NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Default Card show in nowhere

Posted By: jay behrens

I think I attended the only collectibles show featuring baseball cards in the entire country that did not have a single slabbed card in the entire room. There was an odler gentleman set up with a lot of really nice early Bowman and Topps cards. Told him if he wanted to get top dollar, he should get them slabbed and gave him the basic info on it. Otherwise, the highlight for me was being able to sit and chat with Tony Oliva for awhile. Surprisingly, he remember who is was more than 15 years later. Then again, when you walk up with 20 odd wire service photos, you are kind of hard to forget since I am sure they don't sign a lot of those. A friend of mine and Lee's got confirmation from Oliva that a bat he found in an antique store and got for a song is one that he used his rookie year.

Jay

Old 05-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

???

Old 05-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Far away from the stock market mindset.
The tables were apparently manned by collectors.
They care not that they look purty in a slab.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It was in Alexandria, MN where Lee and I live.

Jay

Old 05-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Alexandria, MN.

Old 05-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

One of my favorite minor league logos is the Alexandria Beetle. I need only the Duluth Huskies and St. Cloud River Bats to complete my Northwoods cap collection.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

would recommend Mark Macrae's Thanksgiving show (he's not doing a summer one this year because he's setting up sort of at the National..NOT as usual). St Leander's Church. San Leandro, CA. Right across the street from the Bay Area Rapid Transit stop. Just south of Oakland, right across the bay from San Francisco.
...not EVERYTHING is unslabbed, but a lot is.

Is Your Town, MN anywhere near Northfield? If it isn't you proably never heard of it...

Old 05-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Alexandria is 100 miles east of Fargo, ND and 120 west of Minneapolis. We have a giant Viking statue "Big Ole" in our town. We are the "Birthplace of America", someone 100 years ago found a runestone in his field with viking inscriptions telling of Vikings that had settled the area long before Colombus. Great debate to whether it is authentic, but it has travelled all over the world.

It was nice getting the Beetles in town, Northwoods League. Same format as the Cape Cod League, college students either Freshman, sophmore or Junior, and use a wood bat. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of baseball played. The Beetles will have Frank Viola's son playing for them this year. Alot of former Twins players have had kids that either play or have played in the league.

As far as the name Beetles came about, they had a naming contest and the person that won came up with the "Rock Stars", so they decided to name it the "Beetles", gues they already had the name figured out. the Beetles have a bullpen car that looks like the yellow submarine, the players hate it.

This is what makes baseball such a great sport, you can put a high quality product in a small town and it can succeed, with the hope of some day maybe one of the players might make the majors.

This concludes my story of my hometown Alexandria, MN. If your ever in the area (lots of lakes) let us know.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Let me add that I go to about 50 minor league games a year.
You can't beat it.
It's been good baseball real up close, and a chance to see and get to know some of the prospects on the way to the show.
Players like Bernie Williams, Posada, Pettitte, Maglio Ordonez, Ankiel, Pujols, and now a kid by the name of Tony Blanco, that's learning his trade for the Reds.
Oops sorry, I digressed.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Julie.............

Old 05-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Please see "Mark Macrae's June 26th show" thread, or simply understand message was WRONG in this thread: Mark Macrae DOES have a show this summer, June 26.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Spent a few weeks every summer of my childhood on Lake Miltona or Ida. Even got my picture in the local fish wrap with a 15 oz Pumkinseed sunfish! I also had the pleasure of meeting Tony Oliva. He was a great person who would actually talk to you and seemed interested in what you had to say (even from a 12 year old). Frank Viola was sitting next to him and barely said two words the whole night. Glad to hear other people have similar experiences with him.