NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Strange AH occurrence

Just curious if anyone else has run into a scenario I recently experienced: I went to bed as the high bidder on a lot at $1075 (which was my max bid). The next morning I woke up, did not see any 'outbid' emails, so I checked the item page and the winning bid (with the juice) was in the $1,880's (I forget the exact dollar amount) - 4 bid increments above my max bid. So I lost.

That evening I got an email congratulating me on my winning bids, so I logged in to my account and found that I had indeed won the item for $1,075 + juice. Kind of confusing. Scott the cynic might think that there was some shill bidding going on, and that it was a damned good thing I stopped at $1075, and because I was asleep, didn't get tempted to fight with the four additional bids that would have ran my cost up. Scott the believer that all humans are wonderful and good has no idea what might have happened.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-08-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Just curious if anyone else has run into a scenario I recently experienced: I went to bed as the high bidder on a lot at $1075 (which was my max bid). The next morning I woke up, did not see any 'outbid' emails, so I checked the item page and the winning bid (with the juice) was in the $1,880's (I forget the exact dollar amount) - 4 bid increments above my max bid. So I lost.

That evening I got an email congratulating me on my winning bids, so I logged in to my account and found that I had indeed won the item for $1,075 + juice. Kind of confusing. Scott the cynic might think that there was some shill bidding going on, and that it was a damned good thing I stopped at $1075, and because I was asleep, didn't get tempted to fight with the four additional bids that would have ran my cost up. Scott the believer that all humans are wonderful and good has no idea what might have happened.
That's strange. I would call and ask about it.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:14 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Yup I bet ur right Scot they overbid as a shill then when they out bid you and no further higher bids were placed they cancelled. Is there anyway to see if you had cancelled bids above you?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

If I was in your shoes I would not pay your designated ceiling amount, since it sounds like without the missing bids, you stood a good chance of winning the item for less money.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM
pete ullman

i might have missed something, scott...which AH did u say this was????
Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Yup I bet ur right Scot they overbid as a shill then when they out bid you and no further higher bids were placed they cancelled. Is there anyway to see if you had cancelled bids above you?
Not to defend the AH, per se, but even if they WERE shilling, why would they shill 4 bids beyond Scott's. I would think one would have been enough.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Probably just a mistake, if the house or a shill had really outbid you, presumably you would have received an email to that effect. Indeed if you assume bad intent the house would WANT you to know you had been outbid so you would come back to bid again.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:45 PM

If it's Fusco, their bidding platform is an absentee platform and they run a live auction.

Edited for bad grammar.

Last edited by Sean1125; 12-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i might have missed something, scott...which AH did u say this was????
I haven't edited my original post - it's quite clear that I did not post an AH name. If I had proof, I might do so. The question was whether or not any of the rest of you had experienced the same thing I did. That question has been answered by one person, privately via email. I have had it happen at least once before, and like this time, I thought I was going blind and that the mistake was mine.

However; I was high bidder on only one lot, and I wanted to win it at my final bid. So when I woke up in the morning and checked the item page to see if I had won, it's highly unlikely that I accidentally read a final value of $1889 rather than the bid that I actually won it at. That makes no sense.

Regarding the comment that shilling four bids is illogical, I would agree if there was a shiller patiently sitting on each lot, ready to place another bid as soon as I bid again; however, it would be more efficient to place one reasonable bid that might be one or even four increments higher that mine.

Regarding the comment that it would make the most sense to send an email telling me that I had been outbid, that would be true if the shiller was fairly sure that I would come back with another bid, or if they didn't mind winning the lot since my bid was ridiculously low; however, that would leave a documentation trail and prevent retraction of bids when it turned out that I had actually gone to sleep.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Probably just a mistake, if the house or a shill had really outbid you, presumably you would have received an email to that effect. Indeed if you assume bad intent the house would WANT you to know you had been outbid so you would come back to bid again.
Peter, I'm not sure what happened, which is why I asked the question. I have never had a problem with this particular auction house, so I will assume, as weird as it might be, that I cannot read numbers correctly early in the morning.

