NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Runs Produced Index (RPI) indicative of a players value to a winning team

I have no idea if this subject has been talked about before....so, here I go.

Back in the 1970's I was the Manager/player of our workplace Softball team. I named our team the "DingBats" (of Archie Bunker fame). It was apropo, for when I joined this team
it was in last place in our Division. Dealing with Bell Labs Engineers, Scientists, and Management types was a big challenge for me out there on the ball field. We loved to play the
game. And all of us wanted to be winners.
So, how did I get this team from the bottom to 1st place in our Division that first year of my leadership ? From the data on my scorecard, I developed a statistic which I refer to as
RUNS PRODUCED INDEX (RPI). I applied this stat in order to determine who was going to be the starting players in each game of our 14-game schedule that season.
Sure, I was confronted by those I didn't start with...."why aren't you playing me today ?" Or...."my BA is over .300, but you're benching me", etc. Eventually, every one got to play.
I'll tell you I took this stat seriously, so by playing the guys who showed a tendency to produce the most RUNS in a given game worked beautifully. The DingBats won the 1st place
trophy from 1975 to 1980, consecutively. So, here is my simple formula for the RPI factor......

RPI = actual At Bats / Runs + RBI - HR

If you do the math, both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig have an RPI factor of 2.8 to 2.9 (obviously, the lower this number is, the more productive the hitter is).

Therefore, they produce a RUN for every 2.85 times At Bat. And, I think they may be the Major League leaders in this stat.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 10-13-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I have no idea if this subject has been talked about before....so, here I go.

Back in the 1970's I was the Manager/player of our workplace Softball team. I named our team the "DingBats" (of Archie Bunker fame). It was apropo, for when I joined this team
it was in last place in our Division. Dealing with Bell Labs Engineers, Scientists, and Management types was a big challenge for me out there on the ball field. We loved to play the
game. And, most of all, we wanted to be winners.
So, how did I get this team from the bottom to 1st place in our Division that first year of my leadership ? From the data on my scorecard, I developed a statistic which I refer to as
RUNS PRODUCED INDEX (RPI). I applied this stat to determine who were the starting players each game of our 14-game schedule that season. Sure, I was confronted with...."why
aren't you playing me today ?" Or...."my BA is over .300, but you're benching me"....etc., etc.
I'll tell you I took this stat seriously, so by playing the guys who showed a tendency to produce the most RUNS in a given game worked beautifully. The DingBats won the 1st place
trophy from 1975 to 1980. So, here is my simple formula for the RPI factor......

RPI = actual At Bats / Runs + RBI - HR

If you do the math, both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig have an RPI factor of 2.8 to 2.9 (obviously, the lower this number is, the more productive the hitter is).

Therefore, they produce a RUN for every 2.85 times At Bat. And, I think they may be the Major League leaders in this stat.

TED Z

T206 Reference
That's pretty interesting.

I'm puzzled that it actually works, mostly because to score runs someone hitting after you has to hit well.
And to have RBI, the person ahead of you has to hit well.

Maybe it's more of an indicator of how someone bats in a lineup. I know I batted differently if the bases were empty than if there were runners on.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Runs Produced Index indicative of a players value to a winning team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's pretty interesting.

I'm puzzled that it actually works, mostly because to score runs someone hitting after you has to hit well.
And to have RBI, the person ahead of you has to hit well.

Maybe it's more of an indicator of how someone bats in a lineup. I know I batted differently if the bases were empty than if there were runners on.

Hi Steve

First, let me state that this RPI strategy was not the only factor in my team's successive 6-year success. However, it was an important factor. Of the 10 players that I had as regulars
in the line-up, 5 (or 6) of them were amazingly great at scoring or driving in RUNS.

Of course there were a number of other strategies I employed to win games with. I was tough on these guys (they referred to me as "Billy Martin" of our Softball League). Especially,
if the opposing team had a fast-ball pitcher. I would have my guys laying off swinging at first pitches, be deliberate at the plate which would usually affect that pitcher's timing, etc.

Those were really fun days back then.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Sounds like the Moneyball movie.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 AM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Sounds like the Moneyball movie.
This is what I was thinking. Ted was using analytics decades before MLB did. Groundbreaking ideas. To do it without a computer (I assume) is what's really amazing. "Beautiful mind" stuff.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Bill James got the Runs Created formula from Ted.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Runs Produced Index (RPI) indicative of a players value to a winning team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
This is what I was thinking. Ted was using analytics decades before MLB did. Groundbreaking ideas. To do it without a computer (I assume) is what's really amazing. "Beautiful mind" stuff.

Hi Jack

I'm overwhelmed by your complimentary words. I really appreciate them. We were in a very competitive Softball league composed of a mix of medium-fast & fast pitch.
And, in order to compete, I would utilize whatever game plan I felt would win. Our division was composed of 8 teams. We played each one of them twice every season.

Each team required a different strategy to beat them, but the one constant winning formula was my RPI. And, you are correct, I did it without the benefit of a computer.
Our best season was 1977 when we won 13 games and lost only one.

