NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 10-26-2023, 10:25 AM
Arthur R!ch

I put some Dempsey cards up on the bay, which I'm not worried about based on the number of watchers they've already gotten, but there's a decent chance this Peter Jackson slips through the cracks and it's quite rare. If you've been looking for one, this is your chance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175983168165

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 10-26-2023, 05:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Back to pickups.

Thanks to the board for this one, a collection of 23 N266's found their way to me this morning. I had 3 cards previously, so now at 20 different pictures with 6 duplicates. At least 3 of the duplicates are of both the different types though. I assume all 25 cards come both ways and I will wind up needing 50 cards, but I'm not 100% sure that they do nor have I tallied up enough to know if one type is tougher than the other type. Hard to tell which is which in scans sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1699.jpg (204.4 KB, 492 views)
Old 10-27-2023, 10:18 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Back to pickups.

Thanks to the board for this one, a collection of 23 N266's found their way to me this morning. I had 3 cards previously, so now at 20 different pictures with 6 duplicates. At least 3 of the duplicates are of both the different types though. I assume all 25 cards come both ways and I will wind up needing 50 cards, but I'm not 100% sure that they do nor have I tallied up enough to know if one type is tougher than the other type. Hard to tell which is which in scans sometimes.
Great pick-up Greg. When you say "Different Types", do you mean the ones with the more traditional card-stock vs. the thinner stock ones that appear to have come from a Poster or ad slick...or is there some type of other variation in the set?
Old 10-27-2023, 04:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Great pick-up Greg. When you say "Different Types", do you mean the ones with the more traditional card-stock vs. the thinner stock ones that appear to have come from a Poster or ad slick...or is there some type of other variation in the set?
I apologize for being obtuse, I didn't realize until I read your post this might not be a known thing in the hobby. I then checked Jones, Warshaw, and the online resources and none of them mention it. I can't find the two types mentioned anywhere before so far. I am a novice with the N cards

The cards (I assume all of them, but I haven't catalogued it) come with 2 different copyright captions on the front. It's a rather faint line that is often difficult to make out in pictures, but beneath the "RED" on front is that line. There are 2 very different fonts and styles, one with thicker letters in a boldface type that appears both darker and more readable, or a very faint italicized font. The two cards attached are both the Murphy/Weir pairing. The text is the same phrasing, though the italicized font often looks like "1890" to my eyes it's actually "1893" as well. I don't believe either is meaningfully more difficult than the other, but it seems there were 2 print runs of this set (plus whatever the thinner cut things with the blue subtitles at bottom are - I do not own any of those. Yet ). Comparing all my cards, I cannot find any other difference in the printing on front or back separating the two types. Not a super exciting difference, but a definite intentional production difference that will make a master set, I suspect, 50 cards in total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1710.jpg (174.5 KB, 471 views)
Old 10-28-2023, 09:58 AM
Dave

Quote:
I apologize for being obtuse, I didn't realize until I read your post this might not be a known thing in the hobby. I then checked Jones, Warshaw, and the online resources and none of them mention it. I can't find the two types mentioned anywhere before so far. I am a novice with the N cards

The cards (I assume all of them, but I haven't catalogued it) come with 2 different copyright captions on the front. It's a rather faint line that is often difficult to make out in pictures, but beneath the "RED" on front is that line. There are 2 very different fonts and styles, one with thicker letters in a boldface type that appears both darker and more readable, or a very faint italicized font. The two cards attached are both the Murphy/Weir pairing. The text is the same phrasing, though the italicized font often looks like "1890" to my eyes it's actually "1893" as well. I don't believe either is meaningfully more difficult than the other, but it seems there were 2 print runs of this set (plus whatever the thinner cut things with the blue subtitles at bottom are - I do not own any of those. Yet ). Comparing all my cards, I cannot find any other difference in the printing on front or back separating the two types. Not a super exciting difference, but a definite intentional production difference that will make a master set, I suspect, 50 cards in total.

Thanks for the explanation. Not obtuse at all. I think you under-estimate your own expertise and standing in the hobby.

It seems like the T206 guys have been doing it forever, but it was very rare for boxing guys to worry themselves over "Master" sets and variations.

Boxing Collectors (with exceptions of course), tend to be more mercurial and unfocused in their collecting and cataloging. Myself included. It wasn't until Evan Jones and then much more comprehensively, Adam Warshaw, that anybody was even willing to share their checklists with the rest of the hobby.

