NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T206 Moeller (Raw) with a Pencil Mark

I went to a local show yesterday, in Grapevine Texas, and picked up this beauty along with 20 other raw, common T206s. Not pristine but just nice looking cards. Of course none will grade above a 4 (or so) so this isn't going to be a big time pick up. That said, we have had discussions about different alterations blah blah blah. So why not a real world one we can discuss? This card has a pencil mark on back. I have a trusty Mars plastic eraser on my desk that I will probably use on it. It isn't a crime to do that, unless you say you didn't, although some consider it sacrilegious and I can see that point too. So getting the "it is fraud" discussion out of the way, is it ok to erase this mark? If I then submit it what happens if it later gets found with the mark and then, graded, it doesn't have it? And actually, for sake of discussion, that mark might hold it back up to 2 grades!! I could see it being a 1 to 1.5 with the mark and a 2.5?-3 without it. Yikes. Real world issue on a 35 buck card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206a.jpg (56.5 KB, 406 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 AM
pete ullman

Personally i have no problem with erasing...id surmise many times there will still be traces remaining...BUT...with that fat left border...this card could become perfectly centered with a little help!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Is there any reason the pencil lead will further damage the card over time?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

I personally couldn't care less about an erasure like that if done with a high quality art eraser.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Scott Russell

Erasure doesn't bother me personally, but I understand why it bothers some. The PA find that had been posted here a while back that I ended up auctioning off had pencil on over half the cards. I did not remove because of the differing opinions on such removal. I am sure many of them are clean today.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Cool find....

Leon,

No issues here with the eraser method but after you have finished, it will be interesting to view the results and the complete "Moeller Report" hahhahahahahahah

Peace, Mike
Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Jamie

if any markings on a card are erased the card can received a grade no higher then Authentic as it is viewed as being altered.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Barry Sloate

I say you can erase it and still sleep well at night. If we made a list of all the possible alterations that could be done to a baseball card, this minor improvement would be among the least. And it's so minor that I will say it is acceptable.

A bigger question is if you decide to sell it, are you obligated to disclose the erasure? And my answer is I don't know.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
if any markings on a card are erased the card can received a grade no higher then Authentic as it is viewed as being altered.
+1 There have been a lot of really silly(IMHO) ways of saying altered cards are not altered lately.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I get the discussion more on the postcard side, since it was a regular occurrence for postcard dealers to write the price on the back of the card. Dealers would buy a collection, erase one seller's prices, and replace with theirs.
This mark, to me, is interesting because it shows that the person who owned it was likely trying to complete the set. "451" may signify the owner's order in adding it to his T206 collection.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:13 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Beautiful card, Leon...with or without the number on the back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Kin K.

My guess is that you picked them up from Roger. :-)
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 05-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
+1 There have been a lot of really silly(IMHO) ways of saying altered cards are not altered lately.
At some point, in my opinion, stuff is so de minimis as to be unimportant. I don't think Leon's playing word or definition games here, I think he's just of the view -- as am I, and Barry, and others I assume -- that it's trivial.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I can't wait to bid on that Moeller card 6 months from now in a PWCC auction, graded a PSA 8.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:42 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Is it okay because there is no surface gloss on a T206? If this was on a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr would erasing the pencil still be okay?

This goes to the detectable/undetectable issue as well as the additional damage to the card issue. Does it matter based on the value of the card? If it is alteration on a Baltimore Ruth to remove the pencil mark, shouldn't it be the same on a $50 card?

If the intent is to only remove the pencil mark, it doesn't meet the standard definition of conservation, so I would still call it alteration.

Full dislosure: I used a bad eraser to try and remove a price off the 1939 Cobb HOF postcard, but once it started smearing I left the price on it. PSA graded it a 4 with no qualifiers. It should have, at a minimum, got a 4(MK).
Old 05-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder19 View Post
Maybe at PSA, SGC will grade it if the erasure isn't badly done.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

If it was me, I wouldn't grade the card. I don't see it being any better than maybe g-vg because of the crease. The number on the back doesn't bother me at all, I'd leave it mostly out of laziness.

I've shown this one recently, but it's really appropriate here. When I asked SGC at a show about the grade, they pointed out the erased number on the back, which kept it from being a bit better than a 40. I've had it since maybe 1980, and never noticed it till they pointed it out.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Dave Fa*st

I don’t really consider someone erasing pencil marks as a horrible thing. Ill do it and have done it. That said, if someone has wrote their name or its some notations as to the player, position, etc. then I’d rather leave it. If it’s complete chicken scratch, then I’d erase.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At some point, in my opinion, stuff is so de minimis as to be unimportant. I don't think Leon's playing word or definition games here, I think he's just of the view -- as am I, and Barry, and others I assume -- that it's trivial.
OK Peter I will play. Is it trivial to you because of the value or because 90%+ of T206 cards have had something done to them?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Joe

If it wasn’t on the card when it was originally printed then it’s not a problem to remove it.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:46 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
If it wasn’t on the card when it was originally printed then it’s not a problem to remove it.
That would make the use of chemicals, etc OK...by your definition...to remove stains, etc.

