NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default Buck Barker handwriting on the back of OJ card

Posted By: Wesley

Dummy Hoy N172 cards are often priced similar to Hall of Fame players from the set, but this card is only graded SGC 1.5 due to the pencil markings on the back. And yet it sold for $3,770.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bidplace.aspx?itemid=3663

Do collectors place a premium on a card if it has handwriting on the back by Buck Barker or Jefferson Burdick or other hobby pioneers? Or is this a special rare pose of some kind?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

I think there are some collectors who might be more interested in this card since it was once Barker's, but the quality of the image on this card probably had more to do with its high price than anything else.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nathan

I was one of the under bidders - I was hoping that people would not bother with the card due to the SGC20 grade but people who looked close enough knew this was a beauty.

Nathan

Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If it was just a photograph, say depicting WWII, the back notes by a well known WWII historian would add value and interest. If it was a wirephoto of the Chicago Bears, football notes from the GM would also likely add value.

I have no opinion as to whether the writing or add or detract from the card, but for most non-card original photos relevant back writing by a the photographer, editor or famous historian on a black backed card would usually be considered desirable. A todler's crayon doodles that would lower value.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I liked the Buck Barker connection but ultimately the greatest attribute of the card (IMO) was the image quality. I'll take SGC20/30 or PSA1/2 cards if the image quality is superb.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BruceBabcock

I bid on this card but didn't come close to winning it (or anything else at Mastro or REA). Great photo, interesting player, and to me the Buck Barker writing adds great value. IMO, a case of "buy the card, not the holder," although the card does look good in the holder.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

As one who has accumulated a few Old Judge cards over time I would call that Hoy a beautiful card with interesting historical material on the back. When will people start to wake up to the fact that technical grades mean little on Old Judge cards. Look at how the card presents itself and ignore the back (unless in a case like this where it contains a bit of history); the back is only there to keep the photo from curling.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I paid a premium for it, becasuse it was in a Lipset auction, and people who bid in Liupset auctions pay premiums for Buck Barker cards--especially Old judge cards.

But if you're just looking pick one up some where, from someone who doesn't know, lots of luck--they aren't all that common.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

As an owner of several Buck Barker back-noted cards, I look at them as unique collectibles but not value enhanced cards. That may be naive I guess. Now if Gilliam Squires stamped cards ever obtain a premium I'll be in great shape! The guy must have owned 10,000 Obaks!!!!