Not to blow smoke up your ass, but you're breaking new ground on a regular basis, simply by paying more attention to detail, that most of us have been ignoring for many years.

I'm sure you could come up with an entire book on just the T218 set, and another one on the T220 set.

I find it fascinating, even if I am observing it mostly from the sidelines.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Not obtuse at all. I think you under-estimate your own expertise and standing in the hobby.

It seems like the T206 guys have been doing it forever, but it was very rare for boxing guys to worry themselves over "Master" sets and variations.

Boxing Collectors (with exceptions of course), tend to be more mercurial and unfocused in their collecting and cataloging. Myself included. It wasn't until Evan Jones and then much more comprehensively, Adam Warshaw, that anybody was even willing to share their checklists with the rest of the hobby.

Not to blow smoke up your ass, but you're breaking new ground on a regular basis, simply by paying more attention to detail, that most of us have been ignoring for many years.

I'm sure you could come up with an entire book on just the T218 set, and another one on the T220 set.

I find it fascinating, even if I am observing it mostly from the sidelines.
Thank you, really. I don't want to totally hijack this board into a focus on my favored sets or be annoying with all the pedantic details lol

I like the historiography angle. Minor sport collectors have done little of the documentation that exists for other areas of the hobby, even niches that are equally small or smaller (non-sport N cards have a wealth of secondary documentation, for example, although less collectors as 2 cards of equal rarity picturing a boxer and an actress will have the boxer sell for many multiples more with more bidders). I am happy to have a copy of Jones; it's easy to get a lot wrong when you are the first to do something, especially in the period before wide use of the internet and iPhones that make sharing images easy. Adam's book is leaps and bounds better and I still frequently use my copy (I think the 2nd most recent version) when I come across stuff outside my main focus. I can't remember the last time I came across a card from a set that isn't in there somewhere. Pretty much all of the online sources are similar to these two books though lacking some of the more obscure sets, or are littered with clear errors and don't really add to what is contained within Adam's catalog. I hope he continues to put out updated editions as we are unlikely to ever have a better general catalog and guide to the entirety of vintage boxing cards.

I have several notebooks worth of notations from my teen years just trying to catalog the basic sets of N/T/E boxing and recording the details, plus hundreds of pages of digital files, photo archives, records form other collectors, primary source documents, and more notes from more recent years. I have begun compiling them into an academic style book-like work on the E and T sets only, perhaps expanded to include the N series but I know much less there and am reluctant to ever claim authority. What I really want to do is put out a free .pdf book-like work with full citations and including all the information known to me so I can open it all up to peer review and audit, as I have surely made errors and am missing many puzzle pieces of evidence.

It might be too big of an ask of the hobby to read what will probably end up at over a 300 page manuscript before images are added, covering just a handful of sets E75-E80, T9/T218-T229. I finished the draft of the much shorter E section, but am rather dissatisfied with the quality of evidence for the caramel issues - I have been able to produce little in the way of primary source documents that we have produced in abundance in recent years from the pages of the United States Tobacco Journal and other sources and we don't have recent discoveries like the T220 sheet that completely shift our understanding of production, timeframes, process, and how their makers operated and produced these cards. It's at least a lot of fun to take a trip through my old notebooks and get things organized so I can find what I am looking for in less than 3 hours.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:52 AM
Dave

Quote:
Thank you, really. I don't want to totally hijack this board into a focus on my favored sets or be annoying with all the pedantic details lol

I like the historiography angle. Minor sport collectors have done little of the documentation that exists for other areas of the hobby, even niches that are equally small or smaller (non-sport N cards have a wealth of secondary documentation, for example, although less collectors as 2 cards of equal rarity picturing a boxer and an actress will have the boxer sell for many multiples more with more bidders). I am happy to have a copy of Jones; it's easy to get a lot wrong when you are the first to do something, especially in the period before wide use of the internet and iPhones that make sharing images easy. Adam's book is leaps and bounds better and I still frequently use my copy (I think the 2nd most recent version) when I come across stuff outside my main focus. I can't remember the last time I came across a card from a set that isn't in there somewhere. Pretty much all of the online sources are similar to these two books though lacking some of the more obscure sets, or are littered with clear errors and don't really add to what is contained within Adam's catalog. I hope he continues to put out updated editions as we are unlikely to ever have a better general catalog and guide to the entirety of vintage boxing cards.

