NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Default VCBC is stronger than it ever was!

Posted By: Tom Lawrie

I finally got tired of all the shots at Don Betz over VCBC's quality and the periodicity of release. A few points:

First, the delay in the most recent issue was purely my fault. I promised Don the article on Alpha Photos, and it took me much longer to write and research than I anticipated. As it was, I failed to get him a number of images that would have made the article a better piece. He intended for this issue to be out immediately after the last issue (within weeks), but I kept holding him up.

Second, Dennis Purdy never published a monthly journal, and if you go back and check the release dates, they were very sporadic as well. Possibly even worse. Don has just recently made VCBC his full time commitment, putting much of the operations of his card business in the hands of others.

Third, Purdy could not make a go of the journal financially. For multiple reasons, Don Betz has the journal on much better financial footing than it ever was in the past. These include significantly increased subscription base, much higher sponsor interest, and Don's own commitment to the publication. He doesn't make money on it, but does it because of his interest in vintage cards. Purdy never paid authors either. If that is the kind of journal that is desired, the subscription prices or the advertising prices would have to increase significantly. Plus he has added color without increasing prices.

Fourth, I spent a few hours speaking with Don after Dennis Purdy announced the discontinuation of VCBC, and we batted around the idea of Don purchasing the journal. I thought it was just an esoteric conversation. Several months later he surprised me by buying the thing! There was no profit motive in it at all - purely a strong interest in vintage cards and in the hobby itself. (He does have a strong interest and knowledge of vintage cards - he got me hooked on Old Judges and the 1890s Baltimore Orioles.)

Fifth, I'm not a big fan of the Good Guy awards either, but I do know that he has significantly more requests for full-page color and other prominent dealer advertising than there is room. He has the luxury of picking and choosing which ads to include, and part of that screening includes hobby reputation. He has declined to run some dealers' ads based strictly on their questionable ethics. Multiple other factors also go into which ads are included (a particular location in the journal may already be taken by past contracts, there may be no room a particular month, etc.), and so a particular vintage dealer may not be included strictly because of factors other than reputation. But there are certain dealers from which I will never purchase cards, and I am certain that their ads will never show up in VCBC. So if his Good Guy selections include primarily advertisers, well at least they have had been screened to some extent. (Though some dealers that I personally dislike, but with solid hobby reputations, still appear, lest anyone think I have any influence in this department; Don is very well in tune with the collectors in the hobby.)

Sixth, I found that Purdy's sarcastic attacks on some of the hobby's problems and poor dealers detracted from the legitimacy of the publication. He went way past rationale discussion or evidence-based arguments into emotional, sarcasm-infused tirades. Editors can be hard-hitting while maintaining their objectivity. Purdy did not do that.

Please e-mail me with questions/comments. I am a long-time customer of Don's and consider him a good friend, but I have no financial ties to his business or VCBC (I'm not paid at all in money or trade).

Tom Lawrie