NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Calif. Card show!!!

WOW! About time!

http://www.psacard.com/articles/arti...ezine2013jan08
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Ken McMillan

Anyone have any idea on if there will be prewar cards there? I could use a good fix!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

And this...http://www.socalsportscollectors.com/index.html
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Mark Macrae

At this weekend's show there will be more than a handful of exhibitors that have vintage sports material (pre 1970), including Roger Neufeldt, Jay Miller, Bob Celani, Adam Warshaw, Anthony Nex and myself. There are a number of exhibitors that are supporting Bob Givens' efforts (as well as another local group) in an attempt to revitalize the local show scene in Southern California, which was one of the best, well balanced show circuits in the country 20+years ago
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Mark anyword on if there will be funnel cakes, rides or perhaps a petting zoo? I’ve gotten pretty picky about what I look for in a vintage card show these days.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
David M.

I received this offer from Beckett related to the Southern CA show.

Show Hours
Friday, January 11 (4pm-9pm)
Saturday, January 12 (10am-5pm)
Sunday, January 13 (10am-4pm)

Please join Beckett Grading Services at the So Cal Baseball and Sports Collectors Expo this weekend at the Anaheim, CA, Marriot. Beckett will be onsite collecting submissions for all of their grading services. This is a great chance to submit your pieces directly to Beckett, pick up your Beckett price guides, and speak directly to the BGS employee based in California. This is our first time to this great event and we hope you can make it out!

For more information about this event, including the amazing autograph guest line-up, please go to www.socalbaseballexpo.com.

Not able to make it to the show and want to find out how to submit your cards to Beckett, please contact Justo Vazquez, in our California office, at 714-200-1934 or jvazquez@beckett.com.

Bring this email to the show and choose from either of these grading specials

2-Day Grading For $20/card or 45-Day Grading For $6/card

2-Day Grading for just $20/card
Submit as many cards as you would like under the 2-day grading level and have them graded for just $20/card (Normal Price $26/card). This is a savings of up to $6/card. A great offer for those customers that need their cards back quickly! No limit on the number of cards you submit for this offer.

OR

45-Day Grading for just $6/card
Submit at least 50 cards and we will grade your cards at our 45-day level for just $6/card. This is a savings of at least $100 per order. This is an offer many of our customers look forward to so we hope it works for you. This is a great offer if you are looking to save some money and are not in a huge hurry to get your cards back

See below for rules and regulations on this offer

Limit one promotion per submission. Offer expires on 01/31/13 and is not valid for any JSA orders. Not interested in a 2 or 45-day service…..please see the BGS submission form for other service levels and all associated prices. Customer is responsible for all surcharges and return shipping/insurance. See the Beckett Booth for more information. There will be no onsite grading at the event in Anaheim. Beckett will simply be taking submissions for grading.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Mark Macrae

John,The show is across the street from Disneyland, so I don't think the promoter would want to compete with that venue. If you could hold out until the National returns to Cleveland, you'll get all of your wishes. Just don't eat the rancid funnel cakes before you get on the ferris wheel.... or the place may smell like a petting zoo....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

That's just good sound advice thanks Mark.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'll be there on Saturday @ Anthony's table and around the show floor. Anthony, Jason Miller and I are starting the show that will be in Culver City on May 18th. We are looking to run a throw-back, card club type show: one day, no autograph guests, low admission price, free parking, modest table pricing to encourage weekend warriors to take a table and show up. By keeping the costs and ambitions down we are hoping to create a sustainable show for the longer term where the cards and memorabilia are the focus. If it works we will make it a regular event, perhaps 2-3 times a year.

We are also tinkering with the idea of creating a card club itself with regular meetings that would occur on either an evening or weekend and not necessarily be open to the public or feature dealer-customer structure but would instead be geared to creating the sort of show it off, trade, buy and sell local camaraderie that many of us who were collecting in the late 1970s recall.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
mark sanders

Default any reviews?

am anxious to see any reviews, comments or pix about this show, from both the dealers and attendees pov....
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Ken McMillan

Thought about driving over but wasn't sure it would be worth a tank of gas.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Al

I'm looking forward to taking a cross-country trip to SoCal to set up at the show being organized by Adam, Anthony and Jason. Should be a blast.

-Al
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Matt Hall

I went on Friday and had great time. I browsed a few tables then talked to Mark Macrae for a couple hours. I picked up a W517 mini of Lefty Grove and a hand full of Zeenuts from him. Then got schooled on the hobby free of charge.

There was a dealer named Paul whom I've never met before, he had a nice selection of raw tobacco and candy cards, actually he had a little of everything. His prices were fair and he was a really cool guy. He told me he only goes to local shows.

