NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default The Jeannie/Shoeless Joe saga CHECK THE LOWER LEFT CORNER (need opinion on my response)

Posted By: Bob S

Look, Folks,

I have very little interest in this topic. But, I did look at those original scans, and if you can't see the difference in the lower left corners of the two then you need new glasses. Forget matching the stains, just look at that corner....geez.

Bob

Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Default The Jeannie/Shoeless Joe saga CHECK THE LOWER LEFT CORNER (need opinion on my response)

Posted By: Steve

Bob

I agree, however I think that many here were of the opinion that they were one and the same cuz the way jeannie cropped hers. I did not reply earlier to the original thread as i was of the opinion that they were not the same too.

I think she took hers down so as to not have 2 of those cards on ebay at the same time. then again nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to ebay.

And like a horse with blinders on ..................

Steve

Old 01-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Steve,

I think a big problem was that she/he will not or has not even made mention of the card in question. This is what brought her/him here in the first place and she/he talked about everything else but that.

WHY ????

Old 01-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Scott

Jeannie did not reply here. an email she/he sent to someone was posted here.

qoute: Well Jeannie read our thread, after I asked her to "check it out" and this is her e-mail comments back to me: quote

I have no idea as to why she chose to reply in the manner in which she did.

Steve

edited to add: actually she/he did try and reply to the question at hand by saying:

QUOTE: . In closing I say with all heartfelt sincerity and truth that I would NEVER intentionally cheapen "My Ebay" QUOTE

Old 01-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

There is no way that this J. person could have cropped that card bottom far enough up from the true bottom edge to get such a squared appearance. You'd be much closer to the lettering than shows on the supposedly "cropped" card.

I'm not sure why this issues has gotten to me, but being careful, and cautious is one thing. Interpreting words and applying inuendo and irrelavent issues (the sellers' appearance) to this debate, to me, borders on the paranoid.

Bob

Old 01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Agreed.

Steve

edited to add: which responce do you need an opinon on?

Old 01-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Bob: the scan is definitely cropped. If you look at the enlarged scan of the "real" card (click on it and you will get a much bigger scan) you will see that the bottom and the left side were cropped so that the rounded corner was cut-out. In fact, all four sides were cropped. At the bottom of the enlarged scan of the real card you can also see what's left of some of the stains that were cropped (which gives you a good idea of just how much was lopped-off in the stolen scan).

Also, have you looked at the backs of the two scans? Much clearer (even with the cropping) that the two cards are identical.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

The stains are like fingerprints. They match exactly.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Steve. It was my own response ..."I got no dog in this fight", that I wanted an opinion on. You agreed with my opinion. Thanks, again.

And, thanks PC and ramram, for giving your views, even though they disagree with mine and Steve's.

The more I look at the scans, I'm starting to think I am wrong here.

It's a damn shame there are so many crooks out there.

Thanks, again, to all 3 of you.

Bob

Old 01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

The cards are definitely the same - as noted earlier, stains are like fingerprints and to have not only stains in the same places, but also in identical circular patterns on two different cards is extremly unlikely. If you look at the backs, in addition to staining, there are two print dots on the top border that match up exactly - that also suggests the cards are one in the same.

As for the corner, in addition to cropping (which I happen to think is the case here) someone who is an expert at photoshopping pictures could easily cut out a corner on another card, resize it, and paste it onto the stolen scan to "create" a new corner. With the poor quality of the stolen scan, it is unlikely you would ever notice anything that would clue you in that the scan had been photoshopped.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Its the same card. Photo was cropped.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks fkw, and Josh.

Josh, i should have thought of the skilled "photoshopper" being able to pull that off.

I guess scans aren't really worth much anymore.

Well, since early '04, I've done almost all of my card transactions either with long time friends or in that old fashion way.....face to face. Having my lighted loop and flourescent light with me, of course. LOL

Thanks, again.

Bob

Old 01-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

To see how easy it was to crop the original image of the card from Cat's auction, I tried it myself ...

Looks pretty close to the stolen scan. All I did was save the image to my computer, and use the photo program that came with my digital camera to crop it ... I did not try to build-up or otherwise square-off the lower left corner. Shockingly easy to do.

(Sorry to Cat for adding insult to injury to his CJ.)

Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Actually you guys are right. It is the same card.

I think that there is more to all this then what meets the eye.

Steve

Old 01-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm not even close to photoshop whiz, but here is what I did with one of my cards. And I didn't even bother to build up the corners, which would have been a breeze.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon & Jennifer

Wow...that's actually scary stuff, Jay. Hate to think of how often that's being done on eBay...

Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff lichtman

Jay, I agree. If you can do that with little knowledge in this field...imagine what happens on ebay every day.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Even a neophyte (such as me) with photoshop can produce some startling images.

Max