NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Default GAI grading

Does anyone know about GAI grading?? I was looking at a card graded by GAI at a good price but have not heard of them grading single cards just packs, any information would be helpful.

Thanks Tucker

Last edited by tuckr1; 03-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
Does anyone kno about GAI grading?? was llooking at a card graded by GAI at a good price but have not heard of thewm with singe cards just packs, any info would e helpful.

Thanks Tucker
Their grading sucks and your post might be the worst spelling I have ever seen on this board. You aren't texting a friend when you post.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Default thanks

Thanks Leon
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Their grading sucks and your post might be the worst spelling I have ever seen on this board. You aren't texting a friend when you post.
We might need Barry to weigh in on that.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Default Gai

Leon, doesn't Mike Baker run (or own) GAI now? When I first learned about grading years ago I was under the impression that he was one of the best graders out there which made me think that Global Authentics would be good, but I too have heard that GAI sucks. Just wondering what you think or have heard about that.
Joe
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

WoW!!! Leon. Where did that come from..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
HAHA... I do teh sam e thing from my phone.

But yes, GAI has destroyed their brand(AND THEY DID HAVE ONE). It started with the autographs and seemingly spread to cards ect. I bet a lot of people got screwed buying "high graded" cards during that time. Anytime I see a GAI autograph I assume it is bad which is not a good thing.
At one time they had the entire market in graded unopened packs and were highly respected. I am pretty sure even that is tainted now. Although, I have not been in that market for awhile. Personally, I would never buy anything GAI graded now. NOTHING

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Default still getting business

They still do get business, but pretty much only for packs now.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post
Leon, doesn't Mike Baker run (or own) GAI now? When I first learned about grading years ago I was under the impression that he was one of the best graders out there which made me think that Global Authentics would be good, but I too have heard that GAI sucks. Just wondering what you think or have heard about that.
Joe
Yes, Mike Baker has been known as one of the better graders in the industry. I have met him a few times and he seems like a nice guy to me. The problem with GAI is that Mike didn't do all the grading and there was loose quality control for quite a while, from what I remember. I would still say most GAI cards are ok but there are a ton that aren't. The higher the grade the more you have to be careful, imo. Whenever there is a high grade GAI graded card sold it usually goes for significantly less than one from SGC, BVG or PSA. The market dictates prices and perceived value.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Alex

Quote:
We have a saying in the South - "simmer down."
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

I find this a bunch of bullpoop. I have crossed many many cards over and many times got a higher grade. Maybe thier other endeavors were bad but thier grading not so.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Shawn M

I was wondering the same thing about GAI, I have heard cards that have been tampered with are easily overlooked by this company and graded well. This is one card I am currently watching but refuse to buy because the reputation of GAI frightens me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-BOWMAN-...item4d0924f2af
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

The older silver flips are from GAIs beginnings. The newer white/black ones - I'd stay away from them.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Henry Nich.ols

Ask yourself this one question if cards in GAI holders are so good why did they not cross into PSA or SGC by now? Would you leave all that money from a GAI holdered card on the table?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
Does anyone know about GAI grading?? I was looking at a card graded by GAI at a good price but have not heard of them grading single cards just packs, any information would be helpful.

Thanks Tucker
Thanks for fixing the spelling Tucker and my apologies for coming off a bit strong. It might be that I have a 16 yr old daughter who texts over 3000 times a month and I get annoyed with her. She has no clue of her surroundings but can text like all get out....This forums posts, while not formal, should be a bit better, in form, than when texting to friends.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Ask yourself this one question if cards in GAI holders are so good why did they not cross into PSA or SGC by now? Would you leave all that money from a GAI holdered card on the table?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rich
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Clayton

I crossed two GAI cards to SGC (quite awhile back), one graded same and one got a bump up one grade. I sent them to SGC still in the GAI holders, but they were the older GAI holders. After that, I read a lot of things that made me a bit uncomfortable buying GAI graded cards, so now I stick to the others (SGC,BVG,PSA)~or raw

I guess it's a gamble- it's probably best to know the type of card you are buying in the holder, and be able to somewhat tell if the card & grade look right to you before pulling the trigger.

Good luck

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtn240 View Post
I was wondering the same thing about GAI, I have heard cards that have been tampered with are easily overlooked by this company and graded well. This is one card I am currently watching but refuse to buy because the reputation of GAI frightens me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-BOWMAN-...item4d0924f2af
The was a Kaline BVG 8 that closed way lower on Sterling last night. Pays to maybe not get fixated on a single example.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for fixing the spelling Tucker and my apologies for coming off a bit strong. It might be that I have a 16 yr old daughter who texts over 3000 times a month and I get annoyed with her. She has no clue of her surroundings but can text like all get out....This forums posts, while not formal, should be a bit better, in form, than when texting to friends.
D03$ $h3 t@lk l!k3 th!$ wh3n $h3 t3xt$? It seems to be popular to talk like this amongst us teenagers.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
D03$ $h3 t@lk l!k3 th!$ wh3n $h3 t3xt$? It seems to be popular to talk like this amongst us teenagers.
I don't read them Wazoo but my guess is yes. She has her learners permit for driving, meaning a licensed adult has to be in the front seat when she is driving. So I let her drive me to her high school each morning. This morning as she was backing out of the driveway, and waiting for me to get in the car, she was texting. It was literally less than 30 seconds but she couldn't be without her freaking Iphone and texting for that long. All of this technology certainly has it's pluses and minuses. And I want this forum to be open and fun, and not formal, but I also don't want posts and threads looking like text messages. That is all.....carry on .

Last edited by Leon; 03-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Lol. I have my permit too. I will have my license in a few months. Yeah, I try not to use my phone in the morning, but technology does have its pros and cons.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

A while back I bought a Cracker Jack off ebay. It was raw but looked high grade. The seller guaranteed that it would grade and that it wasn't altered. So I bought it. The seller stayed in communication with me as I went through the process of getting it graded. I made the choice of using GAI. It came back graded a 6. So in the seller's and my mind it was settled.

Later GAI was going under/transition and I was wanting to sell the card. I also thought the card was better than a 6 so I tried crossing it over to PSA or SGC. Both denied the card as trimmed.

Once that happened I tried crossing over all my other GAI cards and another came back as trimmed (by both PSA and SGC) and the others all lost grades. So I would never buy a GAI card.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham View Post
Joe
I think and understand that
when Mike was at psa he was in charge of the higher dollar cards, and training
new graders, so his influence still exist in millions of cards in psa holders.
pretty interesting!

Last edited by pepis; 03-08-2013 at 07:21 PM.