NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default Board member on fox news last night ??? very O/T

Posted By: ScottIngold

Was that you Jeff ?

edited title....

Old 10-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Yup, that was me. Jeez, am I getting fat.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

What was it about?
JimB

Old 10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I believe the Lynn Stewart case.

She of the 93 bombing defense fame.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that was it. I had mixed feelings about the whole thing, not sure if it was apparent on TV.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

It was.

Not the usual defense stuff that us non lawyers usually hate.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Didn't see it, and although she got a very light sentence, two plus years for a woman in not such great health is no picnic either. Not sure what my opinion on this case is either, as it seems she did both good and bad things during her career.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I saw a little bit of that but didn't see our own Jeff out there. I am sort of undecided but if she helped terrorists, like it looks like she did, then I have very little sympathy. I don't know the whole story though....

Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Hey Jeff - Just curious if Abdel Rahman has tried to ask you to pass on any coded messages to his buddies? (i.e. Tell Ty Cobb to get his T206 and attack the N172)

Rob M.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The intention of this thread was a litmus test to see who watches Fox News
and who doesn't. Come on, no one was surprised to see Leon saw the show and
Barry didn't.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Clever observation David. Now you know how we will vote this election day.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Due to all the lawyers on board, I was thinking this was an early screening
for Supreme Court Justice.

The follow up question was to be, "What flavor was your cappuccino while watching Keith Olbermann?"

Old 10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

David
Isn't he that crazy lib ?

O'Reilly guy's drink coffee.... not that foreign stuff.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Rahman isn't a baseball fan, he prefers football instead (he loves to see the bomb thrown); therefore, I could never represent him.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

O'Reilly's audience HAS to drink coffee so they don't fall asleep in front of the tv in tha lounge in the nursing home.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Obviously Scott's quote was tongue in cheek, but it is worth pointing out that
most US coffee is imported, whether it's used to make a frothy mocha or a greasy
spoon drip. I don't care what party one belongs to, few are eager to drink a cup
made from beans picked from the hills of Jersey City.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks David.

Hence the

Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Adam, don't kid yourself-O'Reilly is the highest rated cable talk show, period, in like every demographic. More young people watch him, by far, than anyone else.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Jeff,

I was sure you were joking, but my search for a smiley face emoticon in your post has, like Al Capone's vaults, shockingly turned up nothing. This left me a bit concerned for the future of our nation, so I was hoping you could clarify what qualifies as "young people" today?

If "young people" are really watching O'Reilly, I would suggest that perhpas the most likely scenario would be that a marijuana-induced remote control malfunction has left their television on Fox when they were searching for The Colbert Report and they were too stoned to realize that Stephen Colbert wears glasses. Maybe they were watching the playoffs on Fox, then switched to Comedy Central, then accidentaly hit the "last channel" button without realizing it. I can definitely see the appeal of watching Bill O'Reilly if you think his show is tongue-in-cheek political satire dripping with yummy irony. Especially if you're high! Doritos and Bill O'Reilly: Curing the munchies of America's youth since 1996!

But really, I think you're probably just taking a jab at Olbermann, so I hereby pronounce you today's net54 Worst...Person...In The World!

-Ryan

P.S. Insert smiley face somewhere above. Wherever would offend you the least.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Ryan- I'm with you. If more young people watch O'Reilly is that a feather in O'Reilly's cap or a condemnation of how conservative America's youth are? When I was young I would have used an 8" x 10" of O'Reilly to roll joints on, and have a few good laughs along the way.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 AM
Administrator

O'Reilly's allright in my book.

I think his value's are what we need in this country at this point in our history.

I guess i'm not a young'en anymore but his value's and thoughts on where our country needs to go ring very true for someone like me.
( White married male w/2 children and a buisness to protect)

Am i in the minority ? I can't believe that.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Administrator

No Scott, you are probably in the majority, and that is what is so disheartenening to me. Where is all the moral outrage that we felt growing up during the Viet Nam war? Don't want to get too carried away, as I know Leon does not like these political threads. But I need to rave and rant every once in a while to get it out of my system.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

SCOTT

Your in the majority.....I watch O'Reilly (sometimes I agree with him and other times
I don't); but, in any event about 2 MILLIOM viewers watch him every nite.
And, my 20-year old Grandson prefers FOX to the other lesser news stations.

Jeff is correct that a large number of young people are getting their news from FOX
or the Internet.....as opposed to the "Old Media".

So RYAN, I do not appreciate your uninformed comments. You can't be serious, man ?

On that M(ost) S(enseless) NBC channel, that "liberal weenie" Keith Olberman is lucky
if he gets 200,000 viewers.

Hey RYAN, do the math.....that's a factor of 10-1.....so, who suddenly made you the "judge"
of Net54....of who is deemed "good" and who is the "worst" ? ? ? ?

I have never met Jeff Lichtman and I do not know him; other than reading his posts on
this Forum. And, I like what I read from him.

