NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Wagner & Plank Backs

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Darn-just fragged my original post......

I am trying to get the Wagner and Plank backs squared away in my mind. If I am reading the threads and the extant hobby literature correctly, then the Piedmont 150 Wagner's are all hand cut examples (two known, I think not counting the Cobb/Edwards phony but including the Gretzky/McNall and the raw one sold by Mastronet in Novemebr 2001). Is that right? The raw Mastronet Wagner looks diamond cut but I can't tell from the scan I found if it's handcut although the bottom sure looks wavy. I'll keep my tongue firmly in my cheek regarding the Gretzky/McNall card....

Now Plank-his Piedmont 150's should all be factory cut I believe but his Sweet Cap 350 is hand cut? Is there only the one known Sweet Cap 350 Plank (the Sevchuk Plank purportedly on the sheet with the Gretzky Wagner)? If you veteran T206 guys can opine, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I will leave the Gretzky Wagner alone, but there is another Piedmont Wagner that does not appear to be factory cut. It appears to be a scrap, larger than normal and with a light overprint of an upside down player on the front. I believe those are the only two Piedmont Wagners.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

DAVE H

I am not sure I fully understand what you are getting at. Anyhow, here is my understanding
of the confirmed backs of these two T206 cards.

PLANK

Piedmont 150....only two are know (one is a "ghostly" looking proof card)
Sweet Caporal 150 Fac. 25....up to 50 exist
Sweet Caporal 350 Fac. 30....up to 50 exist

WAGNER

Piedmont 150....very few found
Sweet Caporal 150 Fac. 25....majority found have this back

TED Z

Old 04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

It looks like there are three Piedmont Wagners: the Gretzky, the other one sold by Mastro in 2001 and the one David Rudd just mentioned (Scrap version). Here's the link to the "other" Mastro one:

http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_24.html

Ted, I was mixing up the Plank Piedmont 150 and Sweet Cap 350 as to which was purportedly on the sheet with the Gretzky Wagner. I did not realize there were that many Sweet Cap 350 Planks. I'm trying to determine if all the known Wagner and Plank Piedmont backs are handcut, or at least probably not distributed in packs. It certainly seems likely.

I am looking forward to the book on the Wagner card, already per-ordered mine.

Dave