NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Nick

Default Any chance this T206 Cobb is authentic?

I am struggling with this one and have yet to see it in person. I reach out to you, the experts to give your opinions and thoughts on this one before I take the time to go look at it. Not sure if the seller is willing to let me send it to PSA prior to purchase. Haven't gotten that far yet. Is there any chance in you know where that this card could be authentic? Was said to have been purchased at an estate sale here in town in an upscale neighborhood. I really appreciate everyone's advice here. Thanks

Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Bill Avery

I would say fake. The green is way to bright and anytime I see that crackle pattern on a card I know it is an aged reprint.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Nick

Yeah I was thinking the same on the green. Then my google search for PSA graded cards has a few with that bright of a color.

What's the crackle you speak of? (rookie here clearly) Thanks!

I am wishing this one is real, but am so gun-shy to take a chance and waste my very limited hard earned dollars.

Last edited by Slinger; 01-02-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Fake
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 PM
David Kathman

The combination of the bright green background and the dirty borders screams “fake” to me (probably artificially aged in tea or something). Clinching that verdict is the fact that, according to T206resource.com, green Cobb does not appear with an American Beauty 350 back. FAAAAAAAAKE.

http://t206resource.com/American%20B...Checklist.html
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
The combination of the bright green background and the dirty borders screams “fake” to me (probably artificially aged in tea or something). Clinching that verdict is the fact that, according to T206resource.com, green Cobb does not appear with an American Beauty 350 back. FAAAAAAAAKE.

http://t206resource.com/American%20B...Checklist.html
The color is ridiculous, and David is right, there is no such thing as a Cobb Green with an American Beauty 350 back.

Last edited by Sean; 01-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 PM
Nick

You guys are awesome! So glad that I found and joined this forum. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 PM
Bill Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
What's the crackle you speak of? (rookie here clearly) Thanks!
When a card looks like cracked pavement it is a good indication that someone tried to age the card. Kind of looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracked-asphalt-closeup.jpg (79.0 KB, 407 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Mike

Default Then again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
When a card looks like cracked pavement it is a good indication that someone tried to age the card. Kind of looks like this.
As long as its not a T207 ... which crazes in a not too un-similar fashion (though most often on a small scale).
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 AM
Scott Russell

Also the printing of his name is one of the telltale signs of a fake, they never match the font or the color exactly right.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 AM
Paul

Bad fake and a poor attempt at artificial aging

-Color is wrong
-Cracks on surface filled with tea (or another stain)
-Font is bad
-Corners were clipped with scissors and them someone tried to make them look rounded by rubbing hem down
-American Beauty cards are thinner than that and would have thinner front borders side to side

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am glad the OP didn't get taken by spending money on a fake; the board should be all about helping collectors learn more, and there is plenty I don't know about the hobby.

But I am always at least somewhat surprised when new posters come on here and ask if raw high-dollar cards like a 52T Mantle or a green Cobb T206 are real. There is a reason cards that would be high dollar cards like that are being sold raw. Chances of finding some amazing steal of an iconic card are very small.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-03-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I am glad the OP didn't get taken by spending money on a fake; the board should be all about helping collectors learn more, and there is plenty I don't know about the hobby.

But I am always at least somewhat surprised when new posters come on here and ask if raw high-dollar cards like a 52T Mantle or a green Cobb T206 are real. There is a reason cards that would be high dollar cards like that are being sold raw. Chances of finding some amazing steal of an iconic card are very small.
I agree, and although there is no proof, I can't help but think these "new" guys are the scammer/forgers themselves and we provide them with everything they need to know in order to make their fakes better.

I say, if you are a true collector, post some of your collection/memorabilia and prove, through some means, that it is indeed your's.

Countless times this happens. A few posts to find out if something is real or not, then they disappear.

My thoughts, anyways.

Last edited by irv; 01-03-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record I just spoke with the OP on the phone. While it's almost impossible to be 100% about some registration things, our new member seemed like a nice young guy on an unexpected phone call, who had a few dingers thrown at him. There is a large percentage of the time, in my experiences, that when the OP passes this kind of scrutiny they turn out ok.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For the record I just spoke with the OP on the phone. While it's almost impossible to be 100% about some registration things, our new member seemed like a nice young guy on an unexpected phone call, who had a few dingers thrown at him. There is a large percentage of the time, in my experiences, that when the OP passes this kind of scrutiny they turn out ok.

I am glad to hear that, Leon. Hopefully, the OP stays around here and develops a love of the hobby. My intent with my earlier post was not to sound harsh. The board is wonderful for how helpful it is.

But the chances are of finding a steal of an iconic raw Cobb/Mantle/Ruth/Wagner card are pretty close to zero. There aren't a whole lot of posts asking if a $50 T206 is real, although it does happen once in a while.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-03-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Nick

Again, I appreciate all of your input and experience. You have helped me avoid wasting money.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Brandon
Banned

Fake, The colors definitely off. I think the back gives it away too.