NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Bob

Does anyone know where and when the next Philly card show will be? I know the last two were in Reading.

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: MVSNYC

i think reading again in september...(yawn)

Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

October 12 - 14 in Reading. Yawn, indeed.

http://www.phillyshow.org/nextshow.htm

Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Jim Rivera

Ted Z.,

i will be there on sat. morning with many cards to show you and much to talk about. i love those long conversations and all the knowledge you share with me no matter where the show is
talk to you soon

Old 05-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Mike Pugeda

I agree that the Ft. Washington show is not what it once was. But aside from the National, what other legitimate card shows exist to find vintage material? The pricing of dealers inventory is often times laughable. I'm not sure why I even go, but there's just something about seeing an item you like in person and the instant gratification that comes along with purchasing on the spot. There are still some deals to be had, but they are few and far between. I've only been to one National in the past ten years, and yes, the material was better, but again prices were in the stratosphere.

I have seen the light for me personally, and it is e-bay. I feel that you can still find items at nice prices if you take the time to look. I also find that my collecting habits change frequently as prices become higher.

It's easy to knock the Ft. Washington show, but the truth is, without it we'd all have one less decent show to attend.

Mike Pugeda

Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Jimmy Piccuito

I am hoping this location is not forever, I have not been to the last few shows. This coming fall I will give it a try and setup with one of the dealers I know. The show still has a lot of the same dealers, just does not have the same appeal.

Take care

Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

wish someone would organize an NYC show!

jeff, barry, joe d.- let's discuss this at the next dinner...maybe we could put one together?

MS

Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Jimmy

White Plains and Hofstra are the only decent ones - It would be great to have a bigger show in New York

Jimmy

Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

There were great BB card shows in NYC during the 1980's at what presently is hotel opposite MSG
and also The Armenian Church.
In the '90s the big events were at Sotheby's.

Now, it's too expensive....too inconvenient....and downright just too impractical to have a BB card
show in the city.

The Philly Show is still the best one between the East coast and Chicago, whether it's in Reading,
Ft Washington, or Willow Grove.

In this Internet age, I do not understand why collectors can't get together and carpool from NY,
or NJ, or elsewhere, to make the trip to Reading ?

Has the convenience of Ebay been that strong a deterent to a real time experience that you used
enjoy and look forward to ?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Ted- it has nothing to do with the drive...i have done it many times...

with all due respect to the dealers, it has to do with the lack of great material. the last couple of shows, i saw hardly any high-grade or rare T206's, for example.

any given night on eBay, i'll find both.

beleive me, i would RATHER meet face to face and mingle and buy stuff in cash right on the spot...there is just such a lack of what i, and most collectors, want at reading.

show me the goods, and i'll drive out there.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: barrysloate

I think the reason there are no shows in NYC is it is plain too expensive. Both the cost of renting space and the cost of hotels is prohibitive. I hardly think it is inconvenient. The National runs in Los Angeles and that's not very convenient from Brooklyn.

In the early 1980's there was a regular show at the Armenian Church, which was around 34th Street and Second Avenue. But when it ended it was rare for a show to pop up in this area. I doubt it could ever be done cheaply here.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Rich Klein

He told me he looked into MSG and was quoted a rental fee of $5K for the weekend. However, when he said, wow, where do I sign, THEN he was told about all the unions (no comments please either way) and how much it would cost. Well, that's why the National ended up at the Aspen Hotel in Parsipanny as the overall cost was much more beneficial to keep the dealer table costs down to a normal level.

Regards
Rich

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Bruce Perry

I also do not understand other than the prohibitive cost and union problems why there are not more, and better shows in the greater NY area and on the east coast....the atlantic city national in 2003 was a fine show...much better than anaheim was in 2000 or 2006...the amount of desirable pre ww 1 cards there in atlantic city was mind boggling.....I live on the west coast and would gladly traverse the country to a great show to look for these hard to find pre ww1 cards in person..I heard even the reading (fort washington/willow grove)show has gone down hill...the last time I was there in sept 2005 it was not as good as the previous march 2005 and sept 2004..the internet is fine but buying in person will never be equaled....now the main issue facing collectors/dealers looking for cards today is that most of the interesting and quality cards are being absorbed by the BIG PRIVATE AUCTION companies....so unless you want to bid in them...there is material on ebay, but the quality and hard to find cards are rarely on there compared to all these big auction companies......and there are a plethora of them....it is too bad, as shows may never be the same again...and that was when, imo, the business/hobby was the most enjoyable

Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Alan

Even though the Reading (Ft. Washington) show is not as good as it used to be for vintage material, it is still one of the very best shows in the country.

In general, there are few good shows. The short version is that all of the good material is in the auction houses and ebay plus the fact that the physical facilities are costing the promoter a lot of money & he or she has to charge dealers a lot for the tables, who infact have to charge buyers a lot for the cards.

You need to go to shows for the social aspect (meeting collector, dealers, meet-ups, etc,...) and you won't be disappointed if you don't find stuff...

Alan

Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

I have to disagree with you....If you get to the Philly Show on Friday when the doors open, you
will find some great stuff. By 8 PM on Friday nite most of the best stuff has been sold.
And, there is no excuse not to be there on Friday if you are a serious collector.

I have done this Show since March of 1981, and despite a heavy working schedule back then, I
would always schedule a vacation day on a particular Friday every March and September (and
subsequently May and December, also) well in advance.

I lost count of all the Philly Shows, as I have (with the exception of one) done all of them since
1981. That also includes the former Seashore Show in Ocean City, NJ every Summer.

And, I will tell you for a fact....I have never been disappointed in Selling....Buying....or Acquiring
sports cards for my collection. Every one of these Shows have been outstanding for me. Barry
Sloate and Mark Macrae can vouch for the veracity of this statement, as I have always shared
my experience at the Show with them, afterwards.

You and I most likely have different collecting preferences; however, from limited discussions we
have had....I don't think they are that dissimilar. Therefore, I am finding it difficult to understand
how this Show has nothing to offer you.

TED Z

Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: barrysloate

Ted- you've done very well at the Philly shows, and have established yourself there as a presence. But I do think in general shows are on the wane. The best material will continue to go the auction and ebay route, and that will only increase. The shows will never go away, but their significance will change. They will be more for interacting than for transacting.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

Posted By: Joe

To reiterate points in previous posts: the costs of doing ANY antiques and collectibles shows other than high-end events is over in the NYC metro area. We are all sad about that.

But the fact remains that "Philly" is the only sports show worth going to in the Northeast. What you CAN wish for is that the show takes the same route as, say, the semi-annual Vintage Guitar show, which was also based in Fort Washington and--after a stint in Reading--is now moving to SOMERSET, NJ--which is closer even to NY than Philadelphia!! I live in NYC and have attended most of the Philly shows for the past decade AND I DON'T DRIVE! Reading is farther, and much less accessible for my handicap. I'd love to carpool out there with anyone who wants to go....until they settle in SOMERSET!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default Philly Show

ted- i hear what you are saying...let me clarify, i totally enjoy the philly/ft.wash/reading show. i have had some good memories there and have bought some great things over the years...and of course met some cool people. i have found that some of the recent shows have less and less great material. and yes ted, we actually have similiar tastes and wants (rare T206's)...i just think, to barry's point, more of the better cards are going to eBay...

best-
MS