Mark's selection was impressive and as you probably all know, fair Prices (many low prices actually). I also saw Rodger N, fair prices as well as a nice selection of raw material.

I think going on Friday is kind of a mistake because, like last year, I missed out on meeting other board members like Adam, Anthony, and Jason M.

If I had to guess there were at least 10 guys there on friday with quality material and shockingly, I only recognized 2 cards from ebay high BINs!

I saw a guy setting up some Cuban stuff, whom I later found out to be Ryan C. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.

Overall I really enjoy this show and im thankful it exists.... Looking forward to the show coming in may.

-Matt

Last edited by Matthew H; 01-13-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
J@son M1ller

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet Matthew. Always good to shake hands with another Southern Cal card collector. I thought the show was good on the one day I was there. Met and talked to most if not all of the guys set up and many of the folks walking around. We had flyers for the May show and there seemed to be some genuine interest in getting this kind of collector club vintage show going.

The best part of a show for me is just meeting and talking cards with the guys. I think the dealers did fine and overall were happy with the show. One of the main reasons we're doing the Saturday only is because it seems like the two other days (Friday and Sunday) are light traffic days. Also, we'd like to encourage everyday collectors to set up a table and the time commitment of just one day seems like it might help anyone on the fence. Also table fees are cheap.

Last edited by Jaybird; 01-13-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I would like to have been there Friday but work prevented it. Ditto everything Jason said. A decent little show. Could use a few more vintage dealers, though I heard that some of the dealers canceled due to illness, so the show may have been a bit smaller than was intended. Paul [Markoe] is a fixture at most SoCal shows and will hopefully be at ours. Nice man, king of the lower grade cards. From him I picked up an E210 Rice with a ghost back, a Zeenut Oscar Vitt and a Diamond Match cover of Izzy Goldstein. Ryan had nice 1915 Susini Tris Speaker that is now part of my collection. If I'd had $30K lying around I'd have purchased his 1920s Negro League HOFers; those cards were the best things at the show that I saw. Also got a few boxing PCs and several photos from Jim Jeffries' boxing facility signed and stamped by the staff photographer there. Very much enjoyed visiting with everyone though I did not sell a thing. I don't realize how much I miss shows until I get to go to one...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Mark Macrae

Great show this weekend. Congrats to Bob Givens for putting together a nice selection of dealers. Sorry that Jay and a few others were under the weather. Enjoyed visiting with several people , including the two handfuls that post / lurk here. We'll have to raise funds to get Wonkaticket out here to the Coast. He missed the sausage eating contest and the organic produce booth on the other side of the room. I think they are still waiting for the person holding ticket #3 for Hubie Brooks. He'd really like to go home tonight......Looking forward to the show in May
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I would like to have been there Friday but work prevented it. Ditto everything Jason said. A decent little show. Could use a few more vintage dealers, though I heard that some of the dealers canceled due to illness, so the show may have been a bit smaller than was intended. Paul [Markoe] is a fixture at most SoCal shows and will hopefully be at ours. Nice man, king of the lower grade cards. From him I picked up an E210 Rice with a ghost back, a Zeenut Oscar Vitt and a Diamond Match cover of Izzy Goldstein. Ryan had nice 1915 Susini Tris Speaker that is now part of my collection. If I'd had $30K lying around I'd have purchased his 1920s Negro League HOFers; those cards were the best things at the show that I saw. Also got a few boxing PCs and several photos from Jim Jeffries' boxing facility signed and stamped by the staff photographer there. Very much enjoyed visiting with everyone though I did not sell a thing. I don't realize how much I miss shows until I get to go to one...
Paul had a two player Brooklyn Old Judge that I really regret not buying... I got all condition prude at the hacked off borders... In hindsight, it had perfect photo quality, and I could have "fixed" it with an actress card.

I'll see you guys in May, if I have enough stuff I want to sell at the time, I'll get a table. A saturday only show really is a great idea.

-Matt
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Paul had a two player Brooklyn Old Judge that I really regret not buying... I got all condition prude at the hacked off borders... In hindsight, it had perfect photo quality, and I could have "fixed" it with an actress card.

I'll see you guys in May, if I have enough stuff I want to sell at the time, I'll get a table. A saturday only show really is a great idea.

-Matt
I'm pretty sure that I have Paul's email if you want to still buy it. Could put you in touch with him.

Also, we can't take credit for Sat only show. Mark Macrae, our show mentor , has been running a successful show this way for 30 years up in San Leandro. It seems to work for him and allows for everyone to have a life as well.

Last edited by Jaybird; 01-14-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
I'm pretty sure that I have Paul's email if you want to still buy it. Could put you in touch with him.

