NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default Pre-1900 or Reprint? Help Appreciated...

Hi everybody. I am concerned about the authenticity of these cards. I bought them at auction today. I have not seen the cards in person. Yes, I understand that it was dumb to purchase these cards without verifying with all of you and obvious other reasons. I couldn't help myself from the impulse buy...

So I am unsure if they are reprints or not. But also I don't know why someone would go through the hassle of reprinting these players...

With that said, can any of you identify these cards being legitimate or not?

The paper looks of the era due to the chipping of the borders but the printing seems off to me. All these players were playing on the teams depicted on the card during 1888 season. That is the only year where all the teams match up with the player.

Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated!

Pictures posted below of the following players:
Elmer Foster
Deacon Mcguire
Ed Andrews
Pop Corkhill
Germany Smith
Hub Collins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1165.jpg (84.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1164.jpg (86.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1163.jpg (83.9 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1162.jpg (86.0 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1161.jpg (85.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1160.jpg (83.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1159.jpg (67.9 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Tanman7baseball; 08-20-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default Backs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1166.JPG (49.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default opinion

Looks like you have a real poor condition Obak there and the rest modern aged photos. I agree with the printing font being not of the era.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Looks like you have a real poor condition Obak there and the rest modern aged photos. I agree with the printing font being not of the era.
Yah thats what I was worried about... I know there is a random Obak thrown in there but it was nice to see it there for reference of the size of the cards. I am just confused why the cardstock on the first picture is chipping on the bottom right. The cardstock looks good in the pictures but can't get over the print. Thanks for the opinion.

I have to pay by 6pm tomorrow so I guess I will wait for more opinions and see how long I can stretch this out.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:39 AM

Obak probably good, the "1800's" cards are not...the typeface looks way too modern.

Brian
Old 08-21-2019, 01:33 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

These are not 19th century cards. The images are from the Old Judge set, but the typeface used for the names is not what was used on Old Judge cards. Call it a fake or a fantasy item, but it my opinion it is worthless.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:16 AM
Alan Elefson

I am probably wrong, but is there a chance these were cut from the 1920s era team posters showing OJ images? The print still looks off to me so maybe they are cutouts of a reprint poster?

Alan
Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
I am probably wrong, but is there a chance these were cut from the 1920s era team posters showing OJ images? The print still looks off to me so maybe they are cutouts of a reprint poster?

Alan
I don’t think you’re wrong, because I was thinking the same thing. I think those posters were on newsprint or something similar, and it looks from the pictures like somebody cut out the pictures and glued them to cardboard. Thus I don’t think these are modern, but neither are they 19th century. They’re certainly not real Old Judges.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 AM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
I don’t think you’re wrong, because I was thinking the same thing. I think those posters were on newsprint or something similar, and it looks from the pictures like somebody cut out the pictures and glued them to cardboard. Thus I don’t think these are modern, but neither are they 19th century. They’re certainly not real Old Judges.
Interesting. So essentially these Old Judge cut out images don’t have any value correct?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Hank Thomas

I'd be very surprised if any but the Obak aren't fake. They have all the earmarks of the faked "aging" of Negro League and other memorabilia in the last several years. Guessing they came out of Ohio originally.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I'd be very surprised if any but the Obak aren't fake. They have all the earmarks of the faked "aging" of Negro League and other memorabilia in the last several years. Guessing they came out of Ohio originally.
So just to finalize this. I am going to retract my winning bid from this auction and tell them that the cards are not of the era. Good idea?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:53 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

The photo quality strongly suggests they are not period issues, i.e., they are fakes.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman7baseball View Post
So just to finalize this. I am going to retract my winning bid from this auction and tell them that the cards are not of the era. Good idea?
Sounds good to me. As noted above, my best guess is that they are from the 1920s, cut out from newsprint or poster stock and glued to cardboard. They're certainly not real Old Judges or any other 19th century cards. I doubt that the person who made them (possibly many decades ago) had any intention to deceive anybody; they just had these images that looked like old-time baseball cards, and they made their own "cards" out of the images.