NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Default Does it make anyone else nervous....

Posted By: Matt E.

to see a mailman at the card show in uniform. I know everyone can collect what they want. However this struck me as a little odd a few Saturday's ago. He was dressed in his full regalia minus the hat. I live in a metropolitan area of 500,000 people and have always received my cards. Not bashing any letter carriers.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

as long as he wasn't opening a bunch of different envelopes and then trying to sell or trade the contents, hopefully we're all ok...

Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

"Is there a problem postal employee Newman?"

Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

There is a guy who worked at my local Post Office here in Santa Rosa (Bay Area) who once saw that my package was addressed to SGC and said "baseball cards?". I said yes, he then went on to tell me about a local company that grades cards called CTA, bla bla bla (I find out later CTA Card Graders is based 5 miles from me). I was a bit nervous after I left knowing that he knew the contents of my insured package and the value ($1500). For a while I tried my best to not go through his line, but luckily I havent seen him lately and think he relocated to another branch or something.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I get regular shipments via the U.S mail. My letter carrier knows that those padded envelopes and small boxes that come on a regular basis are cards. We talked a little bit about it and I trust her 100%. She has went out of her way to make sure my shipments arrive safe and dry. I really prefer Fed Ex to ship and receive cards, I trust my mail carrier but as for the rest of the postal service I can't vouch.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Chris, Ditto on the trust of my mail carrier. She knows what is in the packages and makes a point of letting me know she has some goodies for me when she comes into my office. I doubt very much, that taking a chance on a $1 or $1k package would be worth risking a $60k a year job. Of course with any profession there are bad apples.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

were Mailmen. And, this was before cards were worth much dinero. Frankly, that made some sense because if you were an efficient mail delivery person you'd have plenty of free time to pursue hobbies. I know the first mailman I remember in my home town could have his entire load delivered (and accurately) by noon. His replacement dawdled and spent the full 8 hour day doing deliveries.

The head of the local post office was also a card collector and frankly did not care if a person got done early if the mail was delivered correctly. So, if you did a good job and quickly -- you had plenty of free time.

I can not speak for today or any situation other than what I had growing up.

Rich