NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do I ever use a sniping service?
Yes 149 53.21%
No 131 46.79%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Do you use a sniping service?

Since this seems to be a hot topic I wonder how many of us use a sniping service?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I didn't even know there was such a thing.
I was just like you Ed... Until I came here and discovered these neat tools. That said, I still use them minimally, mainly when I'm traveling, asleep, or when a seller has a bunch of auctions ending within seconds of each other (sellers prob lose money when they do this). I try to never use them when I'm able to get on line because I've been burnt by the fact they enter my max at 6-8 seconds left. This cost me at least $200 once when a person was able to get 3x bids in within that timeframe and walk up toward my max. Had I manually sniped at 1-2 sec only, I'd have won for 2 bid increments lower. Still won and was still happy with the price.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Trey

Never used one before. Are they free? Can't really see myself paying for this type of service....
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
Never used one before. Are they free? Can't really see myself paying for this type of service....
Most are free. I use gavelsnipe and it's free. Frankly I am quite surprised at the results so far...
Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Ed McCollum

The great thing about a snipe service is you put in your max bid to begin with, and then don't worry about it again until after the auction is over.

If you get it, yah! you got if for what you were willing to pay or less.

If you lose it, dang-it, it went for more than you were willing to spend.

That leaves you with more time to look at other stuff or even (hard to imagine) spend time outside the hobby.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with snipes, I just didn't know you could get someone else to do it for you. I always thought "sniping" was hitting that last second bid to get the win. I do that.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Most are free. I use gavelsnipe and it's free. Frankly I am quite surprised at the results so far...
+1 on Gavelsnipe. I don't use it very often, but it's a nice option to keep the wife happy during family functions where you are not sneaking off to throw in last second bids !
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I use gavelsnipe, but find that if it is an item I really want I am still watching when it is going to end and sometimes bidding against my snipe at the last second. Yet there are times I just can't be there to bid and I am glad that I already have it set.
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
+1 on Gavelsnipe. I don't use it very often, but it's a nice option to keep the wife happy during family functions where you are not sneaking off to throw in last second bids !
I use it somewhere around 99% of the time and bid on average about once a day.
Pau.l C

Quote:
I don't feel like I should vote since I just signed up and entered my first snipes yesterday!
I too always thought snipping was just placing the bid in the last few seconds until a few months ago when others here mentioned the snipping sites.
Honestly I feel like a lot of folks here are understandably quiet about the snipping because it gives an edge over those who are not using the service. No credit card was need to sign up with:
www.gavelsnipe.com
I have missed out on countless auctions because I was not at a computer when I needed to be & now I'm free from wondering if I will be available to bid at the close- albeit long after countless smart
folks here have taken advantage of the services.

Last edited by chernieto; 09-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:13 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Long, long ago, you could actually look at the items on ebay someone was bidding on. I got a chaser who would check what i was bidding on, which was fairly unique, and snipe me which necessitated me finding a service. I used Auctionsniper and was very pleased, but I haven't used them in a long, long time. I just bid what i am willing to pay and walk away though I buy a lot less off the bay.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
The great thing about a snipe service is you put in your max bid to begin with, and then don't worry about it again until after the auction is over.

If you lose it, dang-it, it went for more than you were willing to spend.

That leaves you with more time to look at other stuff or even (hard to imagine) spend time outside the hobby.

So, kind of like bidding without snipping?

I've known about it, just never understood the benefit. It may be me though, I'm the time of person that is hesitant to do things the new different way.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
So, kind of like bidding without snipping?

I've known about it, just never understood the benefit. It may be me though, I'm the time of person that is hesitant to do things the new different way.
No not the same. Bidding without snipping allows another person to keep bidding you up just because they can (not just shilling, but other bidders). A snipe is essence a way of saying here is my hidden "best offer" but I won't pay a bid increment more than any other "best offer".
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

I am another Gavelsnipe user. I don;t have the patience to be sitting by my PC for every auction in which I want to submit a last-minute bid. I like the "set it and forget it" approach a sniping service affords and Gavelsnipe has never let me down.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

+1 to gavelsnipe. Once I found it I never looked back! I just set my max bid and walk away, takes all the pressure off.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
No not the same. Bidding without snipping allows another person to keep bidding you up just because they can (not just shilling, but other bidders). A snipe is essence a way of saying here is my hidden "best offer" but I won't pay a bid increment more than any other "best offer".