What about Cracker jacks...they weren't printed with the stains on them...this occurred in the box?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
That would make the use of chemicals, etc OK...by your definition...to remove stains, etc.

What about Cracker jacks...they weren't printed with the stains on them...this occurred in the box?
How about this scenario Pete: You're sorting your raw T-206's on the kitchen table when you decide to take a break for lunch. While eating your meatball hero you spill tomato sauce all over your green Cobb. Is it ethical to remove the sauce off the card?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:58 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
How about this scenario Pete: You're sorting your raw T-206's on the kitchen table when you decide to take a break for lunch. While eating your meatball hero you spill tomato sauce all over your green Cobb. Is it ethical to remove the sauce off the card?
Is that even possible to remove the ragoooo?????
Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Barry Sloate

Tomato sauce would blend well into a red Cobb, but not so well with a greenie. Maybe pesto would be better.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:06 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Tomato sauce would blend well into a red Cobb, but not so well with a greenie. Maybe pesto would be better.
garlic aioli on the bat on????
Old 05-26-2019, 07:20 PM

There once was a Moeller with mark,
In the daylight it seemed somewhat dark,
With polymer erasion, I removed the abrasion,
And now they say I’m a card shark.

I have done it a couple times--including, coincidentally, on a T206 Moeller. No harm, no foul as far as I am concerned. It's kind of like running the vacuum over the carpet in front of the couch after the Super Bowl to remove Tostitos.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I personally couldn't care less about an erasure like that if done with a high quality art eraser.
Agree
Old 05-26-2019, 11:33 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
There once was a Moeller with mark,
In the daylight it seemed somewhat dark,
With polymer erasion, I removed the abrasion,
And now they say I’m a card shark.

I have done it a couple times--including, coincidentally, on a T206 Moeller. No harm, no foul as far as I am concerned. It's kind of like running the vacuum over the carpet in front of the couch after the Super Bowl to remove Tostitos.
You vacuum?????? You must be married!!! Lol!

I liked the poem...or limerick?

Peace, Mike

My shot at 2 in the morn with a few beers in me!

Moeller was marked with #2
Not really as bad as Ragu
So Leon in haste
Got rid of the waste
Now Moeller is just about new

Last edited by vthobby; 05-26-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes sir and here are the others too which will soon be listed in the BST. I will let the future owner of the group decide what to do on the pencil mark. The "Moeller Report" was kind of catchy, nice one!
I would probably, not positively, erase the pencil if it were in my collection. Sort of undecided on it. My thinking is these were from an older collection as they were in tobacco penny sleeves inside of cardsavers and the sleeves have made their familiar impressions on them. I ousted the old sleeves.
All Sweet Cap and Piedy with a plate scratch on the back of Donohue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post
My guess is that you picked them up from Roger. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206x9.jpg (71.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg t206x12.jpg (75.1 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-27-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:51 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes sir and here are the others too which will soon be listed in the BST. I will let the future owner of the group decide what to do on the pencil mark. The "Moeller Report" was kind of catchy, nice one!
I would probably, not positively, erase the pencil if it were in my collection. Sort of undecided on it. My thinking is these were from an older collection as they were in tobacco penny sleeves inside of cardsavers and the sleeves have made their familiar impressions on them. I ousted the old sleeves.
All Sweet Cap and Piedy with a plate scratch on the back of Donohue.
What impact had the sleeves had on the cards?

Old 05-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

None I could tell. Here are larger scans of some of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
What impact had the sleeves had on the cards?

Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
None I could tell. Here are larger scans of some of them...

Guess I misunderstood/misread what you meant by the sleeves making their familiar impressions on them. They are a nice looking group.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:34 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Personally, I'd leave the mark. Then again I'm a history nerd. I feel like when I buy raw cards I'm buying them exactly as is and erasing something that meant something to the previous owner is like potentially erasing history. Never know what that 457 could have meant to the previous owners (assuming they weren't crooks).
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I meant impressions on the cardsavers. Of course I am biased but it is a clean looking group and has found a new home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Guess I misunderstood/misread what you meant by the sleeves making their familiar impressions on them. They are a nice looking group.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:00 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default erasure

I think erasing it would be fine, but if you changed it to a "454" with your pencil, I'd consider that altered.

Nice snag!
Geno