NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 AM
J1m Ch@pman

Default 1912 World Series RPPC from Fenway - depicting a pivotal moment

Here is a RPPC depicting the pivotal moment of Game 3 of the 1912 World Series at Fenway Park. The RPPC says game 2, but as made clear below it actually means the 2nd game at Fenway which was Game 3 of the Series.

1912-world-series-game-3-postcard-crop-Net-54.jpg

and here is the description of the ninth inning from the New York Times.

NYT-Word-Series-game-3-clipping-Net-54.jpg

We can tell from the scoreboard that it is the ninth inning and that the Red Sox trail the Giants 2 to 0. Boston is listed on the top line of scoreboard, as was tradition at that time, and so we can tell that Boston is at bat. If we enlarge the "Batter" portion of the scoreboard we can see that there is 1 out and "5" is at the bat. "5" would correspond to the 5 hole hitter who would be Gardner.

1912-world-series-game-3-postcard-crop-Net-54-batter-info.jpg

Now let's look at the players on the field in light of the play by play description in the NYT ariticle. Marquard is on the mound and Gardner has just ripped one down the line at first, you can see DeVore diving for the ball in vain and the 1st base coach indicating it is a fair ball. Lewis is running from 1st base and looking back over his shoulder to make sure the ball wasn't fielded. He was ultimately held up by Wagner at third and Gardner was held to a double by this caution. This would prove pivotal as Marquard managed to get out of the inning allowing only Lewis to score to preserve a 2 to 1 victory.

It is not often we get to see a key moment from a Deadball game in live action. If anyone else has a RPPC with a story to tell I'd love to hear it!
Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Neat postcard and work again, Jim.
Here is the closest thing I have...shown before but probably still fits here.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 PM
A.J. Johnson

good grief both of those are super cool!

Jim love the research you did on this. What a great piece of history to have
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Todd Schultz

Default very neat postcards

Both of those are real nice. I wonder when the Evers-Griffith photo was taken. Seems it had to be a Spring Training game from 1915 or maybe 1914--hard to imagine what riled the Crab in such a who-cares setting. Pretty cool to have the addressee depicted in the photo. I bet he got a real hoot, kick or whatever it is that word the author used out of seeing himself in his mail.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Evers fight with the Senators was from 4-10-14.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks. yeah, I suppose 0-4 with a boot as part of a continued slump could burn the fuse, although I saw from the account that he was unhappy with a called third strike on a teammate.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Todd Schultz

BTW Jim, I didn't mean to short you on the kudos for that amazing post card and your research. Well played, sir.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:57 AM
Mark

Nice work Jim.

As for Leon's postcard - that's Chick Gandil far right.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Michael S

Great job Jim. Love the RPPC.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
Nice work Jim.

As for Leon's postcard - that's Chick Gandil far right.
Always good to know Chic is in a card that you weren't aware of, as well the seller might not have been. Not sure if it would have made a selling price change or not....Thanks sir!!

Here is a recently picked up card with a RMY letter of authenticity with it....

Old 07-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I didn't notice Gandil. Wouldn't have impacted the price but cool bonus!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Here is the game action RPPC framed with a 1912 Red Sox team RPPC and a postcard with a scoreboard advertising that the game would be live on a scoreboard at a theater.

1912-WS-postcards-framed-web.jpg
Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Very nice looking display Jim. Thanks for sharing your research and this image with us.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here