NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1930 Ray O Prints...

Recent pick up of this Ruth (around $30) goes well with the stand used to develop these type cards. It is said these could easily be reproduced due to their method of manufacture, but I have not really seen any that made me think they were newer cards. I am sure it's been done though . It's hard to find a period Babe Ruth for under $50 but this is one of them (sometimes they go a little higher as they aren't all that common)!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1930rayoprintruth.jpg (75.6 KB, 160 views)
Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 AM
pete ullman

i once read/heard they can be developed later...so the actually "card" is real...it just wasn't "developed" when the card was made(the 30's). It may have been developed last year...but I've never heard of reproduction cards per say?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:10 AM

I never bought the stigma associated with these cards. I have a Ruth too. It may be possible to reproduce them, but you would need all of the original materials to do it. I would liken it to any other strip card. Produced in high numbers cheaply but still period.

Last edited by packs; 12-10-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

What Pete said.

You can make a fair judgement by examining the photopaper. If it is toned, or at least off white, and fibery/matte on back and all dried out and otherwise seems old, that's a good sign its old. Also, almost all modern paper fluoresces under black light, often has a plasticy/smooth back as its resin (plastic) coated and the stock is much whiter (often snow white).

As mentioned, a modern photo card made from the original negative isn't quite the same as a regular baseball reprint or fake, and might be worth something anyway to go along with the stand. Obviously, baseball card collectors desire the vintage 1930 version and a modern version by itself (sans stand/kit) will have little value, but it would be like making a modern photo made from that Conlon glass negative you won at auction to display with the negative. The Ray O Print kits (and stand) are worth a lot more than the actual card, even if the card is vintage, just as the value in that Conlon display would mostly due to the negative.

15, 20 years back a dealer had plethora of the complete Ray O Print sets in very high grade-- where most kit photo card singles are tough--, which made me think someone had made modern versions from the negatives. But old versus new photo paper is usually pretty clear and you can judge card by card.

If someone's a nervous or unsure about the issue, he can invest his collecting money in the kits (envelope, negative, stand or frame), which you will see for sale and auction. No one's reproduced the kits and they're highly collectible themselves-- with or without an accompanying card.

Last edited by drcy; 12-10-2014 at 01:41 PM.