What is with you guys ? Do we need to run a SURVEY to see who favors the FOX news
network vs. the C(ommunist)NN ? We don't need that kind of "crap" on this Forum.
I tune into this site to be educated and to contribute regarding VINTAGE BB cards,
or chat about BB in general.....not someone's political "B.....S".

T-Rex TED

Old 10-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

We need more people with the values and concerns of Lou Dobbs, not Biull O'Reilly.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

While I am squarely in the Adam/Barry/Ryan camp, I would make the point that my beef with O'Reilly and Olbermann, as well as most other commentators, is that they present complicated issues in too simplistic terms. Most of the tough issues we face have at least two arguable sides but such a presentation typically lacks drama and fails to instill passions. I think we would all be better off if there were some tv commentators who both educate and entertain in an even-handed manner. Ted Koppel's former Nightline show comes to mind, although perhaps not everyone would agree. Mark

Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Ryan, I'm trying to find something in my posts here that indicate that I either like O'Reilly's show, like him or support any of his positions. All I reported was his show's demographics. Alas, I cannot - but that didn't stop you from jumping to conclusions about me. I had taken a neutral political position on the Stewart case when I was on - that she belonged in jail (unlike most liberal thinking), just not a de-facto life sentence (unlike most conservatives). I also supported O'Reilly's position that the country has gotten way too negative when it comes to political criticism. After the show was over, I only received one death threat from someone who presumed I was a lefty (even though my comments implied no political leanings at all). I'm simply amazed at how angry people are in this country - both liberal and conservative - which causes them to not think clearly sometimes. I think it's bad for our country, period, regardless of one's political affiliation.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Everyday I'm pleased with my decision to leave both the Republicans and Democrats behind. Neither of them represent my values and the "shouting heads" programs are like political junk food, lots of rhetoric, little substance. My life is actually more informed, and more happy with out the CNN's, Washington Posts, and Fox News' of the world.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Jeff- I think you made a very good point and we even prove it on this board- that the country is very split and likewise very angry. The Nov 7 elections should be a good indicator of just how outraged people may or may not be. And you really got a death threat? There are so many nuts out there. And Ted, while you are free to dislike the way Keith delivers the news, calling him a Communist is hitting below the belt. That's just an old schoolyard ruse that doesn't hold much water. But we're still friends. I take it back, you called the network, not Keith, Communist. My error, but same sentiment.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

And....NO Where did I refer to KO as a "commie"....just a "liberal weenie"....there is a difference !

Old 10-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Ted- you are right, I did misread your post. But "liberal weenie", that's actually a funny term. I guess I'm one of those too, but I've been called worse.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

And may I add (as I think to myself) that I try to be very careful who I discuss political matters with. I tend to be more conservative, but most of my friends are democrats, and when we approach issues, we always make ground rules. Terms like "liberal", don't really describe anything, and mean different things to different folks. What my friends and I have agreed on is that the art of civil debate is long lost in this country. Our media is so catered to our niche and interest, that if we don't want to, we don't have to think outside of the box; creating lazy mindsets and lazy politics.

James (The Christian, anti-Christian-coalition, anti-neo-con, anti-war, anti-death penalty (except for terrorists) Conservative)

Old 10-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K

I'm sorry, there is no way I can watch O'Reilly after hearing that nasty phone sex tape; where his co-worker sued him. The mental image of that whacko is burned into my brain.

Give me Jon Stewart every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 10-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Ted,

Glad to hear you're an objective critical thinker when watching O'Reilly ("sometimes I agree with him and other times I don't") just when I thought O'Reilly was like a preacher and his viewers, the choir. Although the tone of your entire post does smell a little choirish. You obviously didn't get the "worst person in the world" joke if you think I am playing Net54 judge. Still, I'd be interested to hear what information in my post I am "uninformed" about. Would you mind specifically addressing the factual inaccuracies in my post? If possible, please do so in a way that sounds less like Zell Miller than your last post. Thanks.

Jeff,

I didn't mean to imply I was drawing any personal conclusions about you, other than assuming you may have been taking a jab at Olbermann. If that was not true, I apologize. I even offered an olive branch in the form of a smiley face at the bottom of my post, although I still refuse to use the actual emoticon. And where did I say anything about you liking, not liking, or agreeing with O'Reilly? I wasn't challenging (and don't care about) your political views, nor those of other board members. All I was, and still am challenging is your statement about young people. I would still like an answer as to what you are defining as "young people."

