NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2001, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default How's Everyone Doing?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'm back from a long absence from bulletin boards (Not that I was missed . . .). I'll start out with a few observations about this thing of ours (gad, I miss the Sopranos):

1. Don't you hate it when you buy an item that you think is really tough, rare or well priced and you see the same thing the next week for half? Just got my second T206 Gandil, for 1/2 of what I paid for the first.

2. The economy really seems to be softening up the card market. I've posted some real screamers for sale and had no bites, and I've lowballed some nice cards and gotten them.

3. Why are people so rude lately? I have had some sellers come at me like gangbusters over a late pay. Just today, I was on the receiving end of a first reminder e-mail from some jerk who offered to have me criminally prosecuted. This was the first contact too. I told him to stuff the card; who cares about a little negative feedback, as long as you can explain it.

4. Anyone get that 1928 Exhibit set in Lipset's auction yesterday?

Old 10-25-2001, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The market is a little softer as seen by the prices realized recently. Heck, I even got one lot in the Lipset for 2 rungs below my max bid....as I was not staying up to have a "dualing money" situation. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and it was the wrong size. This (soft market) is all true EXPCEPT when at least 2 people want something "real" bad. I have had this same discussion several times in the last few days with fellow collectors. I personally know of 2 high profile lots in auctions where this happened very recently. So there you have it....my summation...soft unless........
best regards

Old 10-25-2001, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< This (soft market) is all true EXPCEPT when at least 2 people want something "real" bad. I have had this same discussion several times in the last few days with fellow collectors. >>

I will agree that the market, as a whole, is a bit soft however in certain sectors it appears to be very healthy. Recently I sold a York Ruth SGC 70 for $2750. BTW, for all those holder-haters, that card would not have realized that price unless it was slabbed. The highest graded by PSA and SGC, people embrace those statistics. Conversely, a recent Mastro auction had a pair of '33 Ruths in PSA 9 that just tanked - I doubt those will reach the levels they once commanded.

Old 10-25-2001, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Heck, I even got one lot in the Lipset for 2 rungs below my max bid....>>

Leon, I did great in Lipset as well. Success in About Time also, but none at Clean Sweep. I was chasing the N28 Anson SGC 88 - took it to $7132 (w/ juice) and eventually was outbid just past 1am.

Old 10-26-2001, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I got shut out in Lipset's auction again [I should just tape that and store it somewhere for future use! ]

I agree that the market has softened somewhat. Many of the lots in the Lipset auction I was looking at went for less than I thought they would.

But someone paid $28,000+ (before the juice!) for the lot of 6 Old Judge Chicago Maroons. Can that possibly be right? If so and someone who reads this board knows the buyer, send me his/her name. I've got a friend who has a few. I'm sure he'd love to sell at that price!

Old 10-26-2001, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I was not the buyer but I might be interested in the cards. Which Maroon player cards does he have?