I have several notebooks worth of notations from my teen years just trying to catalog the basic sets of N/T/E boxing and recording the details, plus hundreds of pages of digital files, photo archives, records form other collectors, primary source documents, and more notes from more recent years. I have begun compiling them into an academic style book-like work on the E and T sets only, perhaps expanded to include the N series but I know much less there and am reluctant to ever claim authority. What I really want to do is put out a free .pdf book-like work with full citations and including all the information known to me so I can open it all up to peer review and audit, as I have surely made errors and am missing many puzzle pieces of evidence.

It might be too big of an ask of the hobby to read what will probably end up at over a 300 page manuscript before images are added, covering just a handful of sets E75-E80, T9/T218-T229. I finished the draft of the much shorter E section, but am rather dissatisfied with the quality of evidence for the caramel issues - I have been able to produce little in the way of primary source documents that we have produced in abundance in recent years from the pages of the United States Tobacco Journal and other sources and we don't have recent discoveries like the T220 sheet that completely shift our understanding of production, timeframes, process, and how their makers operated and produced these cards. It's at least a lot of fun to take a trip through my old notebooks and get things organized so I can find what I am looking for in less than 3 hours.
I hope you will be able to put it all together one day Greg. It would be another great resource for the hobby.

Don't think to yourself that it ever has to be perfectly free of errors or all-encompassing to put out. You can build on it as the years go on and more information comes out. I would think you have a pretty solid foundation to build on as it is.

With the detailed work you've done, I'd imagine you could put out specialty guides just on individual sets.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 10-30-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:11 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I hope you will be able to put it all together one day Greg. I would be another great resource for the hobby.

Don't think to yourself that it ever has to be perfectly free of errors or all-encompassing to put out. You can build on it as the years go on and more information comes out. I would think you have a pretty solid foundation to build on as it is.

With the detailed work you've done, I'd imagine you could put out specialty guides just on individual sets.
I think I will have a work 'finished' in a couple months compiling what can be proven on all the T card sets and their histories. The joy of digital is updates are easy as new things are found every year. Sometimes the hardest part is deciphering what the heck I wrote by pen 15 years ago . I hope it will prove useful to someone, it kind of serves no purpose just sitting on my devices.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:24 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And to get myself on topic, some new pickups. Thanks to the member that sent these along. I had intially planned to skip the N28/N29/N43's as they are not a primarily boxing set and the high cost of the baseball players while being relatively common cards makes a set hard for me to justify. I'm sticking with a set of the boxers for now, and probably the marksmen. This batch brings me 2 cards shy of the N28/29's, missing Jimmy Carroll and Jack McGee. It is nice to build a set with cards that are readily available again.

Edwards and Dempsey, as T220 subjects, are my favorites. Edwards is depicted with jet black hair and mustache on his T220, but very differently here. The photograph used for this card is on his N174, N332, and is also the parent source for the art on his T220 card. I believe Edwards was the only fighter in the set who was not really an active boxer at the time of issue; he put on exhibitions but doesn't appear to me from the records to have been seriously boxing anymore - he was in his mid 40's. His N43 is near the top of my N card wants now. I have the advertising poster cut and the proper N29, so that leaves the N43 and the N29 album cut (I doubt I want to compete with the baseball guys for a full album).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (187.5 KB, 434 views)
Old 10-30-2023, 01:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You just have to take a deep breath and dive in and publish. Then find and fix mistakes and add new stuff. If it was easy and static, there'd be no need to study it. I freely solicit corrections and additions to my work. What I know is a small subset of what I could know. It definitely (and it should) keeps me humble.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-30-2023, 02:31 PM
Arthur R!ch

Not to mention the wealth of good your resource will do in the getting rare cards slabbed by PSA department. It would be nice to be able to get Gillis slabbed.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 10-30-2023, 03:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
Not to mention the wealth of good your resource will do in the getting rare cards slabbed by PSA department. It would be nice to be able to get Gillis slabbed.

Arthur
Yeah, there's that aspect of it. I hear that SGC will now slab the 1955 AASC premiums based on my research, so get those Marciano's in there. Must be literally a handful of them...

