NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2003, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Default N172's on eBay---Did someone just buy the farm?

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Greetings,

I haven't posted much lately as I've been ill with some damned Diabetic related crap. However, I wasn't too sick to notice the seller on eBay who's hocking some 250+ N172's this week. Just wanted to know from any of the veterans on the board, if anyone well known in the hobby may have passed recently? It's being branded an estate sale and frankly I haven't seen this many OJ's come up for sale togethe...ever. Any thoughts?

Old 06-27-2003, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i believe the last mastro auction had a few very sizable old judge lots with many hof's including some of the near imposible ones to find. it could be the person bought the lot for those cards and is now breaking up the rest

Old 06-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Administrator

The assortment of HOFer's, stars, etc in these auctions is really good. A great lot to choose from, especially if your looking for some of the more popular poses/players from the OJ set in decent collector grades. I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't try to get in on this action.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Administrator

For anyone reading this thread that's new to collecting OJ, or has only been doing it for a little while, like myself, these auctions are a good chance to view some tough and expensive cards that you don't see to often. Several 1889's as well.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

good thing no one is trying to catalog all the old judge prices on ebay by player/grade otherwise they would have alot of work to do next week....I couldnt believe when i saw so many OJ's at once,and even saw some players i never heard of including 2 of James Caravan(?)........Might be a good time to pick up some cheap because i dont think theres that many old judge collectors where the prices on all of them will reach the prices they should

Old 06-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

Given that the OJ auctions just started the prices actually appear pretty high to me, especially when one considers grade. Most of the professionally graded OJs don't even do as well as these in similar condition. In general, without seeing the backs, these seem like about VG to VG-EX on the whole. VG to VG-EX graded OJ cards (even ones that just have back damage holding them back from higher grades) don't generally sell for much over $150.

Nonetheless I don't doubt that some of these will be bargains -- there are 250+ of them. Especially good for the type collector who just wants one decent OJ.

It's nice to see so many sold as singles.....

Old 06-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

If he wins every card he is high bidder on (and not just "bookmark" bids)he'll be paying a pretty penny.
Good luck Trevor!

Old 06-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Thanks Bob, for the luck, I'm sure I'll need it. As you can see I have been outbid on quite a few already. All I collect is 19th century cards and when an opportunity like this comes around I just can't pass it up. It's pretty amazing to see these cards show and stay up on ebay. I have e-mailed the seller and I don't think he knows how much money he'll be dealing with come next Wednesday. I hope I will get a couple but I'm sure there will be quite a few last minute snipes. I know I have my snipe software set. It will be fun to see the final out come. I'm sure it will make the Mastro lots look like a great buy!!!
Trevor

Old 06-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

And you can be sure the Kieth Olberman will be heavily invovlved in the bidding on many cards.

Jay

Old 06-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

I can pick out the hofers in the hoard, but I'm not too familiar with all the rarities being offered(I noticed a spotted tie, and a few rarer teams...)

So, what are the major rarities in the lot?

Old 06-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Administrator

The umpire is also a very desirable card from the set. Don't think I've ever seen a that WA ump before. cards from 1889 are fairly hard to find and I noticed a few minor leauge teams that you don't see too often.

Jay

Old 06-27-2003, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

but what is the likelihood of every last one of these 250 Old judges being "very good."

Having bought some of the Mastro Old Judges second hand, I would say most of these are not quite good enough...

Still!!!!!

Old 06-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

if you have his want list you will see there are only a couple he wants in this hoard!

Old 06-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Administrator

All I have is the Dan Patrick wantlist and he nededs everything :-p

Jay

Old 06-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

Yes. It looks like someone kicked the bucket.

Old 06-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

These were stumbled upon by a paper collector. Notice how all cards are described as "very good for its age"--not "very good" as a grade. Notice that none of the HOFers are so designated. He paid somewhere between $50-$500 for them, and will do very well for himself!

Old 06-30-2003, 02:52 AM
Administrator

He had to do some reserach since he lsits the first name of every player. You can't get that from the card, so has to have some card knowledge or at least baseball knowledge and how to research things.

Jay

Old 06-30-2003, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

and except for Ned Hanlon,he lists all of the Hall of Famers together,so i doubt thats coincidence. Hanlon is a more recent inductee so that could be explained by an outdated catalog.He has a good idea of what he has....He probably did get them cheap as far as OJ's go(which is pretty far if you get right angle and wrist motion,those old cards really fly) but he was just at the right place at the right time