NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Been so long

since I've seen a real rarity that I need to fill a gap in my collection. Ebay is S.O.S. every month. Yet I reflexively check it "just in case." Occasionally some really cool stuff on BST but it's been a while since I found a card I need. And most of the recent auctions have left me cold. Some cool stuff but nothing that doesn't come along with regularity at least as far as my interests. Even PWCC hasn't had something I need in a while.

Maybe it's not you it's me, as I've heard from more than a few females in my life (and never really believed).
Old 02-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Joshua

I've been a kid in the candy store last couple months. After scouring Ebay and here, I decided to reach out through Facebook groups, and bought some interesting pieces. Not one of a kind stuff, but pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by joshuanip; 02-27-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Larry

Hi, Steve.

You just have to be patient, as with the current growth in the hobby regarding demand for vintage cards (especially the rarest, most significant ones) due to the internet and a significant increase in the number of major auction houses featuring such material, more and more people are snapping them up. Just maintain your continuing searches. My opinion is that what you need will eventually show up on ebay or via auction house.

Good luck in your collecting,

Larry
Old 02-27-2018, 03:42 PM

I’m kind of frustrated with not adding anything to my collection lately either. Part of that is having a very narrow focus. I may need to start working on a few other things to collect.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre

Last edited by Rich Falvo; 02-27-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yep. Patience. Or develop a new focus, which gets even more expensive.

QUOTE=ls7plus;1752336]Hi, Steve.

You just have to be patient, as with the current growth in the hobby regarding demand for vintage cards (especially the rarest, most significant ones) due to the internet and a significant increase in the number of major auction houses featuring such material, more and more people are snapping them up. Just maintain your continuing searches. My opinion is that what you need will eventually show up on ebay or via auction house.

Good luck in your collecting,

Larry[/QUOTE]
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

this post caused me to think about my collection, which has been a work in progress for more than 4 decades. i wrote down my 5 rarest cards -- not necessarily most expensive but truly rare or at least scarce. 4 are pre-war and one is from the 1950s. 3 i bought in auctions, 1 at a NAtional and 1 in a private sale.

the years i got them were: 1985, 1990, 1991, 2001, 2012.

on 4 of the cards, i had seen less than 2 examples ever sell before i bought mine. on three of the cards, i've not seen an example come up for auction since i got mine.

i am in my late 60s. my collection likely will stay with me until i die.

i post all of this because i think there are a lot of collectors like me who when they add a truly rare card to their collection, it stays there. i am not a big fish in this hobby so i can imagine a lot of collectors with my mindset who instead of having 5 truly rare cards, have 20, 50, 100 or more.

even though you see many of the same high-grade and expensive cards come to auction every six months or so, there's a reason the really rare stuff doesnt.

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 02-27-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
this post caused me to think about my collection, which has been a work in progress for more than 4 decades. i wrote down my 5 rarest cards -- not necessarily most expensive but truly rare or at least scarce. 4 are pre-war and one is from the 1950s. 3 i bought in auctions, 1 at a NAtional and 1 in a private sale.

the years i got them were: 1985, 1990, 1991, 2001, 2012.

on 4 of the cards, i had seen less than 2 examples ever sell before i bought mine. on three of the cards, i've not seen an example come up for auction since i got mine.

i am in my late 60s. my collection likely will stay with me until i die.

i post all of this because i think there are a lot of collectors like me who when they add a truly rare card to their collection, it stays there. i am not a big fish in this hobby so i can imagine a lot of collectors with my mindset who instead of having 5 truly rare cards, have 20, 50, 100 or more.

even though you see many of the same high-grade and expensive cards come to auction every six months or so, there's a reason the really rare stuff doesnt.
+1(guppie)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 PM
pete ullman

Been so long since I have been able to add a Miller to my run. It’s a travesty! Someone please help ! E92 nadja, t216 type 1, t216 ve. ��

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-28-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 AM
je.sse @rnot

The rare and exceptional cards that pop up on eBay tend to sell before most have a chance to even see them. There are many out there searching. Unless they show up in a pwcc or probation auction. Then we all get a shot, and everyone complains about the crazy prices they sell for.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Hi Steve,

Listing buy prices for the issues you're interested in might help. I think it's been a successful method for some. It might shake some cards loose that are hidden in collections.

Last edited by DeanH3; 02-28-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:03 AM

Things I “need” keep popping up all the time. Problem is, I didn’t know I “needed” it until it popped up!!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Hi Steve,

Listing buy prices for the issues you're interested in might help. I think it's been a successful method for some. It might shake some cards loose that are hidden in collections.

The risk towards that is you might create a market against yourself. And you may overshoot significantly by re-rating the value of what you are buying. Not saying don’t offer above vcp, as I think you should pay what you feel is worth, but some expectations can get out of hand from some ask prices I fielded after I tried that route. Putting up a fair price may not shake loose those private collections. And providing a max offer way above market only frames the buyer in a disadvantage in negotiating a reasonable offer, as the seller usually then tries to ask for a price above that. For those MBA’ers, it’s a case of the BATNA’s. I guess the narrow road to walk is between what price would attract latent interest and providing some wiggle to make the deal work.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I posted a list of about 15 Gehrig pieces I need on BST and crickets. I guess like someone said these are the kind of things where people who have them aren't parting with them (absent emergency situation).
Old 02-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Joshua

Yup if it’s really rare I also got no response

Last edited by joshuanip; 02-28-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:23 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Joshua, I'm not disagreeing with what you said. I'm just throwing this out there for debate.

It's tough to determine the "Buy it Now" value of a rare item. If the last time an item publicaly sold was 8 years ago, how do you determine the price? Only way to determine its market value is to place it in an auction. Obviously that's not optimum for a person who wants to buy it now. So the person who wants it now might have to pay a price that might be overshooting its value. That seems to be the dilemma with rare pieces.

As someone on the boards once said. You don't overpay for an item, you just pay early. Or something to that effect.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Joshua, I'm not disagreeing with what you said. I'm just throwing this out there for debate.

It's tough to determine the "Buy it Now" value of a rare item. If the last time an item publicaly sold was 8 years ago, how do you determine the price? Only way to determine its market value is to place it in an auction. Obviously that's not optimum for a person who wants to buy it now. So the person who wants it now might have to pay a price that might be overshooting its value. That seems to be the dilemma with rare pieces.

As someone on the boards once said. You don't overpay for an item, you just pay early. Or something to that effect.
I’m not talking about stuff that was sold eight years ago. I’m talking about markup expectations from what was just sold last year. And I’m not talking at or even reasonably above premium. At some point I realize the item isn’t really for sale unless it’s for a King’s ransom and I just walk away from the table.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Joshua

Oh, speaking of not seeing a nice card in a while, there was a 1928 Yuengling Lou Gehrig PSA 4 that popped up on eBay. Not going to last long if I have anything to do with it...
Old 03-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A few great auctions coming up LOTG, Mile High and REA. Has to be something in those to go for!! And I know Brian Goldner (hey Brian) had great taste so I am anxious to see his collection sale in Mile High.

Last edited by Leon; 03-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A few great auctions coming up LOTG, Mile High and REA. Has to be something in those to go for!! And I know Brian Goldner (hey Brian) had great taste so I am anxious to see his collection sale in Mile High.
I have not bought anything since October. I have some things on my list, you think that's there is a ton out there, or just too picky.
As Leon mention, I been hearing great things coming up in the fore-mentioned auctions. Just maybe they have something, heck I know they will, its just the factor if I saved up enough to end up with it at the closing bell.
I always consider REA as my XMAS catalog.