Or not...
Old 10-30-2023, 09:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You just have to take a deep breath and dive in and publish. Then find and fix mistakes and add new stuff. If it was easy and static, there'd be no need to study it. I freely solicit corrections and additions to my work. What I know is a small subset of what I could know. It definitely (and it should) keeps me humble.
Good advice. There will be much missing, but I'm close to exhausted on my resources for the 'known unknowns'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post

Arthur
I like picking up Gillis' on the cheap alongside the others . Hopefully PSA will stop mixing up T218 and T219 soon...
Old 11-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Thank you to Jerry for this one. McGee finished my N29 subset a week after I picked up the rest of them. Ginter's that all have the same back with a nice front and some paper loss from album removal on back are the sweet spot for me of looks vs. dollars. Only need a Jimmy Carroll now to finish the mini Ginter boxing run. This has been a fun subset to do on the side this year while waiting for stuff from my wheelhouses to show up. Bumping the N43's up my priority list now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1744.jpg (207.2 KB, 414 views)
Old 11-03-2023, 06:59 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Congrats, Greg! That is a beautiful classic set.

Thank you for continuing to post your awesome early boxing card research.

Last edited by Jerry G; 11-03-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:42 AM

Old 11-04-2023, 01:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nice Dundee. Same pose as one of his strip cards.

Or not...
Old 11-04-2023, 04:22 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2023, 12:29 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Congrats, Greg! That is a beautiful classic set.

Thank you for continuing to post your awesome early boxing card research.
Thank you sir!

And, a new Dundee card I got this week to follow the theme. Not as cool as the above photo, and more modern than I usually go, but won on a whim for ~$25, which seemed like a good price for a cool uncut strip. Shame that part of Leonard's head is missing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1750.jpg (214.7 KB, 404 views)
Old 11-06-2023, 03:07 PM

Took the Dundee out of the frame. Back has some fun notes on it.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Very cool. I love press used photos.

Or not...
Old 11-27-2023, 11:59 AM

Old 11-30-2023, 08:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Got these a few weeks ago thanks to GFG, the tougher orientations of each subject. My last pickups for the year. Moran is my favorite, as Benny Kaufman didn't make the classic T sets I love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1745.jpg (192.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:55 PM
Mike Henry

I'm not a boxing collector, but my stepmom gave me some of her old keepsakes, and this cool piece was in there.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's a fun piece!

Or not...
Old 12-11-2023, 04:49 PM
Jeff P

Hi all!

Looking for very early professional wrestling items from before pro wrestling became more entertainment than sport. Think Frank Gotch, Farmer Burns, etc.

Looking for cabinets, postcards, etc. from the 1800s through early 1900s.

jeff
Old 12-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post

Cool posters. Some great names. I’ve seen a few a those guys live and they are great especially Andre the Giant. Wrestling isn’t what it used to be. We really miss having exciting current wrestlers.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post

Cool posters. Some great names. I’ve seen a few a those guys live and they are great especially Andre the Giant. Wrestling isn’t what it used to be. We really miss having exciting current wrestlers.

Old 12-17-2023, 08:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Big Bob Duncum snd Johnny Rodz sound like porn names.

Or not...
Old 12-17-2023, 08:15 AM
Dave

Quote:
Big Bob Duncum snd Johnny Rodz sound like porn names.

There's a very fine line between picking your porn name and your wrestling name.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:04 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I was supposed to be done for the year but I was a naughty boy and saw an advantageous opportunity to pick up a batch of Tolstoi's at a price that nets me 1 I need, will let me send a couple gratis to pals, and then sell the rest to make what I paid back and make my Hatranft free.

Hartranft is the score, as he puts me at 49 out of the 50 possible Tolstoi cards in hand. More importantly, he also puts me at 631/632 of the total possible cards for a true T218 master set; I was fortunate to manage to pick up the absolute toughest combinations which are actually in the Mecca run before the deep stretch of the Tolstoi run while I was building the checklist and figuring out what I was actually chasing. I only need a Jack Goodman Tolstoi back to finish this thing. Anyone want to trade a Jack Goodman for 2 Tolstoi's, in their favor? Send over your wantlists if you are collecting Tolstoi backs, most of the dupes will be for trade/sale/etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1939.jpg (224.9 KB, 277 views)
Old 01-15-2024, 05:20 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Any idea how rare the 1928 James Braddock / graham double sided exhibit is?

