NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Al Jurgela

Default CDVs from Legendary

Hello all,

Can anyone shed some light on these CDVs from Legendary?

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=121739

I am not sure how to interpret the following:

"Many of the images are the same as the tobacco issues of the era, such as N174 and N332. These are undoubtedly a tobacco insert and were issued as a series since the names of the fighters are all similarly printed in the photo and not on the mount."

Any idea what Tobacco insert?

Thanks for the help.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Dave

That's a helluva leap to make.

I think they are mistaken in that assumption.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM

I guess its a way to help advertise the auction lot. They are trying to appeal to card collectors by saying the cdv's are part of a series or a set. Some people don't consider a cdv a true card, some do. But if its part of a series or set than it now appeals to a broader audience.

Personally I like cdv's, call it a card or just a mounted photo it doesn't really change its significance to me.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Horse***t theory. They are not T cards, they are common 'anonymous' CDVs made from pirated earlier images. The names are on the photos because they are 2nd generation photos [photos of earlier photos with names stripped in on the originals].

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Dave

Do these seem a bit fishy to anyone else? I've been seeing more and more of these anonymous CDV's in the last few years, then I recall ever seeing before.

I could very well be wrong, but something just seems off about them.

Legendary also had a group of those Lorillard/Red Cross "Proofs" holdered by PSA, I never really trusted before.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Do these seem a bit fishy to anyone else? I've been seeing more and more of these anonymous CDV's in the last few years, then I recall ever seeing before.

Not sure. I seem to be seeing more and more 19th century issues these days than ever before.

By the way, if anyone knows who won these CDV's, I want the Peter Jackson and Frank Slavin cards. Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Red Cross items Legendary sold yesterday were previously sold by Heritage in 2007 as part of a group of 11 PSA slabbed items that brought over $400 each. After that happened I was approached by someone claiming to have about 20 of them, unslabbed. I finally got a good look at them first hand and while they are definitely vintage items, they are definitely cut from a larger piece. My guess is an ad banner or poster. If they were proofs I'd expect to see some printers' marks or other indicia of proof status.

As for the CDVs, I've not seen more than in pre-crash years but I have seen a few more offerings this year than over the last few. I suspect that some collectors are recycling their pre-crash purchases into the market to get out of them after giving up hope of a price resurgence in the near future. Perhaps taking some tax losses to offset other gains?

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-25-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Al Jurgela

Default CDVs in General

Thanks for the help guys. Can anyone recommend a place to get some CDVs. There do not appear to be many on ebay and the couple that have high price expectations.

Thanks.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Al, it is highly dependent on who and which ones. You're not going to see any cheap John L. Sullivans or Fredricks brand Heenan cards. Anything else is just a crapshoot.

Or not...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Al Jurgela

Thanks Adam. Will keep that in mind and keep on the lookout!
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting on the N266 cuts, they went for about $155 each, which is obviously way under what they sold for before but better than what they'd been selling for at their worst. I remember one lot of them not selling at the $100 opening in a Mastro auction. I know I got one on the cheap about 1-2 years ago.

Or not...