Incidentally, I agree with you on the predicament the country finds itself in, with the anger people feel on all political sides often suspending their capacity for rational thought. It's exactly this kind of emotional vulnerability that makes people susceptible to propaganda, in all its forms. I can generally distill a decent idea of the truth from whatever news source it comes from because I have an understading that each particular media outlet will have their own particular bias. In fact, it's often useful to hear the same story reported several times, each with a different bias. My concern is that most "young people" might have a harder time not believing what they are shown on television. This is where a show like O'Reilly's could dangerous. Not because of what he believes in or says. Like him or not, no one's going to say he's an unbiased reporter of the truth, right? At least, not with a straight face. I don't care what people believe, I would jsut hope they had a chance to develop their beliefs on their own, because they actually believe them, not because of some unquestioned loyalty to their family's views or vague idea of political correctness or whatever else. Really, all I am raling against is intellectual laziness.

Believe me, I fully realize where the great majority of this board falls along political lines. I completely understand that most board members will view me as ignorant for saying these things. I am not blind to that and it doesn't bother me. We are a unique group on this board and there are many differences between us, but it's important to remember that we are not a microcosm of the country. Let's not pretend we're a diverse group here.

-Ryan

Old 10-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nobody should be looking to Bill O'Reilly as their moral compass. Unless sexual harassment, lying and bullying are all okay with them.

And anyone claiming FOX news to be unbiased and fair and balanced really needs a reality check....just a quick check with them this morning and I can see they are on full alert scary mode running with the NFL Dirty bomb story which even the federal government says is baseless, but hey gotta scare up them votes somehow....

Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Dan- you know the tactic: only Republicans can save us from terrorism; if the Democrats come back into power, they'll be welcoming the terrorists into the country with open arms. I am amazed that that tactic has actually worked and has been so successful. Why do people actually believe it?

Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Duly note that I've seen no more than five minutes of either show, and don't
offer my political views on this board, so my earlier comments were strictly
jokes-- except the part about no one wanting to drink coffee from Jersey City.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Barry,

Who believes it? Most real conservatives don't buy it, many die-hard Republicans are admitting Iraq is a failure, Republican political candidates want nothing to do with Bush, who believes it now?

Old 10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

I don't believe it, but I think the voters have been scared into believing it. But if they no longer do, Nov 7 should be interesting.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Let's see, the so called conservatives turned a budget surplus into the largest deficit this country has ever seen. Pork barrell spending is at its zenith and Bush has never used his Veto power once to strike any of it down. So far 8 Republicans have been either indicted or plead guilty in the Abramoff scandal for taking bribes, Denny Hastert looked the other way when a Republican member of congress was showing a little too much interest in underage pages. Tom Delay is under indictment for money laundering. Bill Frist under investigation for insider trading....not to mention his creepy admission to dissecting cats in his apartment when he was in college...oh and don't forget how he diagnosed Terry Schaivo from watching a videotape.

And I didn't even mention the federal government's embarassing response to Katrina, wiretapping Americans, destroying Habeas Corpus and the wishy washy attempts to claim they are protecting Americans while at the same time doing nothing to secure either the Mexican or Canadian border and outsourcing our port security to a company in Dubai - a country that supports the Taliban.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Dan, you've got my vote.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Neither party will have enough votes to do anything after November 7th. I can't wait.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

"only Republicans can save us from terrorism; if the Democrats come back into power, they'll be welcoming the terrorists into the country with open arms."

Unfortunatlly Barry i do believe this. I don't know how people can see how the mid to late 90's philosophy of nonretaliation can be seen as the road to take.

As for O'Reilly. Like Ted there are time's i agree and time's i don't. But i do believe he is trying to do good and show how important it is for us as a country to have some sort of value system to follow. (Moral compass) ? I guess is a good phase.

Where these sex charge's ever proven ? Not sure i heard that.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Administrator

O'Reilly gave Andrea Mackris anywhere from 2-10 million dollars to drop her lawsuit. Innocent people don't settle for 2-10 million dollars if the charges are false. She had him on tape doing some pretty disgusting things. I'm pretty sure O'Reilly has singlhandedly destroyed the falafel industry.

How's that for morality?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

I just pulled this up on CBS news.

"O'Reilly lawyer Ronald Green had said he believed there were tapes of conversations between the two and asked a court to compel Mackris to produce them so they could be played publicly."

Not sure thats a sign of guilt either.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Scott- back in the late 90's, 9/11 hadn't happened yet. Now the stakes are ratcheted up and if the Democrats get back in the driver's seat they better be ever more vigilant. I think they know that but we shall see. If not, we might as well sell our baseball cards now before we are all turned back into dust.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

when this Board gets back on track.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Scott, how did Ronald Reagan retaliate against Hezbolloh for killing 200+ American soldiers in Beirut?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

FOX, let's not forget that those long-playing favorites like NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC all have slants on the news too and while it's definitely off center it ain't to the right. And while you're perusing the halls of Congress Dan, there's a skeleton or two in a few dozen of the Democrats closets. Always the other guy..........

Speaking of morality....hmmm....who was that guy named....Clinton?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

how did Ronald Reagan retaliate against Hezbolloh for killing 200+ American soldiers in Beirut?

By knocking off Grenada.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Steve- if you read my last post I did use the term "baseball cards". Doesn't that count as getting back on track?