NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Fred

Default Harperless Nats make it to the WS

Wow, the Nats let Harper go and the next thing you know - HELLO World Series! It's not a knock on Harper more than it was just bad timing for Harper.

Think Ray Kroc (former owner of the Padres). He bought the team in 1974 and they were really not that good for the 10 years he owned them. In the 10 years he owned the Padres, they only finished over .500 ONE time. Then poor Ray passes away in early 1984 and guess what happens? The Padres are in the World Series in 1984. At least he didn't have to watch them lose the series....

Any other fun stories of players/owners/managers leaving a team and then the team hit's the jack pot of a WS the year they left?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Stefan

I personally think the reason they hadn’t previously made it WAS Harper. IMO, he doesn’t seem much like a Team Player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 12:23 PM

People still say there's a Mattingly curse. He retired in 1995 and the Yankees won it all in 1996. He left the Yankees coaching staff in 2008 to go to LA with Torre and the Yankees won again in 2009 under Girardi. He then left the Dodgers prior to the 2016 season only to see the Dodgers in the World Series in 2017.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Ray Kroc though. He caught a much better break than winning a Series in his lifetime.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Any other fun stories of players/owners/managers leaving a team and then the team hit's the jack pot of a WS the year they left?
Logan Mankins was drafted by the Patriots a couple months after they won Super Bowl XXXVIII, and was traded due to a contract dispute just before training camp for the 2014 season started; that year New England went on to beat Seattle. Also, Wes Welker went a combined 0-3 in Super Bowls with New England and Denver. Those two teams are 4-1 since he left.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Marcos

Default Verlander and Scherzer

I’m sure watercooler discussion continues in Detroit about letting Verlander get away in 2017 — and him subsequently helping the Astros win the World Series. And now, although a few years later, Scherzer makes it to the WS. Sheesh.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:10 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
People still say there's a Mattingly curse. He retired in 1995 and the Yankees won it all in 1996. He left the Yankees coaching staff in 2008 to go to LA with Torre and the Yankees won again in 2009 under Girardi. He then left the Dodgers prior to the 2016 season only to see the Dodgers in the World Series in 2017.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Ray Kroc though. He caught a much better break than winning a Series in his lifetime.
Can the Yankee Captain come to Milwaukee next?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:24 AM
Bill Gregory

I will go on record as saying that I am pulling for the Nats. Yes, they ended our season, but I think it's neat that a franchise that has never won it all (going back to their days in Montreal) has a good chance to do just that, up 2-0 now. And I have to admit I like a lot of the guys on that team. I'd love to see Max Scherzer get a ring. That's the only thing his Hall of Fame career is really missing.

I hope this will exercise some of the ghosts of 1994 for the franchise.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 AM

The Mariners lost Arod and Randy Johnson
In back to back years and then won 116 games.

They did not make the World Series however
Old 10-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Bill Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
The Mariners lost Arod and Randy Johnson
In back to back years and then won 116 games.

They did not make the World Series however
Don't forget they also lost Griffey in between those two, and with all three on the team they still couldn't get a World Series.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Don't forget they also lost Griffey in between those two, and with all three on the team they still couldn't get a World Series.
Completely forgot about Griffey. Wow.

Griffey, Arod, Johnson, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Jamie Moyer.

Lots of star power, not so good results.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:58 AM
Rick

It'll make teams think twice about signing high end free agents and the impact they'll have.