Makes sense. I may have to try.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

starting to look mighty tempting
Old 09-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Snipped the snipe

Used to, but with an eBay app on the phone I don't really need to.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 09-02-2014, 02:22 PM

Ive never done it and don't know what it is. Could someone give me a quick run down on what snipe services are? Thanks!
"I am an outcast, and I haven't a good name. I'm the loser, just like all gamblers are. I lived to make great plays. What did I gain? Nothing. Everything was lost because I raised hell after hours. I was a wise guy, a know-it-all, I guess."
-Hal Chase
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalChaseCollector View Post
Ive never done it and don't know what it is. Could someone give me a quick run down on what snipe services are? Thanks!
You setup a free account, then you add the Ebay URL of the item you are interested in, then add your maximum bid amount. At the last few seconds of the auction, the service puts in the bid for you up to your maximum bid. It runs on several servers and I have never had one that didn't get executed. They can also send you email notifications if your maximum bid has been surpassed.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Paul

I always wondered who was placing ebay bids before 20 seconds were left in the auction -- I guess now I know. Half the respondents! WOW!

As a bidder, why would you let your competitors know your high bid? This just encourages people to bid you up early and often.

Stated another way, the only person who benefits from early bidding is the seller.

If you bid with enough time to let competitors or shillers see your bid and respond then you are just asking to pay more to win, and you undoubtedly will lose more.

Instead, try sniping. Take the ebay item number to Gavelsnipe. Put the number into the system and how much your top bid is. Then leave it alone. It will place the bid for you with 8 or so seconds left. Nobody can respond. You just get your bid in at your max. Set it, and forget it!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

This is from the front page of gavelsnipe.com:

GavelSnipe improves your odds to win auctions at lower prices. By not tipping your hand early, your bids won’t start as many costly bidding wars, or lose lots you’d have otherwise won.

Simply type, or copy and paste, the auction URL into your MY SNIPES page, and enter your bid. Or better yet, use the time-saving Snipe-It! Toolbar instead. GavelSnipe displays everything for you, with optional email updates nightly, and/or whenever you get outbid.

Seconds before each auction ends, GavelSnipe submits your bid from three bid servers (in
separate cities). Your computer does not have to be turned on.

If you ever want to retract any bid, you can do so up to five minutes before the auction closes.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I've used Gavelsnipe for a few years now and it has worked perfectly. Set your max bid and walk away and enjoy other things instead of watching the clock tick on an auction! Most of the times the item goes for about what I'd expect, but there have been times where I've "stolen" an item with the snipe.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Brandon Raber

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I always wondered who was placing ebay bids before 20 seconds were left in the auction -- I guess now I know. Half the respondents! WOW!

As a bidder, why would you let your competitors know your high bid? This just encourages people to bid you up early and often.

Stated another way, the only person who benefits from early bidding is the seller.

If you bid with enough time to let competitors or shillers see your bid and respond then you are just asking to pay more to win, and you undoubtedly will lose more.

Instead, try sniping. Take the ebay item number to Gavelsnipe. Put the number into the system and how much your top bid is. Then leave it alone. It will place the bid for you with 8 or so seconds left. Nobody can respond. You just get your bid in at your max. Set it, and forget it!
True, but if the price is artificially low it also encourages more bidders in the final few seconds thereby potentially hurting your odds. I realize this effect is less than that gained by just sniping but just adding a potential reason people might bid earlier.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Sniped manually for many years -- quite successfully, and we were proud of our sharp timing and quick fingers.
Then eBay auction pages started filling with so much Java and Flash doohickeys that it slowed page loads to a crawl
(at least on our old system) and often made manual sniping close to impossible.

A friend turned us on to GavelSnipe, which worked superbly for us for many years following. A few weeks ago,
it inexplicably refused to acknowledge our correctly-entered sign-in/password and thereupon blocked us
from accessing our account. Polite inquiries to GavelSnipe yielded the rudest responses we've ever gotten from
any supposedly professional company, twice coming just short of calling us irresponsible idiots in so many words
and offering no explanation nor any help beyond telling us to open a new account.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Tony Ooten

I've known about snipe services since joining this board 5 years ago (wow time flies), but never used one.

Like someone said: it would just be a vehicle for me to spend more money, which I am constantly battling against.

I normally wait till the end and manually enter my bid at the last seconds.

I've forgotten or shown up late a few times over the years, but that's ok... another way to help control my spending.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post

I agree this happens 90% of the time, but as was case in my example using the snipe service actually hurt me. By placing my max bid at 8 seconds, it allowed time for the eventual under bidder to take me up 3x bidding increments. Ebay's new one click bidding feature means that someone can rattle off 3-4 bids in a couple seconds.

Again, 90% of the time it goes off without a hitch (with exception of this past weekend).. However, think there's no replacement for bidding manually at about 1-2 seconds. In my case, I was on line and could've/would've done so, except the snipe cannot be changed or deleted within 5 min of close. Looking at bid history, the item was mine at X, maybe X plus one increment had I sniped it manually.. But ended up at X+ 3 increments with automatic snipe.

Overall, very happy with the service though.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Jeff Lowe

I am surprised by the results so far .
Old 09-02-2014, 05:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same here... simply astonished that the poll is even close to 50/50.

