NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Weirdest PSA 4 (and recently graded nonetheless)

r.jpg

I remember talking to the owner (not sure its the same guy that now has it) and he even told me that the surface looked as if a truck had rolled over it and left some black tire marks or some kid went crazy with a black eraser!

Clearly there is a bunch of junk on the surface of this card. I'm baffled as to how this did not get a MK designation or a lower grade?!?!?!?!?

Does the look of this iconic card give anyone else the "willies". Or is it just me?

Peace, Mike

PS Sorry for stealing this image from another thread but just look at the difference in these two (4s). I would say there is really no comparison. The Mikan looks a bit weak compared to this beauty!

attachment.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 03-20-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:47 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Nice 4 on the bottom card thats for sure.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 03-21-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:28 AM

Another example of why you can't just price a card based on the grade. And i think there obviously should be a (mk) qualifier. I like to think it's a newly hired grader when I see examples like this, but I'm probably being naive.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Steve A

I would guess Mikan is a 6MK that the submitter requested no qualifiers.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_a View Post

I think this is the misinterpreted thought when people get the notion that Psa docks two grades from a card if you ask for no qualifiers. I believe the two grade dock only applies to off center and possibly miscut cards. This false interpretation is why a lot of people know to ask for the qualifier on a card with a mark because a Psa 6(mk) slab probably looks better and should sell higher than a card with no qualifier that is correctly graded in a 1.5 slab. The two grade dock for qualifiers is a loose guideline, but doesn't apply necessarily to cards with ink or eraser marks.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_a View Post
I think a 6 is too high of a grade even with the MK designation. Does anyone think this card should have a MC designation as well?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Mk/mc

Yes to MK but no on MC.

Here is another big problem. Sometimes when you see MK, it is tough to actually find the MK on the card. Stamps and writing are obvious but I've seen MK designated and spent some time looking.

There should be a factor within the MK as to severity. This PSA 4 has SEVERE MK and I think it is blatantly obvious. If this card had a slight roller mark or someone's initials on the back then those should also be weighed based on "eye appeal".

I stand by my initial point. This is not a 4 by any standards. It is a 2 or a 3 on the best of days, maybe even a 1? It looks like someone took a piece of charcoal and smeared the front of the card.

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 03-21-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Actually this was MY card and I got it graded. It was raw and no I dont believe you spoke with me. The marks on the card were more of a wet transfer mark and not an addition. There was no request to not have a qualifier. So squash that theory.

I sold the card and know it has changed hands twice already. For the record, SGC graded this a 1 which was not very accurate which is why it was resubmitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by ezez420; 04-11-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:32 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
Actually this was MY card and I got it graded. It was raw and no I dont believe you spoke with me. The marks on the card were more of a wet transfer mark and not an addition. There was no request to not have a qualifier. So squash that theory.

I sold the card and know it has changed hands twice already. For the record, SGC graded this a 1 which was not very accurate which is why it was resubmitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm more apt to believe the SGC 1 than the PSA 4. Sorry, but SGC got it right, PSA blew it.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:31 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm more apt to believe the SGC 1 than the PSA 4. Sorry, but SGC got it right, PSA blew it.
+1. There are marks and there are MARKS. This one is a MARK.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
+1. There are marks and there are MARKS. This one is a MARK.
Agreed. Card shouldn't be in a 4 holder. It hurts other 4s like the one below it. SGC was closer than PSA but I might give it a 1.5 (on a good day). To me, a 4 is laughable. And that bottom left corner should make it where it would never get a 6, mark or no mark. I don't think its miss cut.