NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default what ever happened to macwell and caputti? t206 mailer?

Posted By: peter ullman

I used to get a few page auction sheets every few months from them...i think that's the right name? they had a neverending stock of t206's in all conditions with most rare backs from time to time...blank backed cross hatched proofs i recall. also tons of mii6's in top grade. i purchased a few cards from them over the years and then they faded away. where'd they go?

pete ullman

Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

it is Maxwell & Caputo. There are many of us prewarist that have dealt with them here ,have shared many stories.Nice people and they knew and took time to educate collectors on backs ,rarities, etc...

I found them once by accident on ebay and didnt put a marker on the
user name.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

They always seemed to have a ton of the T206 caption variation cards (ie. Nodgrass, Murr'y, Shappe, etc.) with many not cateloged even now. This was before these print freeks jumped up in value. It was always fun to go through the list of cards.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'd like to know their eBay name if anyone has it... They had those great phone auctions, always ending on a Thursday night. I remember Mary Caputo trying to answer questions, her voice always calm and nice. I think Mr. Maxwell's name was Charles... I sent him a Charlie Maxwell card, the fellow who played for the Red Sox in the 50s, I think. He was quite knowledgable about old cards, and would share his knowledge. I bought a Demmitt St. Louis T206 from him. The card had a story, he'd bought many cards during several visits to an old collector, this was one of them. He'd leave the fellow with the cards loose, in hand. He'd lost track of this Demmitt, and didn't worry too much about it. One day, just before he was about to trade his old car in, he took a moment to clean some of the clutter out, and there, down by the seat, resided Demmitt, having been there for quite some time, and only a day away of being gone forever.

If anyone knows their eBay ID, please share it here or email me. Thanks. They were great folks with whom to deal.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

It's Jim Maxwell and Ginny Caputo. And, like many others of you, I got quite a few great cards from their auctions including my N162 Dunlap.

Both are very nice, friendly people and are now heavily into art in their own way. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.maxwellcaputo.com

http://www.virginiacaputo.com

Their ebay id is "imajgin." They are, unfortunately, out of the card business.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i was close dan!!!

pete

Old 12-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've known Jim Maxwell for years and I received his mailers and they were always loaded with great stuff at reasonable prices. I asked him why he stopped and the answer was obvious- he could no longer replenish his stock when the market started surging. The days of the independent dealer who can keep offering fresh material through a simple mailer are over. I used to send out the same kind of flyer nearly every month. Can't do it anymore. Plus everyone would ask for scans of every last card and I would go nuts. In those days, "VG" or "EX" was all anybody needed to know. Do I sound nostalgic?

Old 12-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

You are right on the names.... Somewhere I have some of their old auction lists. The good old pre-eBay days.

'tis a shame they don't still sell cards.

Frank.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Looking at the maxwell/caputo web page it looks like they have a page under construction which will be selling cards....

Old 12-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Tbob:

That page on Jim's site has been like that for two years. He told be back in 2005 that he's out of the card business.

Kevin

Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

close to your Vodka & tonic. I think you were reading your Macwell & Caputti dictionary to had come up with that one.....good one Petey !

no just messing with you. They & Rotman were very fun back in the day. I had my best deal with Max & Cap.....Gandil "Red Hindu & MC- Graw Lenox, got both in an auction for 66 bucks ,vgx- vg. They by accident mislabled the backs. I traded Dave Foreman the Gandil in Cleveland about 9 yrs ago with a couple other cards for 2 Lajoie T-3's and a Cy.Young T-3.

CHeers

Old 12-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I guess you can add me to the list...When I first started collecting, I bought many a card from Jim Maxwell. I had about 40 of the catchers in the T206 set, which I bought from Jim Maxwell, Larry Fritsch, Mark Macrae, and Lew Lipset's Four Base Hits Catalog.

Boy I miss those days...and the prices. SCD was worth waiting for each week, but getting the Four Base Hits Catalog was the best.

Patrick