I haven't seen it mentioned above (or perhaps just missed it), but want to give a "shout out" to Gixen, who is my sniper of choice. Very reliable, completely free, easy to use, and has yet to mis-fire after hundreds of snipes

Last edited by perezfan; 09-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I use gavelsnipe, but find that if it is an item I really want I am still watching when it is going to end and sometimes bidding against my snipe at the last second. Yet there are times I just can't be there to bid and I am glad that I already have it set.
What happens when you bid against your snipe? Does Ebay recognize it as raising your max bid, or does it treat your bid like a competing bid?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
What happens when you bid against your snipe? Does Ebay recognize it as raising your max bid, or does it treat your bid like a competing bid?
With Gavelsnipe it is your same login and user id so you can't beat yourself or raise your own high bid (as far as I am aware). The system won't allow it to bid against itself (yourself).
Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Gavelsnipe/ebay

A few weeks back I got an outbid notice at the end of an auction from gavelsnipe.

I went back to the auction to take a look at it and there were NO bids.

I emailed gavelsnipe to ask how this was possible, and got the below response. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I emailed the seller and eventually got the item. I informed him he should change his ebay settings, if this is indeed a possible setting.

eBay returned this message when Gavelsnipe attempted to bid for you:

Buyer Requirements error

Sorry, you are not allowed to purchase this item

•This item is only available to buyers who have not purchased 1 or
more items from this seller in the past 10 days.
•You can contact the seller for more information, or find similar
items offered by other sellers.

Gavelsnipe doesn't have a specific error message for this condition
and defaulted to the outbid notice.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Robert Williams

Try bidding on an item by the seller and not sniping. If your bid doesn't register, then the seller probably has you blocked.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Try bidding on an item by the seller and not sniping. If your bid doesn't register, then the seller probably has you blocked.
Robert:

I was not blocked. The seller had a few different cards in the same set ending minutes apart from each other. I won an earlier card, then for the reason ebay gave gavelsnipe I could not bid on any others because I had just won something from the same seller.

Have you ever heard of this? Is there a setting available to sellers to do this? Why would a seller want to do this?

Fred
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Robert Williams

A seller can limit the amount of items one person wins to 10. They do that to prevent one person from maliciously sabatoging their auctions. A malicious buyer can buy every single listing one seller has, and not pay for anything and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Mike

Default Indeed

Quote:
As am I - surprised on two fronts, even:
  1. that the results are so even - who wouldn't use one??
  2. that I've quoted two posts of Leon's in 1 day ... not that there's anything wrong with that

Been using gavelsnipe since 2008 with my first successful eBay snipe on 10/19 ... there should be no surprise what set the card was from

--
Mike
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Jimi

I still have a gavelsnipe.com account, but I haven't really been actively buying cards from auctions in a couple years. I'll get there eventually....
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Dave Reese

I use Gavelsnipe every time on eBay. It actually saves me money by not sitting around waiting to get outbid, and then bidding more. I set my max and go with it. Great service that has never failed. Highly recommend.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Barry Arnold

Default sniping service

sounds too much like snipe hunting for me to give it a try.

best,
barry
Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Great service that has never failed.
LOL! I guess you didn't use it this past Sunday!....when did you last use it?? You might have to change something or it probably will fail.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I had an early issue with a snipe service (ten years ago?) and have never gone back. I might only bid on one item a month and look forward to the auction end which is typically when I'm available (Sunday evening).
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
LOL! I guess you didn't use it this past Sunday!....when did you last use it?? You might have to change something or it probably will fail.
I have used it every single day in the last week with no issues. (knock on wood )
Old 09-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Rob Ruddy

A sniping service?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 AM
$téve VV1lk

I've used other sniping sites that allow you to change the time of your bid.
For example, if you go below their "10 seconds before auction end" then they don't guarantee the bid will be placed.
Looks as though GavelSnipe's is defaulted to 20 seconds. Has anyone had problems lowering their snipe timing?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
For example, if you go below their "10 seconds before auction end" then they don't guarantee the bid will be placed.
Looks as though GavelSnipe's is defaulted to 20 seconds. Has anyone had problems lowering their snipe timing?
I snipe at 6 seconds. Never a problem ( that I'm aware of)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
I've used MyIbidder for the last three years, and I always set it for 3 seconds to discourage last ditch efforts to top my bid. It's flawless so far.

I'm really happy so many people aren't sniping!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I've used Gavelsnipe a lot in the past and it was always a pleasure. I won lots of ebay auction using the service. More recently I've been sniping on my own using the ebay mobile app and I get my bids in in the last 5 seconds every time. I do sometimes miss the end of an auction but nothing that bothers me.

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
Used to, but with an eBay app on the phone I don't really need to.

Best regards,

Joe
This. Unless I'm asleep, my phone stays with me almost all the time. I get alerts when items I'm watching are about to end. For me, I don't need a sniping service.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Double post...and that's weird because I didn't even hit the back button.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 09-03-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Double post