Oh, and the "icing on the cake" back then was after each game, when we all met at our favorite watering-hole....The Red Roof in Holmdel, NJ.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Cool stuff, Ted. I've seen the Runs Produced stat, which is basically the denominator part of your stat (R+RBI-HR) without the at bats figured in. Factoring in at bats like you did would favor players who produced a lot of R and RBI without a lot of at bats or without a lot of Home Runs. I looked at the top 20 or so in Runs Produced and re-ranked them using your stat and came up with the below top 10:

Ruth
Gehrig
Williams
Anson
Foxx
Cobb
Bonds
Ott
Speaker
A-Rod

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 10-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
Cool stuff, Ted. I've seen the Runs Produced stat, which is basically the denominator part of your stat (R+RBI-HR) without the at bats figured in. Factoring in at bats like you did would favor players who produced a lot of R and RBI without a lot of at bats or without a lot of Home Runs. I looked at the top 20 or so in Runs Produced and re-ranked them using your stat and came up with the below top 10:

Ruth
Gehrig
Williams
Anson
Foxx
Cobb
Bonds
Ott
Speaker
A-Rod

Hi Rich

Thanks for your post, and taking the time in computing the ML leaders of this stat....and posting the top 10.

As I noted in my first post here, I figured Ruth and Gehrig were most likely the top leaders in the RPI factor.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Brian

Hi, the first thing that popped into my head while reading this was, how many guys did you have on your team? Usually men's leagues have just enough players to field a team, or maybe one extra guy. Weren't all the guys going to be playing regardless?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Brian

The Bell Labs facility we worked at had 2000+ employees. There were 4 Softball fields on the property. Our team roster consisted of 20 guys.
Twenty was the League limit. And, once we became a winning team, every one wanted to join the DingBats.

Furthermore, 20 was a good number, because at any given week, as many as 5 guys could be away on business trips.

Our Softball League had 3 divisions.....

"A" division (4 teams) was the super-fast pitch guys

"B" division (8 teams) was a mix of medium-fast to fast pitch guys (our division)

"C" division (6 teams) was the slow pitch guys

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 10-15-2019, 08:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Hi Brian

The Bell Labs facility we worked at had 2000+ employees. There were 4 Softball fields on the property. Our team roster consisted of 20 guys.
Twenty was the League limit. And, once we became a winning team, every one wanted to join the DingBats.

Furthermore, 20 was a good number, because at any given week, as many as 5 guys could be away on business trips.

"B" division (8 teams) was a mix of medium-fast to fast pitch guys (our division)

TED Z

T206 Reference
That's got me curious.

Was it fast pitch just with pitchers who weren't all that fast? Or What I played that was called "modified pitch" - No windmill deliveries like fast pitch, and also nothing above I think 6 feet of arc where slow pitch starts.

It's a fun game, more like baseball than the others. We had a fairly quick pitcher who could get into probably the 50's when he was trying. But we also had old guys in the infield and younger quick guys in the outfield so our "strategy" was to sort of lob it in and let the fast kids chase it down.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Brian

Quote:
Hi Brian

TED Z

T206 Reference

Sounds like a nice venture....and by the way you talk about it, it left a lasting impression on you. Thats pretty cool.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 10-16-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricNewspapers View Post
Sounds like a nice venture....and by the way you talk about it, it left a lasting impression on you. Thats pretty cool.

Hi Brian

Our Laboratory was developing new Hi-speed series of Modems. We put in many overtime hours. So, once a week going out to the ball field
and playing some serious Softball was great relief....and, a lot of fun.
When we Won 13 games (Lost only 1) in 1977, our Softball League voted to upgrade us into the "A" division. The guys were all excited over
this move. I was NOT ! I asked my team members if...… "they enjoyed being 1st place winners and getting trophies each year ?"
I insisted that we stay where we are. After some thought, and a beer (or two) at the Red Roof, the majority of guys agreed with me.

The 2nd place team in 1977 (the Yannigans) were switched to the "A" division (super-fast pitch). In 1978, the Yannigans had a 0-12 record.
And, we continued to lead the "B" division.

Check-out my "GOLDEN GLOVE" award (from my team) in this photo (on the shelf next to my left shoulder)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 10-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Fred

Quote:
Hi Brian

Our Laboratory was developing new Hi-speed series of Modems. We put in many overtime hours. So, once a week going out to the ball field
and playing some serious Softball was great relief....and, a lot of fun.
When we Won 13 games (Lost only 1) in 1977, our Softball League voted to upgrade us into the "A" division. The guys were all excited over
this move. I was NOT ! I asked my team members if...… "they enjoyed being 1st place winners and getting trophies each year ?"
I insisted that we stay where we are. After some thought, and a beer (or two) at the Red Roof, the majority of guys agreed with me.

The 2nd place team in 1977 (the Yannigans) were switched to the "A" division (super-fast pitch). In 1978, the Yannigans had a 0-12 record.
And, we continued to lead the "B" division.

Check-out my "GOLDEN GLOVE" award (from my team) in this photo (on the shelf next to my left shoulder)

TED Z

T206 Reference

Ted,

I have to ask - how fast were those modems back then?

Last edited by Fred; 10-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ted,

I have to ask - how fast were those modems back then?
Hi Fred

How fast you ask ?

Data transmission over the DDD (regular analog voiceband) two-wire lines was 9.6 Kilobits/sec.

Data transmission over Private lines 64 Kilobits/sec (and on specially conditioned lines, 128 Kilobits/sec.).

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 10-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice confirmation. Interesting stuff. Ted is a human calculator .

Quote:
Hi Rich

Thanks for your post, and taking the time in computing the ML leaders of this stat....and posting the top 10.

As I noted in my first post here, I figured Ruth and Gehrig were most likely the top leaders in the RPI factor.

TED Z

T206 Reference