NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Mark

Default Legendary lot 1987 misidentified

Legendary insists that the image on this scorer is Smokey Joe Wood.

http://tinyurl.com/4unnqxa

I insist that it is not. It has no resemblance whatsoever to Wood, either subjectively or as to individual features. Though the quality is poor, most likely it is a R-L reversed image of Larry Gardner.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Mark, I saw that item just yesterday as I was browsing the catalog and immediately said to myself that doesn't look like Joe Wood--I didn't have any time to look up who it may have been but I agree it doesn't appear to be Joe Wood's image.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Matt Wieder

Mark - thanks for the heads-up. Please keep them coming!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks!!!

Thanks Mark. We all appreciate your endeavors. I hope Legendary will correct the description. best regards
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Jimmy

Not sure if Mark posted it before, but here's his February Mystery Photo supplement made for SABR's Pictorial History Committee newsletter.

http://www.sabr.org/cmsFiles/Files/Mysteryphoto2-11.pdf
Old 03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Joe Wood

I have to agree that this is not Joe Wood. I met Joe Wood decades ago at a show in Boston (1977 I think) at the Hotel 57 in downtown.
I also was very friendly with his son who was a wonderful friend and dealer at many shows.
An interesting story about Joe Wood was that at the last Suffolk Downs card show I attended Joe Wood's last car was on display and for sale!
What a wonderful piece of memorabilia that would be if I had the room!
I've been a Joe Wood fan forever and handled many of his cards. He is a true legend and hero to us!
Thanks for bringing this thread to our community!
Bill Hedin
Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Nailed it., Nice work Hawkeye.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Mark

Before I forget, I should give credit to another board member for being suspisious of this one and telling me about it.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 03-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Never changed...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Doug Allen

Default Scorer/Watch Fob

I just wanted to take a minute to address this.

In our opinion the identification of this not being Joe Wood or being Larry Gardner was not conclusive. To be honest I don't think it looks like either of them. Ya know maybe it is Joe Jackson!

Seriously tonight I emailed the concerns expressed to the winner of this lot and confirmed that he is welcome to return it for a full refund if he is dissatisfied in any way.

We are very attentive to trying to minimize the number of errors that occur when cataloging a 2,200 lot auction. I believe Leon and others will attest to the fact that we are pretty attentive to concerns that are raised and ultimately doing the right thing when errors or omissions are pointed out. Leon caught two this auction which resulted in one modification and one lot pulled.

I genuinely appreciate the support of people on this forum when it comes to responding to inquiries while we are cataloging (I frequently call Jay, Scott B. and Leon for help) and pointing our our mistakes when we make them.

Take care,
Doug Allen
President
Legendary Auctions
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen View Post
In our opinion the identification of this not being Joe Wood or being Larry Gardner was not conclusive. To be honest I don't think it looks like either of them.
Doug - if you don't think it looks like Joe Wood, why would you let the lot run to close with it being described that way? Even if the winning bidder is happy, the under-bidder might not have bid him up as much if it had been corrected.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Doug Allen

Matt,

The timing of my own personal observation (that it doesn't look like either of them) was 2 days ago when it was brought to my attention. Also the statement was a little tongue in cheek as I am always amazed how whenever someone sells an old 1905 cabinet on eBay they make an argument that players look like Joe Jackson or Honus Wagner.

In my judgement given the proximity to the end of the auction it was best to let the auction run its course and notify the winning bidder of the concerns.

In my opinion for less than $250 it is a great collectible for a Boston collector regardless of who the player is. I have not yet heard back from the winning bidder but as noted earlier he can return if for a full money back refund if he is unhappy with the piece.

Regards,
Doug
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Matt, You've got cojones... I appreciate you speaking up -Not that I bid at Legendary nor recommend them. Just wish more knowledgeable "senior" members would out this bullshat before another gets schmucker punched.

Doug, Doubtful you read this board often... After you work on Matt;'s question, Would you update help me out please? Do you believe transparency is essential in this current climate? Also,It seems to have faded away some. Was there ever a resolution to this past issue?:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...stro+legendary
Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Steve--Legendary has been running great auctions. The past is the past; these guys are doing a good job now. I have bid and won items in the last several auctions and am very happy with every aspect of the experience.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Doug Allen

Steve,

I do read the board often...in the early days I was a consistent contributor as I am actually pretty knowledgable about many of the pre-war issues but it got to the point it made no sense to participate based on the personal attacks.

I appreciate Jay's support and it is true that in our two years of existence we have handled over 20,000 items representing over $25 million in collectibles and in my humble opinion have done so in a professional manner. I know we have really enjoyed ourselves.

As to your question I do believe in transparency and honesty. That being said whether you or anyone likes it or not I will not address anything related to Mastro Auctions and in fact the NDA I signed when we did the asset purchase from them prohibits me from doing so.

Regards,
Doug
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Yea, What's past is past. Thankyou fellow board member, I get it now.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Steve--Legendary has been running great auctions. The past is the past; these guys are doing a good job now. I have bid and won items in the last several auctions and am very happy with every aspect of the experience.

Jay, I have to, respectfully, disagree. For many, until all the issues of the past are brought out, discussed, and answered, the past still has some bearing on the present.

While I agree that Legendary has been running great auctions for the past two years, many bidders will still hold against them the accusations lodged against Mastro. That may not be completely fair, but it is a fact. A symbolic name change, and a transfer of assets is not always a clean slate.

Besides, that "I'm not here to talk abou the past..." stuff rarely works well.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Mark

For the record, Legendary has been very responsive to correcting mis-ID's a bunch of times in the recent past. I did not notice this one myself, but I received emails from several people about it. Though it was not a high dollar item, since Doug did not want to change the description and because the item was getting some attention, I thought I should start this thread.

I looked at it carefully. I may not be good at much else, but I am pretty good at this. I can say that it is not Joe Wood, and it is likely Larry Gardner for a couple of very good reasons (I may post more deails later if anyone is interested). Doug and Legendary, of course, are entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 03-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.