NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Brian Goldner

At this moment, I like the old Flip better than the new one.
That being said, I haven't yet seen the new Flip in person.

I'm hoping that over time, the new design will grow on me.

In any event, regardless of the changes, SGC has my unconditional full support.

What is of primary importance to me is the world class grading expertise that the Company provides.

The Flip design is by comparison, is not much more than a footnote.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Jimmy

Default New SGC Look?

SGC would just need to use the same color green for the border, the Photoshop examples are great - and there should be no reason why they could not add the border. I was going to get some cards graded this weekend at our local show. I will talk with SGC in person and see what they may have in mind. If they do not make a change I will just have to mix cards up that I sell with older holders and PSA and more ungraded cards. I have studied sales and changes with both companies for a few years. I had wanted to work with just one company for my website, which is one reason I have been holding back on buying too much. Now that my website is completed, I have started to think about just using SGC for cards and autos; this will make me think even more and will hold up sales and finishing my website with consistent product. I may as well go back to a mix of everything - very frustrating

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I didn't take it that way. I took it that he was saying we should make our own decisions based on our own thoughts, and not follow what others say for the sake of following, but maybe I am under a false apprehension?
Leon, why must it be assumed that everybody that spoke out against the new SGC flip was "following the leader?"

I didn't read the whole "new SGC look" discussion before formulating my opinion. I saw the change. I thought it was ugly, and I stated my opinion. It just so happened that most everybody else who took the time to state their opinion felt the same waY I did.

When I buy a card, I consider only the card itself. Once I acquire the card, though, the flip and slab are very important. The SGC flip + slab combination that has been used up until now was, in my opinion, was the most attractive in the hobby...by far. Now they are changing it. Nobody has a problem with their changing it. We have a problem because what they are changing it to is far less appealing.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Besides the work around, anyone able to check their submissions?

Also, did they kill off their message boards?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Brian Goldner

Yes, You are able to see Your submissions.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Besides the work around, anyone able to check their submissions?

Also, did they kill off their message boards?
Ted, I did a few searches for it last night, and couldn't find it. Maybe it's just not up yet, I don't know.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Bill Gregory

For the sake of comparison:

The old slab + flip:

The proposed flip:

The proposed flip if it had a green border:

Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Tell me that Ryan flip is just a mockup. No way in heckfire that is a NM/NM+ card!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
For the sake of comparison:

The old slab + flip:

The proposed flip:

The proposed flip if it had a green border:

I chose the proposed flip with green border! Just saying
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Robert

And that is the ugliest SGC 92 Ryan I have ever seen ........lol.......you can tell its just for display.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Default Poll

Would someone please add a simple poll with examples of flip a) proposed new design and flip b) new design with green border? I'm on my phone and am not sure if I can post the examples shown above for exemplars.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Had some fun playing around with flip designs. I'm far from an expert but I gave it a shot.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Kenny Cole

I vote top right
Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Robert

Dean I like selection 1 alot
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm sitting here in amazement at the irony of this thread and others.

Members chime in unison about the poor quality of the holders (any TPG) and rail on about fraudulent cards being placed in cracked holders and resold, holders (or gaskets) that don't hold the cards, or holders that are too thick or too thin.

Then the members in unison get all bent out of shape and chime in about a change in flips, whose sole purpose is to identify the card, certify its authenticity and assign an opinion regarding its condition.

And then when it comes to the cards themselves, members generally agree in unison and chime in with the Net54 mantra "Buy the card and not the holder".
If the holder and the flip are so (expletive deleted) important, more so than the card itself, isn't the mantra a bit hypocritical?

Furthermore these threads tend to promote behavior seen in lemmings with someone expressing their "personal" opinion (regarding the flip for example) and then the entire symphony orchestra feels compelled to respond in harmony.

Change is inevitable. Some will resist. Others will adapt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but following a leader in lockstep didn't work in Jonestown for the Koolaid drinkers.

Be independent, my friends, and don't get swept away by the wave of a Net54 thread. Maybe everyone should design a flip they would be happy with and post it. Do you think we would agree on which one is the best? I respectfully think not.
To me, there is no issue about buy the card, not the slab, because I already have the card. The issue is, should I decide to send it in for grading, what the card I ALREADY HAVE is going to look like in the new slab and flip. If I think its going to look like shit, then I don't suppose I'm going to be as willing to send it in to be graded as I used to be. Its just that simple. It isn't a lemming thing, its a "I think my card is going to look like shit in that holder with that flip" thing. Pretty simple Frank.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Dean I like top right. Although I would add their millions of SGC watermarks to it.

Personally I don't see the point of a watermark they have proposed. I mean really a watermark? It's 2014 it's not hard to forge a watermark, whereas at least PSA has a hologram going on in the back of their flip that is harder to forge than a bunch of watermarks.

Not trying to hate on SGC, they really are a great company. I'm just baffled by this move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Had some fun playing around with flip designs. I'm far from an expert but I gave it a shot.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 05-22-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Marty K.

