NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default New additions to the w590 Boxing Strip cards checklist???

Hey guys,

For the three people who may be interested in this, I purchased a group of strip cards that were in pretty rough shape—as is to be expected with strip cards. It was a mixed bag of w580 and w590 cards. In the scan below, you will see a Jack Dempsey, which has been catalogued before. However, there are 3 other w590 boxers (and one card of strongman Siegmund Breitbart—famous in Jewish forklore) that I have never seen before, so I figured I would share them with you. They are w590 cards of Joe Lynch, Jack Bernstein and Sid Terris—at least I think they are w590 (Adam, please correct me if I am wrong). As was the case with me, I am not sure if anyone else has them on their w590 checklists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B-WSTRIPBOXERS.jpg (78.1 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 08-27-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yep, the three will add to the checklist the next time out, though coincidentally I picked up Terris at the National ($3) from a dealer who had no idea what it was; basically any fighter he'd not heard of was $3, regardless of set, condition or anything else.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-28-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Alan Zimmerman

$3?!?! I HAVE to make my way out to the national next year. I LOVE boxing card collecting. I can actually afford it!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Default some better scans of the dempsey cards

see scans below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dempseyfront0001.jpg (73.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg dempseyback0001.jpg (72.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default w590 checklist

Here's an initial attempt at putting together an updated checklist for the boxing cards in this tough multi-sport strip card set. I've only got 18 boxers listed. Not sure if there were any more included in the set.

You can see some smaller scans in the initial post to this thread, and I have also posted some larger scans of Jack Dempsey in the post above this one. I'll include some better images as I get further along in collecting this set.

As always, if you have anything to add, please do.

w590 checklist:

Paul Berlenbach
Jack Bernstein HAVE
George Carpentier
Jack Dempsey HAVE
Johnny Dundee HAVE
Luis Firpo
Frankie Genaro
Abe Goldstein
Harry Greb
Jack Johnson
Benny Leonard
Joe Lynch HAVE
Mike McTigue HAVE
Jack Renault
Sid Terris HAVE
Gene Tunney
Mickey Walker
Harry Wills

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 09-09-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM

If this checklist is still accurate ... this means that it is possible that Goldstein and Renault were mistakenly attributed to the W580 set when they shouldn't have been ... BUT Owen Moran, Tommie Ryan, and Jimmy Wilde are not listed in either set.

Does anyone have a w590 card of Owen Moran, Tommie Ryan or Jimmy Wilde?

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Default W580 Tommy Ryan

It has been a while since I visited these sets (w580 and w590) but this worthpoint link is the only reference I have ever seen to Tommy Ryan in either set. I used to have the image saved but this was three computers ago. I also abandoned collecting these sets but I could be willing to dive in again. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...garettes-tommy
Old 01-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Strollers is a type card I'd love to stumble across.

Although I've published it repeatedly people and especially graders do not seem to understand that there was a W580 parallel tobacco issue in Siam [Thailand]. Here is a side by side of a Siamese card [L] and a W580:

Besides the obvious cutting differences--the Siamese cards are machine cut--the other key differentiating factor is the card stock. The Siamese cards are printed on a thin white stock with a finished front and back, so both sides are white-ish and there is some gloss to the fronts. They feel like E120 and related E issues. W580s are made of chipboard with one side finished and there is normally no gloss apparent. W580s are also nominally thicker and coarser than the Siamese cards.

A final good indicator is where the cards come from. The Siamese cards were almost certainly a British tobacco issue for export ciggies, so they are often found from UK sellers. I've also picked up several groups from Thailand and Malaysia and Singapore.

In terms of rarity, the Siamese cards are many, many times more difficult to find than the W580s. I would classify them as equivalent in rarity to T219 Red Cross. They are the sort of card you stumble across.

Hunting these down in eBay is also tricky. In scans it is often tough to tell whether a card is just really nicely cut or a Siamese card. The grading companies do not know the difference, though I plan to send SGC and PSA an explanatory memo when I post a version of this to my blog.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Strollers is a type card I'd love to stumble across.

Although I've published it repeatedly people and especially graders do not seem to understand that there was a W580 parallel tobacco issue in Siam [Thailand]. Here is a side by side of a Siamese card [L] and a W580:

Besides the obvious cutting differences--the Siamese cards are machine cut--the other key differentiating factor is the card stock. The Siamese cards are printed on a thin white stock with a finished front and back, so both sides are white-ish and there is some gloss to the fronts. They feel like E120 and related E issues. W580s are made of chipboard with one side finished and there is normally no gloss apparent. W580s are also nominally thicker and coarser than the Siamese cards.

A final good indicator is where the cards come from. The Siamese cards were almost certainly a British tobacco issue for export ciggies, so they are often found from UK sellers. I've also picked up several groups from Thailand and Malaysia and Singapore.

In terms of rarity, the Siamese cards are many, many times more difficult to find than the W580s. I would classify them as equivalent in rarity to T219 Red Cross. They are the sort of card you stumble across.

Hunting these down in eBay is also tricky. In scans it is often tough to tell whether a card is just really nicely cut or a Siamese card. The grading companies do not know the difference, though I plan to send SGC and PSA an explanatory memo when I post a version of this to my blog.
Great information, Adam, as usual. I was fortunate to complete the "known" set of 60 cards in both versions (Siam and regular) and can attest to the difficulty in tracking down the Siam cards before selling them both. I might have been missing a card or two in each but between the 2 I probably had 117/120 and one complete "set" between the two. I think I might give it a whirl again. I cannot wait to read your blog post on the subject.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Very sorry to bump this old thread, but I am wondering if this is the Jack Johnson from the W590 set. Can anyone confirm this please.

Thanks a lot

Attached Images
File Type: jpg W590 Johnson.jpg (6.6 KB, 64 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like a W590.

Or not...