NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default s74 silk back question

Posted By: andy becker

hi all
my question is regarding white silks with paper backing.
i have traded for some turkey red silks that has a "frame" or border on the reverse. 4 different silks, all with the frame that apppear to be off center (or miscut). i also have turkey red silks without the border.
so, here are the questions:
1) which turkey red back is more common...with the border or without?
2) do all the turkey red borders look off center or miscut?
3) any idea which was printed first? with border or without?
4) and are the old mill s74's available with the border too? or just turkey red?

the trade was with another board member, and we both would like to be fair...so any help would be much appreciated.
regards andy

Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

I can't remember for sure Andy (I used to collect these and had about 75 or so at one time), but aren't they 2 different colors? One I think is blue?
And aren't these the ones with the borders?

And if they are......they are the harder ones to find. I think I only had about 4 or 5 out of maybe 40-50 Turkey Reds in my collection.

Keith

Old 01-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Administrator

hi keith
the fronts do come in two colors, shades of maroon and blue. the blue is more scarce...for sure.
i'm not sure i have a blue front with a turkey red back...but i am certain that the "bordered" turkey red silks i just received are in maroon ink.
thanks for trying...and where are those 75????

Old 01-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

Long gone Andy .

Did keep 3 (Tinker, Evers, Chance), one has the Turkey Red blue back and I'm almost positive it has borders, not sure what color the front is. Its in the safety deposit box, if you need me to get it out and look at it, tonights the night as I work till 5 during the week.

Sorry I couldn't help out more, regards, Keith

Old 01-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Administrator

thanks for the offer, that's not necessary. i would love to trade for those puppies...let me know if you are interested.
thanks again keith

Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim goodrich

Greetings Andy and to the board, I'm new to the forum, hope it's O.K. to throw in a few comments regarding the s74's. I've been collecting silks for a while and have found that the Turkey Reds come with two different back styles. One is printed in blue ink with a blue frame surrounding the lettering, the other printed in black ink without a frame. No question the "blue back" is the more scarce of the two. Do have some blue backs, one is centered about 45/55 the balance aren't even close..waaay off. Black backs don't seem to share that problem, most are done fairly well . The fronts were printed in three different colors, brown, maroon or rusty red (lousy with color i.d.'s, sorry) and blue. Don't have a blue back / blue front piece, can only assume they exist, just haven't been lucky enough to find one yet. Never seen an Old Mill or Red Sun frame backed baseball player but do have three actresses, one each from T.R., Old Mill and Red Sun all with the frame, all well centered. Hope it's of some help Andy. If you could use some scans let me know. Jim

Old 02-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Glad to see your post Jim. Let me officially welcome you to the forum. Your opinion is always welcome. I happen to know firsthand that Jim is as close to an expert as there is when it comes to collecting S74 silks.

Patrick

Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

hi jim
thanks for responding, i recognize your moniker. your comments were very helpful. thanks!
i know the backs of silks refer to actress and baseball players. were they printed on the same sheet? i have read of an uncut s74, but never seen.
i'm wondering if the fact that an actress having the border means that baseball players must have the border variety produced too?
again jim welcome!!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the welcome folks...I appreciate it. Not much experience with the '09 actress series Andy...just seen a few. However there is a big difference in format between them and the ballplayers. The fronts do have a white background but the portraits are a colored print or lithograph similar in color to the s81 silks. Kind of nice actually. I don't believe the ballplayers and actresses were from the same sheet for that reason and also because the actress cardboard (at least on those few pieces) is a different type. It's much more coarse, almost like a particle or chip board. Never seen that style on the ballplayers. I wonder if they were even made at the same site? Maybe someone can help us out with that and a bunch of other manufacturing questions we could both come up with. Thanks again, Jim (pics if you want 'em)

Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ron Skaggs

Hi Andy,
I also have been reading the message board for sometime but first time answering a question. Like Jim I also collect S74 silks. Colored and whites.
Just one addition from Jims response. I do have the partical board back on a ball player without boarders. It is a Red Sun Elberfeld brown print.
Scan available if requested. Funny thing I was out of town and a long time friend and collector who probably has the nicest collection on the West Coast won this group of silks with backs. Discription said Old Mills but when group arrived there was the Red Sun mixed in the group. The actress cards I have all are on the partical board paper but have boards.

If any one is looking to sell any silks colored or white I am interested.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Hi Ron.... Thanks for posting the Red Sun info, good to hear from a pro. I didn't know that board type existed on a ballplayer. Great find! Would you shoot me a scan sometime, I'll put it in the files. Hope all's well out west Ron and thank you Andy for starting this thread.....