I believe the 1925 champion exhibits Dempsey is pretty scarce as well but maybe probably not quite as much…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3319.jpg (183.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3320.jpg (197.7 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3317.jpg (200.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 02-10-2024, 08:50 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Picked up Iron Mike auto on commemorative coin -1995IMG_5948.jpg

Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:27 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Stretching the definition of a recent pick-up, but I bought these months ago and had COMC finally ship them not too long ago and finally got around to sorting everything into my collection. When I see old boxing for .50 to $1, I tend to just buy it even if I don't know much of anything about it, that's a fun price to just accumulate old stuff of champions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2138.jpg (198.1 KB, 178 views)
Old 02-15-2024, 01:53 PM
Dave

LOL, nice Ingemar's.

Thanks to about a 5 year span in Sweden and some of it's neighboring countries, and taking Muhammad Ali and modern rainbow variations out of the mix...Ingemar Johansson probably had more different cards produced of him than any other boxer in the hobby.

Floyd Patterson might be in 2nd place...just because of his affiliation with Johansson.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
LOL, nice Ingemar's.

Thanks to about a 5 year span in Sweden and some of it's neighboring countries, and taking Muhammad Ali and modern rainbow variations out of the mix...Ingemar Johansson probably had more different cards produced of him than any other boxer in the hobby.

Floyd Patterson might be in 2nd place...just because of his affiliation with Johansson.
After seeing just how many different Ingemar photos there are from just Dutch Gum alone, I am not surprised to learn this lol
Old 02-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And an 1889 N269 card from Lorillard's, with the Ballin & Liebler credit that I got this week. Personally, I think Mr. Pendergast's sweet mustache is more impressive than any won/loss record in the boxing ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N269 Pendergast.jpg (78.6 KB, 170 views)
Old 02-16-2024, 06:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yeah, the guys in that era had some serious face furniture. You could do a collection of them. Actually I did...

John C Heenan:

Paddy Ryan:

Joe Goss:

George Godfrey:

The Great John L.

Richard K. Fox:

IMHO Goss wins that contest. I don't even know how you eat with a crumb catcher like that over your mouth.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-16-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Now those are some 'staches. It's just not the same these days when our champions don't have extravagant facial hair
Old 02-17-2024, 12:43 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Broke my normal pattern to win these three. I don't care about slabs and bust free anything that isn't in my trade bait box, so I usually don't win anything graded over a 3. The silvers are my favorite set, and I'm building a couple sets of it, one as nice as I can get and one as beater as I can get (which is a ton of fun to do and incredibly cheap).

This set was listed last year, I won the James J. Corbett and since then the others have slowly sold. The final ones were put up at auction instead of BIN's, I put in what I thought of as lowball bids on everything, under the previously sold cards by a fair bit. Erne was $103, Carney $126, Choyinski $271. I thought I might get Erne because the card is obviously short.

This set has sequentially serialized PSA slabs (James J. Corbett's is different) and has been the registry set for a long time. I've assumed the cards came from a find of 24 cards (there was no Donovan in this set), presumably from a scrapbook based on some of the backs, but I don't know. Some size variance is normal in T220 silver; I don't fully understand why (because of the large margins on the sheet above and below the cards), but naturally short top/bottom cards tend to be those in the top row, especially Jordan. This Erne, in hand, is very short. Erne is also a top row card (the others are Frayne, Burke, and the James J. Corbett extreme SP rarity) and frequently found short top/bottom, but this is a bit extreme of a variance and it gives me some doubts this collection is unaltered.

I figured I'd throw them into my trade bait bin if I won anything, but I might crack them all out for my set now as I am not confident these are unaltered, it is very difficult to examine them properly without being able to directly handle, and I do not believe 2 of them to be accurate grades. I tend to find most cards graded in this set to be 1-2 grades inflated, they are very very generous on this issue and forgiving of corner damage, slight missing paper at corners, and even tiny corner creases. I would call my set mostly EX/EX-MT now, with a couple VG/EX's the graders would call 5-6 and a VG Donovan. The Choyinski here is the closest to an actual 7 if unaltered. They are still very nice condition and would go well in my main set of silvers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2154.jpg (213.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Carney 7.jpg (46.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Choyinski 7.jpg (49.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Erne 7.jpg (56.7 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by G1911; 02-17-2024 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:44 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Owen Moran here makes for 42 out of the 50 Red Sun cards down. Realistically, I am only going to be able to go for a set of the 46 white boys. T226 probably has one of the more unusual sheet layouts, but I have made no success in deducing how this all worked at a production level.