Also, we can't take credit for Sat only show. Mark Macrae, our show mentor , has been running a successful show this way for 30 years up in San Leandro. It seems to work for him and allows for everyone to have a life as well.
The only downside to a one day show is it makes it less viable for out-of- towners. Otherwise I hope to make more shows in the future too. I would love to come west and do some shows with Mark M. and friends....I do understand the one day concept and agree it works, especially for more local people.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Mark Macrae

The one day show most likely would scare away long distance dealers, like Roger Neufeldt and others more than 700 miles away, but the distance from Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego and Northern California is an easy few hour drive. The expenses would be Friday night lodging and gas. So Cal dealers Gavin Riley, Steve Brunner, Clay Hill, Tony Galovich and even Goodie Goldfaden were regular attendees at the Nor Cal shows years back. While gas prices have gone up since then, so has fuel efficiency. Four vintage dealers, each with a few albums full of vintage cards and an overnight bag could easily fit in a Prius wagon and their expenses wouldn't be much higher than the cost of a couple In N Out Burgers....of which there happen to be a few of located in the Big Valley...

Last edited by oaks1912; 01-14-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
The one day show most likely would scare away long distance dealers, like Roger Neufeldt and others more than 700 miles away, but the distance from Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego and Northern California is an easy few hour drive. The expenses would be Friday night lodging and gas. So Cal dealers Gavin Riley, Steve Brunner, Clay Hill, Tony Galovich and even Goodie Goldfaden were regular attendees at the Nor Cal shows years back. While gas prices have gone up since then, so has fuel efficiency. Four vintage dealers, each with a few albums full of vintage cards and an overnight bag could easily fit in a Prius wagon and their expenses wouldn't be much higher than the cost of a couple In N Out Burgers....of which there happen to be a few of located in the Big Valley...
Since last year there was an explosion of In N Out Burgers in N.Texas. We have one on every corner now. They are great burgers but I think they over-saturated the market. I look for a few of them to actually close down (locally) because of their over population. And back to the subject, I would love to be able to drive for 2-3 hours to get to a good one day show. I would do that every day. I understand that the original show we are discussing is a 3 day show so that might be doable if it keeps going. Coming west would be fun as we always go east.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Ken McMillan

Leon,

Would trade a few of our In And Out Burgers for a few Steak and Shake restaurants. I crave it every time I make it back to the Midwest.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Leon,

Would trade a few of our In And Out Burgers for a few Steak and Shake restaurants.
We have a bunch a Steak and Shakes down in Florida, I'll gladly administer the trade. Also some Krispy Kremes would be nice.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Barry Sloate

We have Moo Burger here in Brooklyn, and they pack them in every night....it's one succulent burger!

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Ken McMillan

Five Guys restaurants have been opening up like wildfires here in California and they are disgusting and over priced. Like eating pure grease.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Anthřny N. ex

In and Out is grossly overrated. Leon, you need to come out for our show in May and we'll take you to The Shack on the beach in Playa Del Rey, best burgers in the world.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
In and Out is grossly overrated. Leon, you need to come out for our show in May and we'll take you to The Shack on the beach in Playa Del Rey, best burgers in the world.
If I make it from Portland, can I get in on that?
JimB
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Clayton

Sounds like it was a great time. When is the next one planned? I have family in San Fernando Valley & Ventura County and could plan a little adventure out of it.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
The Shack is amazing. I found that place by chance, and I try to go back whenever I'm in the area.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Sounds like it was a great time. When is the next one planned? I have family in San Fernando Valley & Ventura County and could plan a little adventure out of it.

Sincerely, Clayton
There is a one day show in May... Culver City I believe, could be off though.

If anyone wants to split a table with me shoot me a PM... I've a few things I'd like to part with.

-Matt
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Clayton

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it.

I've always wanted to go to the one up in San Leandro but that's a long haul from here & I really don't like to fly. May sounds good, right before the heatwave

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Thanks Matt, I appreciate it.

I've always wanted to go to the one up in San Leandro but that's a long haul from here & I really don't like to fly. May sounds good, right before the heatwave

Sincerely, Clayton

No problem, I hope to see you there!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Clayton

Quote:
No problem, I hope to see you there!
Thanks, likewise.

Will there be a little heads up as far as the date of the show, or is it still undetermined?

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Thanks, likewise.

Will there be a little heads up as far as the date of the show, or is it still undetermined?

Sincerely, Clayton
I'm not 100% sure of the date but I'm sure one of the guys doing the show will chime in the AM. If not I'll be sure to let you know.

-Matt
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 AM
Clayton

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure of the date but I'm sure one of the guys doing the show will chime in the AM. If not I'll be sure to let you know.

