am very happy with it!!
Thanks Mark, I'm glad you're happy with it
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 AM
Brock

Besides their bidding sucks, their customer service/auction listing sucks also. They had a lot listed as a circa 1910s red sox ball. I sent them two emails, one asking how they determined it to be a circa 1910s when the ball had 1936 wrote on it. They wrote back to me with a nasty reply about the ball and autographs date it to circa 1910.

Couple days later, I asked for more pictures. And after seeing more pictures of the ball. I told them it was 100% not circa 1910 and most likely a old timers ball from the 1930s.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Besides their bidding sucks, their customer service/auction listing sucks also. They had a lot listed as a circa 1910s red sox ball. I sent them two emails, one asking how they determined it to be a circa 1910s when the ball had 1936 wrote on it. They wrote back to me with a nasty reply about the ball and autographs date it to circa 1910.

Couple days later, I asked for more pictures. And after seeing more pictures of the ball. I told them it was 100% not circa 1910 and most likely a old timers ball from the 1930s.

That ball was on Ebay until 1 day b4 the auction. I don't like that kind of funny business.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cy-Young-and...p2047675.l2557

Yah they really need a writer, and like Hunt's the 1 image only blows. Amazing how that can be your business and you would increase your profits by doing a better job yet don't. Baffling. Speaking of Hunts, and while I will give them credit in the customer service area, 2 programs they had in last nights auction had wrong teams in the descriptions. But I guess if these places keep making errors it increases the chances of finding gems in the rough.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Mark

I didn't look at the ball, but I thought the fact that they had ticket stubs from 1910 lent credibility. I used proxibid and didn't have any issues bidding.