Narrows my realistic want list down to just Jem Driscoll, Stanley Ketchell, Bert Keyes, and Harry Stone. I would like to eventually pick up a baseball type card just to go with the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (193.3 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-02-2024, 12:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And some more silvers. They will be cracked out shortly, and I knew the condition when I bought them, but the Burke has got to be one of the worst 4's I have seen in awhile from a 'reputable' grader. The top right corner is so dented that is missing a small piece of it. There is a deep creasing indent in all four sides, 1 of which is severe on the back. Probably why I got it for only $29
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2249.jpg (194.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2250.jpg (196.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2251.jpg (197.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

This one ran $635, which is a rather high price for a T219 Johnson in Good grade and I was hoping to get for a bit less. The green backs are somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5x tougher than the black backs though, and this puts me at 49/50 on them. I only need Willie Lewis with the Honest Long cut Green back and Jack Sullivan with a Miners Extra back before I am down to only some of the Red Cross cards to go. That's going to take decades to finish this 200 card master set....

Note that the T219 adds in his victory over Jeffries into the fight record. A lot of the cards have slight amendments to the text to shorten them a little bit, but only Jeffries and Johnson have additional information added to their cards from the source T218 write-ups. The Joe Jeannette oddly follows the Hassan 30 no series notation back, not the later corrected print runs even though the T219 is 8+ months later in the timeframe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2252.jpg (200.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2253.jpg (204.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-10-2024, 02:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Added 2 Coburn's to compete for my beater set I'm building alongside a very nice condition set, the PSA noting an imaginary variation and the GAI not noting the silver. The 1.5 seems awfully generous with those huge creases, the PSA 1 has a tear rather than a crease. I think the GAI is the one for my beater set.

It's been awhile since I've had a GAI slab to crack to open. I'm not a grading fan, but it seems to me the best holders ended up losing the grading battles of the 2000's. GAI took the black frame inserts people like with SGC and added the handy feature where the slip wraps around the top, and tells you the card, set and grade on top of the holder as well as the front, so that in a stack you can quickly pull a specific card out. Kind of surprised nobody later copied this idea. Beckett has the cases built like a tank for more protection, and more detailed grading, but has faded from their initial gains and is a smaller player even in modern now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coburn.jpg (197.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Had to get this one to go with the unique thin copy of the Muldoon I got last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2319.jpg (212.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-16-2024, 08:20 AM
John Wondowski

My new favorite boxing card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img376.jpg (193.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-16-2024, 08:42 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
My new favorite boxing card

That's a beauty. Wish PSA would have treated as such when they picked out the holder for it.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:24 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
That's a beauty. Wish PSA would have treated as such when they picked out the holder for it.
Truth. One of the few times I favor SGC’s holder.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
This one ran $635, which is a rather high price for a T219 Johnson in Good grade and I was hoping to get for a bit less. The green backs are somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5x tougher than the black backs though, and this puts me at 49/50 on them. I only need Willie Lewis with the Honest Long cut Green back and Jack Sullivan with a Miners Extra back before I am down to only some of the Red Cross cards to go. That's going to take decades to finish this 200 card master set....

Note that the T219 adds in his victory over Jeffries into the fight record. A lot of the cards have slight amendments to the text to shorten them a little bit, but only Jeffries and Johnson have additional information added to their cards from the source T218 write-ups. The Joe Jeannette oddly follows the Hassan 30 no series notation back, not the later corrected print runs even though the T219 is 8+ months later in the timeframe.
Got $8500 sitting around? You can have the Red Cross too.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...orn-expo-more/

Or not...
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Got $8500 sitting around? You can have the Red Cross too.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...orn-expo-more/
Do I have it sitting around? Yes!

Do I want to spend that much on a single boxing card? Yikes! But maybe! I've come close to that before.

Is this that boxing card? Probably not!

I don't think any of the batch will sell at those prices, but what do I know. I was interested enough to sign up for the early notice on it three years ago and still want it. Who knows which of us will end up with it. I doubt I will, the problem for me is the Johnson only has value to me as a set builder rather than an investment or Jack Johnson piece. It's the last T218/T219/C52 family Johnson I need for the master run. I'm confident David will get a very strong price for it