But first thing that morning I did look for the 'outbid' email, and seeing none, excitedly went to the auction item page. Misreading a number at that point would have probably required mushrooms. Is it possible that shilling by AH's is advanced enough that when they do so, the 'outbid' email doesn't go out until they see some activity by the bidder? Just to keep the paper trail flexible? I don't know; however, shilling increases profit by enough that it makes sense.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:57 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

One of the auction houses has a rules sheet that includes language to the extent that: "We reserve the right to make bids up to the amount of the hidden reserve..." or some such. It's possible that this was occurring, and when no additional bids were made, they contacted the consignor and asked whether he/she would reduce the reserve to the current highest actual bid. When that happened, they killed all four bid increments, and you were left as the high bidder.

It's also possible that for some reason, you were outbid by an actual bidder, however he sent the auctionhouse a message saying that he intended to bid on a different lot or didn't realize he couldn't pay with Monopoly tender, and the auctionhouse retracted them. However, I would hope they would contact you and explain the situation. That's one reason I don't really like the blind bidding process many of these auctionhouses seem to have. At least with eBay you get a sliver of a screenname (6*****a) that you can see is an actual bidder, or whether you're bidding against one person or 30.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i had a AH with a different outcome....The site Iconic said i won the item, tho my email said i got outbidded...So i had contacted them...they said there was a bid that didnt process (by using some other bidding function they had)
Old 12-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Bob C.

In response to Sean's comment, I don't think it would be Fusco's action. That was this past Saturday and I was there at the auction. It was over by about 6:45 PM, Eastern time. I thought Scott said he went to bed with the high bid at $1,075. Unless he goes to bed real early, I doubt it was Fusco's.

BobC
Old 12-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Peter, I'm not sure what happened, which is why I asked the question. I have never had a problem with this particular auction house, so I will assume, as weird as it might be, that I cannot read numbers correctly early in the morning.

But first thing that morning I did look for the 'outbid' email, and seeing none, excitedly went to the auction item page. Misreading a number at that point would have probably required mushrooms. Is it possible that shilling by AH's is advanced enough that when they do so, the 'outbid' email doesn't go out until they see some activity by the bidder? Just to keep the paper trail flexible? I don't know; however, shilling increases profit by enough that it makes sense.
Scott I didn't mean to suggest YOU made a mistake, I was thinking maybe the listing was just erroneous or something, a software glitch in the final price? Just speculating.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Scott I didn't mean to suggest YOU made a mistake, I was thinking maybe the listing was just erroneous or something, a software glitch in the final price? Just speculating.
Okay, that could be. I did end up getting the item for the price I wanted, so overall I'm happy with the result. But I can remember arguing with people here about placing ceiling bids, and now I'm seeing the benefit of not doing that. If I had placed a ceiling bid 4 increments higher (which would have been a stupid price) I might very well now owe the AH an extra $600. The discussions here have certainly been valuable.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In response to Sean's comment, I don't think it would be Fusco's action. That was this past Saturday and I was there at the auction. It was over by about 6:45 PM, Eastern time. I thought Scott said he went to bed with the high bid at $1,075. Unless he goes to bed real early, I doubt it was Fusco's.

BobC
No, it wasn't Fusco. It doesn't matter that much who it was, as I've seen this with other AH's, and at least one person emailed that they had seen it with yet another AH. Given that, and the fact that I have no documentation to prove anything nefarious happened, stating an AH name would be ill-advised.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
One of the auction houses has a rules sheet that includes language to the extent that: "We reserve the right to make bids up to the amount of the hidden reserve..." or some such. It's possible that this was occurring, and when no additional bids were made, they contacted the consignor and asked whether he/she would reduce the reserve to the current highest actual bid. When that happened, they killed all four bid increments, and you were left as the high bidder.

It's also possible that for some reason, you were outbid by an actual bidder, however he sent the auctionhouse a message saying that he intended to bid on a different lot or didn't realize he couldn't pay with Monopoly tender, and the auctionhouse retracted them. However, I would hope they would contact you and explain the situation. That's one reason I don't really like the blind bidding process many of these auctionhouses seem to have. At least with eBay you get a sliver of a screenname (6*****a) that you can see is an actual bidder, or whether you're bidding against one person or 30.
John, these are certainly possibilities I had not thought of. Even though a bid is a binding contract, it's probably easier all-around for an AH to just retract bids and ban the reneger. Of course, the lack of an 'outbid' email makes you wonder. Again, perhaps I had an eyeball fail.