Default Sgc flip

Just to go on record...I could live with the new flip but the forest green border is a must or I will be very disappointed......
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Mike
Did you see the new flip just posted above? It is anything but poorly done or 1990s, in my not so humble opinion. It looks very nice to me but would be even better with a green border. I am not OCD and don't care as much about the holders as I do the cards.....and realize it does matter more to many other collectors so am not pushing my thoughts on others. I am merely giving one opinion.
Hey Leon- it's fine for us to disagree...I'm a designer, and do have a pretty keen eye. the proposed (borderless) flip is not attractive. period. I cannot be convinced otherwise. SGC's customer service is top notch, and so is their grading...my comments are strictly about the new flip. adding a green border will help somewhat, but i stand by my comment that it looks very 1990's (see early CSA cards).

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-22-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Bryan M1ll3r

I'll throw in my two cents just in case SGC actually reads this.

The new, borderless flip looks like something I would print at home (i.e., cheap and unprofessional). I like how the original green border eases the stark contrast between the white label and black background. The bajillion SGC's on the new label aren't pretty either. I have a hard time believing that anyone with substantial graphic design experience could ever produce something so unappealing. In just a few minutes, members of this board have produced higher quality flips.

Also, I don't like the red for Authentic. Is green + Authentic not clear enough? I think the red is distracting and doesn't add any value.

I've asked a neutral third party who could careless about baseball cards and she ranks the flips accordingly (best to worst): old one, new one if it had a border, and new one without border.

I see the SGC holder's current appearance as a competitive advantage. I have no clue (even after reading the response from SGC) why they would mess with success. I'm sure there are some other aspects of their business that would be a much better investment of their time/money.

In summary: keep the old flip or go back to the drawing board with some new artists.

Last edited by Pythonfactory; 05-23-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Then SGC changed their flip this way
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly, my cards seem half of what they used to be
No green borders on the flips I see
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why the flip had to go I don't know they wouldn't say
Did I say something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, TPG was such an easy game to play
I liked S G C, not P S A

Why the flip had to change I don't know they wouldn't say

I liked S G C, not P S A
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-23-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonfactory View Post
I'll throw in my two cents just in case SGC actually reads this.

The new, borderless flip looks like something I would print at home (i.e., cheap and unprofessional). I like how the original green border eases the stark contrast between the white label and black background. The bajillion SGC's on the new label aren't pretty either. .

Have you seen the original flip? You couldn't print that at home?

From what I understand the multiple SGC in the background isn't printed. It is a water mark (based on what Leon stated originally before posting the new flip). Since we couldn't see it in the scan it looks like they showed us what it essentially would look like when you can see it. I don't know what technology you have at home but the fact that you can print security water marks at home, but were unable to do a green border on a white box seems strange to me.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Pau.l C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Have you seen the original flip? You couldn't print that at home?

From what I understand the multiple SGC in the background isn't printed. It is a water mark (based on what Leon stated originally before posting the new flip). Since we couldn't see it in the scan it looks like they showed us what it essentially would look like when you can see it. I don't know what technology you have at home but the fact that you can print security water marks at home, but were unable to do a green border on a white box seems strange to me.
What seems stranger to me was Sean's response that having the continuity of a green border, maintaining brand recognition and loyalty, would be "difficult and cluttered". I would think with all the talent and technology advance in the world in 2014 these issues could be resolved
Old 05-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Default Agree with the majority...

Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Then SGC changed their flip this way

Suddenly, my cards seem half of what they used to be
No green borders on the flips I see
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why the flip had to go I don't know they wouldn't say

I liked S G C, not P S A

Why the flip had to change I don't know they wouldn't say

I liked S G C, not P S A
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm

Nicely done McCartney!
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Ha Ha
Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Todd Schultz

I will give them some props for the red authentic label. I know some don't like it, but I think it helps someone presented with a stack or pile of cards to immediately sift out or hone in on the autographed cards. It draws the eye's attention, for sure.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I will give them some props for the red authentic label. I know some don't like it, but I think it helps someone presented with a stack or pile of cards to immediately sift out or hone in on the autographed cards. It draws the eye's attention, for sure.
I also like the red as it will stand out as opposed to the current holders.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post

I agree but I would put a border around it also.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-23-2014, 09:59 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I agree but I would put a border around it also.
If you put a green border around a red authentic it will look like a xmas card.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Bruce C@rter

Ill go on record saying that I could care less what it looks like. As long as it doesn't look like a 5 year old did it. I only care what the card looks like.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
If you put a green border around a red authentic it will look like a xmas card.

Hahaha I know. I was thinking the border would be red.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
Ill go on record saying that I could care less what it looks like. As long as it doesn't look like a 5 year old did it. I only care what the card looks like.
The initial pics did look that way, but the newer ones do not. I agree with you, it's no big deal and would have no effect at all on my decision to buy or submit a card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-23-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Last edited by CW; 10-06-2014 at 10:53 PM.