NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default t206 backs, mainly

Posted By: identify7

I am not a collector of t206 cards, and I have very little knowledge about them.

It seems to me that there are lots of backs in this set which have the same (or nearly so) fronts. Also, some sets other than t206 use the same fronts with their own backs. Examples of this may be red cross, t213, and others.

In addition to this, some sets appear to use the same "picture" but crop it, color it, etc. differently. Examples of this may include s84? silks and T3s.

If the above is true, a single player portrayal could be represented on many different cards. If I was to begin such an accumulation, which player/pose choice would yield the most different cards?

Anyone have examples of this type of accumulation?

Edited to add:

Or if what I am asking involves a research project, perhaps you can suggest a source for identifying all t206 front/back combinations. The t206 Museum did not seem to have that information (or I missed it).

Thank you.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hi gil
to clarify, the silks are s74....and use the image from t205....not t206.
i would guess the red portrait cobb would be in the most differnt issues (only a guess). the red portrait cobb does have the most different backs within t206.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

to respond to your follow up question, hiteman's (sp?) book on t206 does say what players are available with what backs.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

try this link, it should provide you with everything you're looking for:

http://rdwyer.250free.com/T206Backs.html

Brian

Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Maybe I'm wrong, but gil seems to be asking which PLAYER could be found in the most numer of sets, perhaps in the same pose, perhasps different.

He said he WASN'T collecting backs!

Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

If I correctly understand your question....YES, a close friend of mine,
for over 25 years has accumulated over 25,000 T206 cards. His goal was
to acquire every card in the set with every possible back of a given card.
He more or less has finally given up on this goal; but, he certainly
has quite a collection.

My appreciation of his endeavor (in helping him) do this, is that I was
able to complete the T206 set (minus Plank and Wagner) in less
than 5 years. We did a lot of trading of T206s.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian

I bought this a few months ago and it is well worth the $$. After I won the auction I realized the author/seller lived in my town. I met him and he is very knowlegeable on T206's. The book list which backs are available in each series and all possible backs. Also list each card and which series it is available in. Using this you can very nearly estimate how many possible variations are available for each card. It's a great quick read as well. I think most cards come out to like 20 or 30 possibilities Here is a link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/T206-informational-booklet_W0QQitemZ5226346836QQcategoryZ86840QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

If you would like I can figure up a specific card for you.

Damian

Old 08-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Gil.

Lipset's encyolopedia cross references t206 with the silks, t3s, and other sets along with a t205 cross-reference. It's a nice resource for a type collector.

Damian.

Not long after I first started collecting t206 in 1999, I pick up Mark Peavey's short work on T206 and it helped me out a great deal too. In fact, I still use it for a check list. One time, I gave it away to a new collector and Mark sent me a new one for free. Nice guy.

Robert A

Old 08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian

Robert,

The booklet I have from Mark has a 2005 copyright. Did he publish one previously? This one is titled "Mysteries of T206". It is the same booklet I posted a link to the auction for. I agree Mark is a great guy. After I met him, he told me to call any time with questions or opinions on T206. He actually told me about this forum, but I don't think he reads or posts here.

Damian

Old 08-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Hi Damian,
I think he reads and posts here once in a while under the name drumback. The first booklet was copyrighted in 2001. Maybe he updated it, but not sure.

Robert

Old 08-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I was thinking that it might be fun to assemble all of the different card backs for a single player & pose. This assembly could include t206s and other sets which show the same player and pose.

Last night I took a quick look at this possibility and believe this assembly likely to be rather difficult to complete, due to the scarcity of some sets.

Specifically, those t206 look alikes I have tentatively identified include t214 Victory - which contains 30 cards (as of Lipsett's publication), L1 + s81 Helmar Premiums which have 25 "cards" each, T3s, three subdivisions of Coupons, and t215 red cross (which may include the Pirate back that reportedly was distributred to American servicemen overseas).

Since some of these relatively small sets appear to be a limiting factor, I sought the players common to each. Although I have not visually verified that a similar pose is in each set, only Bender is available in all sets. Cobb is solely unavailable in the Pirate backs.

It may be reasonable to expect that some of these cards are infrequently available. Therefore, pursuit of this type of a grouping would likely involve the assembly of the more common cards and waiting for the more difficult ones to become available.

Edited to add:

Looking at a few of the poses: The T3 shows Cobb bat on, T215 has Cobb bat off, two of the Coupons are red port. + bat off. So, identifying the variety of backs which display essentially identical fronts, appears to require individual comparisons. Complimenting this cxonsideration, there appears to be differences of opinion regarding the range of t206 backs which exist. For example, the link cited by Brian specifies 32 different backs, while other intrepretations (such as that in the Sak's page) show 40 different backs.

I therefore conclude that an assembly of a collection such as proposed in this thread involves much personal intrepretation and preference. It could be quite interesting to pursue, given infinate time and unlimited funds.