-Matt
Thanks Matt, this sounds awesome. It'd be great to meet all of you guys, and check out some cards !!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Anthřny N. ex

Quote:

-Matt
Matt and Clayton, the show is May 18th, in Culver City. Tables are $95.
http://www.socalsportscollectors.com/
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Anthřny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
If I make it from Portland, can I get in on that?
JimB
lol. Instead of Rigo's or as well?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Thanks for the info Anthony, I appreciate it !!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Rich Klein

Default Speaking of places to eat that have closed down

Leon:

The Tin Star at Park and the Tolway we used to eat at frequently closed their doors in the past week. According to the email they are looking at a nearby location. All the tin Stars we used to go to are leaving. Thank goodness new places like Furrs and Sauced are ready to go

Rich
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Leon:

The Tin Star at Park and the Tolway we used to eat at frequently closed their doors in the past week. According to the email they are looking at a nearby location. All the tin Stars we used to go to are leaving. Thank goodness new places like Furrs and Sauced are ready to go

Rich
Rich,

Is it possible at Furrs to go through the drive thru and order a Furr Burger to go? LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
That was the location for the Gene Hisseroth Culver City monthly show
i don't think they had a show there since he past he had a card shop
just a block from there. one of my closest friends in the hobby.
Pepe

Last edited by pepis; 01-15-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Candidly, we're also hoping that a one-day show will bring out the old-school weekend warriors, the guys with no real business plan, inventory, etc., and no real ambition to be 'dealers' but a lot of accumulated stuff that they'd like to turn over and would otherwise either send to an auctioneer or put on Ebay. Just the excess stuff I've sent to an auctioneer over the last year could fill a table easily and I'm sure I am not unique in that respect. My hope is that a table fee of under $100 and a one-day time commitment will convince those guys to come out and give it a shot. So, anyone reading who is SoCal local, mark May 18th and think about taking a table. Bring out your doubles, your triples and your stuff that no one would possibly want--you might be surprised.

We will have table contracts and a table selection sheet ready in a week or two.

Or not...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Larry

What a terrific idea, Adam--just like the good old days, before virtually everything went on-line! Wish I could be there, and wish you the very best of luck!

Regards,

Larry
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
That was the location for the Gene Hisseroth Culver City monthly show
i don't think they had a show there since he past he had a card shop
just a block from there. one of my closest friends in the hobby.
Pepe
Thanks for that information, Pepe. We had heard that there were shows there previously but didn't know who held them. I believe Phil Regli mentioned that there were shows there in past. Are you still in Southern Cal?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Ken McMillan

Hollywood Park casino used to be one of the best shows in SoCal. Was always worth the trip even in a bad neighborhood.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Hollywood Park casino used to be one of the best shows in SoCal. Was always worth the trip even in a bad neighborhood.
Sure Jayson, i'm still in SoCal i'm a Valley boy now or should i say Valley
old man, in 83 and 84 i did a couple of larger shows there and the 84 one
was probably one of my top 5 ever, but the reason was i had many
olympic pins.
Pepe
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
Sure Jayson, i'm still in SoCal i'm a Valley boy now or should i say Valley
old man, in 83 and 84 i did a couple of larger shows there and the 84 one
was probably one of my top 5 ever, but the reason was i had many
olympic pins.
Pepe
Would love to have you at this one if you wanted to come down. I love stories of the shows that used to be and anything related to hobby history.

Anyone else interested can contact us through the contact page on the site or PM me and I'll give you my direct email.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Wait a minute............

..........I live 2 blocks away from that show location in Culver City. I can state, unequivocally, that In-'N-Out burgers are not overrated. Their fries, on the other hand, need work (unless you order them "animal style"). Any negativity towards In-'N-Out, is borderline blasphemy.

For any of you planning to attend the show, there's an In 'N Out approximately 1 mile or so away from the location--East on Venice Blvd.

Michael
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
..........I live 2 blocks away from that show location in Culver City. I can state, unequivocally, that In-'N-Out burgers are not overrated. Their fries, on the other hand, need work (unless you order them "animal style"). Any negativity towards In-'N-Out, is borderline blasphemy.

For any of you planning to attend the show, there's an In 'N Out approximately 1 mile or so away from the location--East on Venice Blvd.

Michael
I didn't see anyone say In n Out Burgers are overrated. I said they are over saturated in our area. I like them animal style and their burgers are really good...and very fresh. I don't believe their hamburger meat is ever frozen. That being said, they really could brush up on their fries. Even animal style they aren't that great...they are ok but not great.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

Michael
Actually, some locations of In Nd Out are better than others. The one we have here in the Palm Springs area isn't that good. The one in San Bernadino is awesome. Would still trade one for an occasional Staek and Shake in SoCal